Page 6 of 14 FirstFirst ... 45678 ... LastLast

Honor A.P. takes Top Honors

Well that was interesting.

Authentic took a bit of a right turn coming out of the gate (no doubt sending Devilwin's heart a flutter), he was the outside horse, so no biggie, but he caught up to the lead pack in a few steps, but did not take the lead. Authentic went 3 wide around the first turn and kept that outside position through the second turn. Honor A.P. got away 5th but right behind Authentic, 3 wide, but in the second tier of horses, just a couple of lengths back. Shooters Shoot led the whole way on the rail, and gave the packs a lively pace, but he gave way as they came out of the final turn. Mike Smith pulled Honor A.P. and told him it was time to go to work, and he started his brush, with those long strides and flashy white socks against his dark bay muscular body. Authentic was also attempting to make his move, but it was minor. As Honor A.P. pulled to the lead, Authentic attempted to respond, but did not appear to take up the challenge. Authentic went with the eventual winner for a 100 yards, but then faded, holding 2nd over the closing Rushie. Honor A.P. pulled away to a 2 3/4 length victory. Shooters Shoot was never loose on the lead, so it couldn't have been relaxing for him.

Honor A.P. looked to be coming into this race primed for a good effort. And he needed the points to qualify for the KY Derby in September. So this was not a surprise. If you bet a $2 Exacta box, you got back a $1 profit. Not bad for a days work.

Bob Baffert had a most disappointing day and week. First Nadal broke down and was retired. Just before the race, it was announced that Charlatan had a filling in his leg and would have it operated on, and is likely out of the Derby (possible for the Preakness), and Authentic's lackluster 2nd place finish in the Santa Anita Derby. All was not lost on the day since Baffert won the Hollywood Gold Cup with Improbable (last year's Kentucky Derby favorite) with a dominating win.

A word about Charlatan. I still is not obvious if that horse's last race will be disqualified, thus losing 100 Kentucky Derby points, because of the Lidocaine positive. Every day a horse is treated (usually 6 days a week.. perhaps 7 for these high priced types) the day ends with their legs being treated with some sauve, and wrapped to protect it from the knee down; the bottoms of their feet (the frogs) are trowelled with some gunk to help protect it from injury or dry rot that can start to infect a horse's delicate tissue. Young horse's may sleep on their side at night, but most horse's will sleep standing on 3 or 4 legs. In the morning, the first thing that is done when a groom or trainer addresses the horse is to unwrap each leg and feel each tendon closely to be sure there are no bows or filling to indicate an injury that could occur overnight. The filling (swelling) that was felt slightly in Charlatan's lower leg is an indication of some insult that could have occurred in training, walking, or kicking his stable wall; who knows. But it indicates injury and has to be addressed, otherwise worse things can occur. Anecdotally, I heard several trainers mention that 90% of things that go wrong with a horse are below the knee. You can believe that.

Honor A.P. received a 102 Beyer Figure for his effort. Supporters of this horse think he will continue to get better as the races get longer and just as his sire Honor Code did. He favors his father in looks, gait, and his maturation style so much, it is impossible not to draw these comparissons (which I've done several times earlier in this thread). Honor Code is a son of A.P. Indy, who also had a distinct, low head running style. The Seattle Slew sire line marches on.

I don't think Authentic was in sync today. It may also be that Baffert wanted this race to be more of an educational experience for this colt (It isn't a Classic race; the colt has enough points for the KY Derby). It is rare for any horse to win Classic distance races on the front all the time. Perhaps there was an attempt to rate him. Hopefully this brilliant colt will have gotten some smarts out of this race and will be back soon. This was only his 4th race. He was good, but we have been expecting brilliant. Being 3 to 4 paths wide the whole race and finishing second is no disgrace; that's extra ground to cover. Honor A.P. actually covered more distance (as was calculated by Trakus) in the race so no excuse to be found. Just second best today. I look for better things from this colt.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Last edited by DevilHorse; 06-07-2020 at 09:34 AM.

He had a bad trip.. He'll be back...Baffert's only good one now..

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    He had a bad trip.. He'll be back...Baffert's only good one now..
    Baffert has a barn full of mutant million dollar 3YOs, and a bottle of radioactive spiders that he lets loose once a week in his barn.
    A new 3YO colt is liable to show up at any time to pick up the mantle and take a shot at a big race, if less than a full complement of horses were to enter.
    Arrogate appeared out of no-where in August as 3YO, won 4 straight races and $17million. It doesn't happen everyday, but.. it happened.
    There's opportunities to get Derby Points all summer long. You just never know with Baffert.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Bizarre!!!

