Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
I don’t have knowledge on this topic or anything special to contribute but I did see this article on the racehorse doping scandal and thought y’all would be interested though I expect you are both already aware.

https://www.espn.com/horse-racing/st...rged-drug-scam
Yes, thank you for that contribution.

These are painful things to see in our industry.
When you watch a race, and you see the margins of victory, you know that any little edge you can give an animal means big rewards for your owners.
When you look under the hood, these people are also endangering the lives of these beautiful animals.

Note that John Servis, who's Maximum Security was mentioned earlier in this thread, is the most prominent name mentioned. What a pity that this horse's great accomplishments will forever be cast in doubt. All of the owner's horses are being transferred to Bob Baffert as soon as they can be loaded on a plane. (a shame that this horse will now race on the West Coast instead of the East Coast, but that's another story).

This is a reason why vigorous testing and scrupulous management of the sport must occur. I'm sure most people are only interested in the betting and the product on the track. For those of us who have participated in the sport, and love these animals, and want to participate with an even chance, this is a pox on our sport. Most owners and trainers are a decent sort. There is great camaraderie on the backstretch. But there is strong feelings about wanting the level playing field.

I knew an owner who fed chocolate to his horse a few days before a race once. It was innocent. He knew better, but he did it. His trainer didn't know. But his horse won a check and was tested, and the test came back positive for caffiene. The testing is that good for known things. The guy fessed up and took his punishment. I've fed my horses plenty of (permitted) stuff (carrots, jelly donuts). That's how we treat and love our animals. Only veterinarians are supposed to inject or stick tubes into the stomachs of these horses to administer medications. It is illegal to have syringes at race track or training facility, unless you are a Vet. These things are regulated. These trainers know this and are finding ways to cheat. I note that some of these charges include mislabeling of medications. They must also be meds that are not tested for, or get metabolized quickly. There is a long history of the testers being just behind the cheaters. Not today perhaps.

Larry
DevilHorse
Who NEVER had a horse test for a Positive!!