In a truly bizarre happening, this Wednesday at Gulfstream Park, in the 9th race, two of the top 10 horses for the Kentucky Derby will appear in a $55K Optional Claiming event. Ete Indian and Sole Volente have been dropped into a relatively minor race, to get an inter-Stakes tune-up with the Belmont 12 days away. Honor A.P. is considering it, and he ran 2 days ago; that would be 14 days.
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1290780

Where do I begin to describe how many ways this is weird?
    • OK, so these horses should qualify easily for September's Kentucky Derby; but they are essentially declaring themselves out of the Belmont. I can't see this as a 1 mile tune-up. This would be 10 days; wow.
    • Sometimes a track will write a race for a horse that needs a tune-up, when there aren't stakes available, but really? Is the Stakes schedule that screwed up that they can't find a minor stake to put these animals into?
    • There are Maiden Special Weights going for a higher purse than these established Top Flight 3YOs. This is the Marquis Division in the Thoroughbred breed, and they are running for bubkis.
    • These horses are surely insured for after race-track value. They may not win their insurance payment. I remember when Seattle Slew was a 4YO, his insurance payment was $100K per race. OK, he was already a Triple Crown winner, but ...

Now you get not one but two top horses in an over-night race in the middle of the week. Wow, mid-week Triple Crown fun.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Maxfield Bolts the Belmont

So you thought that Horse Racing was checkers, but it is really 3-D Chess:

Maxfield, who is stabled at Keeneland in Kentucky, has decided NOT to go to the Belmont, and is explicitly pointing toward the Kentucky Derby via the Blue Grass Stakes (run at Keeneland).
    https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...Blue_Grass_123

This takes away from the lustre of what could have been a much more exciting Belmont, and Triple Crown. We'll certainly see about that. With the defections/loss of Nadal, Charlatan, and now Maxfield, we'll see who is there to challenge Tiz The Law in this unusual 3YO Colt year. Could this have been the target of Ete Indian and Sole Volente? Time will tell.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Quote Originally Posted by DevilHorse View Post
    Baffert has a barn full of mutant million dollar 3YOs, and a bottle of radioactive spiders that he lets loose once a week in his barn.
    A new 3YO colt is liable to show up at any time to pick up the mantle and take a shot at a big race, if less than a full complement of horses were to enter.
    Arrogate appeared out of no-where in August as 3YO, won 4 straight races and $17million. It doesn't happen everyday, but.. it happened.
    There's opportunities to get Derby Points all summer long. You just never know with Baffert.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Well that didn't take long.

It appears that a firster for Baffert named Cezanne, won his first race on Sunday, just a couple of races before the Santa Anita Derby. He had some bullet workouts and cost $3.65M. Cezanne was rated and won by a couple of lengths in a 6.5 furlong affair. He beat a couple of high priced firsters in a decent time. This horse was the big favorite (all of Baffert's firsters are). He is likely headed east to try and pick up some KY Derby points to try and qualify for the Sept 5 main race of the Triple Crown.

Let's not kid ourselves at this point. With the defections from the Belmont, it is obvious that the Triple Crown is a sideshow to winning the Kentucky Derby. That is what 3YO racing is all about. Having this later in the year has made it all the more interesting.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Updated Schedule

You bring up an interesting situation, which has just become even more interesting today.

I saw a more detailed presentation of the new points and race set-up toward the Kentucky Derby, and it looks like this:

KYD Points: 150-60-30-15:
    Preakness - TBD # Genius: I want to win the Preakness only so I have enough points to be in the KY Derby... Genius
    Belmont - TBD # Like the top one or two horses from the Preakness and Belmont wouldn't rate a start in the KY Derby? Sure, let a horse that finished 3rd in the Rebel in first. Genius move!

KYD Points: 100-40-30-10:
    Santa Anita Derby - June 6th
    Haskell - July 18th
    Blue Grass - TBD

KYD Points: 50-20-10-5:
    Matt Winn - May 23rd
    Shared Belief - TBD # Jim Rome was a part owner
    Ellis Park Derby - TBD

KYD Points: 20-8-4-2:
    Los Alamitos Derby - July 4th
    Pegasus Stakes - August 15th
    Indiana Derby - TBD

No additional information on International races for points.. who knows, maybe a grass race at Royal Ascot

So the powers that be are definitely considering the "Preakness/Belmont" before the KY Derby option rather than after.
    With those races scoring points for the Derby.

Would they be virtual (no spectators)? That will depend on the state of the virus at the time. But I would venture a guess that it will NEVER be a free for all. Owners maybe. Limited, masked covered people, absolutely. But no bacchanal in the center field at Pimlico, you can be sure. Kegasus will be kept in the stable.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    OK, the schedule and points have solidified for the KY Derby Points:

Belmont Stakes 20- June -20 100-40-20-10
    Unicorn Stakes (JPN) 21-June-20 40-16-8-4
    Ohio Derby 27-June-20 20-8-4-2

Los Alamitos Derby 4-July-20 20-8-4-2
    Indiana Derby 8-July-20 20-8-4-2
    Japan Dirt Derby 8-July-20 40-16-8-4
    Blue Grass Stakes 11-July -20 100-40-20-10
    Haskell Invitational 18-July-20 100-40-20-10

Shared Belief 1-Aug-20 50-20-10-5
    Pegasus Stakes 15-Aug-20 20-8-4-2
    Ellis Park Derby (dropped)

Kentucky Derby 5-Sept-20

Interestingly, some major races for 3YO are left off this list. I'm thinking about the Jim Dandy and the Travers.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Today's 9th at Gulfstream - Derby Implications

Today's unusual race at Gulfstream includes the following entrants:

Ete Indian - #6 - 74 points
    With Verve - Beat Shivaree in the Hutchison, 2 races ago (no Derby points)
    Shivaree - #12 - 40 points
    Sole Volante - #16 - 30 points

This race is for $55K and runs for less money than Maidens on the same card. it is ultra competitive. These horses may be getting different things out of this race. There are no Derby points available in today's race, so what could these horses be looking for today?

Ete Indian's last race was the Florida Derby where he was washed out (looked nervous, white lather between hind legs) and ran a lesser race. He has miler written all over him, and this is a mile race. He does not need points to run in the Derby. I think he may be in for a rating lesson today. He will need it to be successful in the Derby. Jesus' Team has early speed, but he will not win this race.

With Verve has no Derby points, but he has shown promise by beating Shivaree. I think he is a serious contender and will vie for top honors to consider running in a real points race later in the season.

Shivaree has been a sprinter and a stalker. A surprise 2nd place at 80-1 suggests he can run with the big boys. He goes back to a mile. Expect him to dog the pace again and re-establish credentials.

Sole Volente is the likely horse to come from behind and win it with natural speed and up front/close-up horses. At a one turn mile, he may not have enough track to do his thing, so he'll also have to be close.

Forecast is good, and this race should be competitive. This could be a very fast mile for the GP oval.
    If Ete Indian goes to the front, I think he can win it. If he comes from off the pace, then the race will be slower and Sole Volente will have a shot

These horses do not know who has the points and who doesn't. They change rapidly at this point in their lives.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Most interesting.

The temperature was 90 degrees fahrenheit, but the pace was torrid between Ete Indian and Shivaree, who looked eye to eye for the whole backstretch of this one-turn mile. Sole Volente, the second choice, was last and 9 lengths back. By the time they hit the turn, Sole Volente started his move and methodically reeled horses in. Ete Indian started to collapse at the head of the stretch, but Shivaree kept on. It did not look like Sole Volente was touched as he continued to move forward in the stretch. Ex-$25k claimer Jesus' Team also took advantage of the tiring pace setters by briefly taking the lead, but Sole Volente had him measured and won by a widening 3/4 of a length in a peppy 1:34.8.

I expect that Sole Volente will move forward from this race. Will he try the Belmont in 10 days, I don't know. It did not look like this race took a lot out of him, but this race was run in hot conditions; all of the horses looked a bit stressed. Shivaree set a torrid pace with Ete Indian, and finished third by 1 1/2; nice effort.

Ete Indian and Sole Volente have the same trainer, Patrick Biancone; but different ownership groups. So I would think that Ete Indian was not "sacrificed" to set the pace for Sole Volente.

It is on to the Belmont!

Larry
    DevilHorse

Cool

Just a warm up email before the Belmont entries come out on Wednesday...

Bob Baffert mentioned on Wednesday that he is pointing Authentic to the Grade I Haskell on July 18th.
    What some guys won't do to get a good Hot Dog.
    Also pointing toward that race is Ete Indian.

Starting Today (Tuesday through Friday) starts Royal Ascot (8am on NBCSN).
    Of course, the highlight is seeing those magnificent horses and carriages bringing the royals in at the beginning over the track.
    Who will be in those (approximately) 4 carriages. Queen Elizabeth usually attends (at least) the first day as she really likes the ponies and owns many thoroughbreds.
    She has been known to attend the Queen's Plate in Canada.
    Sorry, I don't expect Harry and Megan this year; I hear they are closer to Santa Anita.
    Prince William and Kate Middleton are a better bet.
    I don't know if there will be people in the stands or social distancing. Bring out the royal 10 foot polls!

Larry
    DevilHorse

Belmont entries should be out later today.

In the meantime, we have the following article on the likely entries and speed figures:
    https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...ed_figures_123

Tiz The Law looks like a shoe in, but not so fast.
    The morning line, and probable post time favorite's only loss was on an off track.
    Right now, they are talking rain on Friday and possible storms on Saturday afternoon in NYC.
    Could this affect the race?

I haven't looked at the PP's yet, but where will the pace come from?
    There will be a lot of closers and stalkers in the field.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Guys,

A quick set of pointers to the Program Pages, in case you wanted to look them over early (I haven't looked myself):

Here are some of the interesting races at Belmont on the day:

Race 2 - The Woody Stephens (Woody won 5 Belmont Stakes in a row: take that Joe Dimaggio)
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...28&param3=1380

This edition include Mischevious Alex, who won the Gotham, which was his 3rd race in a row, and has disappeared for 3 months.

Race 6 - Wonder Again (The return of Sweet Melania)
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...&param3=799920

Race 8 - The Acorn (First Leg of the Triple Tiara)
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1066560

Gamine appears after that apparent lidocaine positive at Oaklawn Park

Race 9 - The Jaipur
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1199880

The enigmatic Hidden Scroll returns after throwing his jockey.

Race 10 - The Belmont
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1333200

No excuses for Tiz The Law

And, for the intellectual Dukies:
    Race 12
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1599840

Hunch bet is #6 Kierkegaard out of the sire Freud. Sometimes a horse is just a horse.

Larry
    DevilHorse

The Belmont and the Woody Stephens

Just a couple of comments about a couple of the races on Saturday.

In the Belmont, it looks as if there may be an honest pace. The 1, Tap It To Win, and probably the 6, Fore Left, will vie for the lead. The 6 was a last minute entry into the Belmont. Originally pointed toward the 7F Woody Stephens, trainer Doug O'Neill decided to go with the richer and more prestigious Belmont. The Woody Stephens actually looks to have come up as a more competitive race IMHO. With Mischevious Alex, Echo Town, and No Parole being top sprinters with high win rates or showing high speed. Perhaps Fore Left can steal a top 3 finish in the Belmont, which would pay well.

Tiz The Law looks like the top pick in the Belmont. Except for a third on a very muddy track, he has been great. He is the best of the exciting young sire Constitution whose get are winning all over the country. Expect him to track behind the pace setters by 2 or 3 lengths, and start his move on the far turn. Sole Volente will have plenty of track to make his move; and assuming he stays off the rail, he should not be blocked. Farmington Road is the proverbial horse that usually starts way back and never gets to the front. He is Singh, Run Dusty Run, Sanhedrin, Cryptoclearance; but if things break right, you never know; even Spectacular Bid got beat.

I've got to go with Mischievious Alex on Class in the Woody Stephens.

Gamine in the Acorn if she runs (not on drugs). Baffert doesn't ship to lose.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Larry
    DevilHorse

No rain at the track yesterday, nor overnight.

Hot and humid today with a chance of thundershowers (30%). A typical Belmont day.

I made my predictions. All of the local papers are trying to outsmart themselves to pick over Tiz The Law because he's been off for 3 months. At your own peril my friends. Anyone else picking?

Larry
    DevilHorse

Tiz The Law starts out the Triple Crown Quest

Very nice day of racing at the big oval at Elmont NY.

Tiz The Law broke well from the 8th post. Stalked a decent pace in 3rd position, just a couple of lengths off the pace. The early speed did their job, but could not hold off the bay son of Constitution midway through the turn. Tiz The Law just opened up from there and was not threatened as he opened up to a 4 length victory, with Manuel Franco just keeping busy to prevent any slacking off. Dr. Post emerged from the outside to take second place, with Max Player third, with relatively little suspense for the minor honors.

Sole Volente showed that he was not able to shake off racing only 10 days prior. He was within his usual striking distance, but there was no answer from him, finsihing 6th some 15 lengths back.

The time was a good 1:46 and 2/5. Just a second off Secretariat's track record for the distance. His 1:45 2/5 was set in September 1973 in the Marlboro Cup carrying 2 lbs less, beating his stablemate Riva Ridge (the previous year's Kentucky Derby winner). Tiz The Law received a 100 Beyer figure for his race.

An eye popping race, earlier in the day, was put in by Gamine in the Acorn (first race of the Triple Tiara). She won by 18 lengths in a stakes record time, earning a 110 Beyer figure. The second test results for Charlatan and Gamine (for Lidocaine) are still pending, but most outlets are suggesting that these were technical drug infractions rather than nefarious attempts to get an edge by giving the horse a prohibited substance. Nothing to see here.

No Parole was outstanding, leading from gate to wire in the Woody Stephens. Also received a 100 Beyer figure.

So what's next. The Sackatoga Stable people, who own Tiz The Law, are New York people through and through. They will race the horse in the rescheduled Travers in early August at Saratoga (their backyard track), and then pivot to the Kentucky Derby.

This sets up the alternate route to the Kentucky Derby through the Haskell at Monmouth Park in New Jersey. Honor A.P., Authentic, Maxfield.. will they avoid Tiz The Law and run in the Haskell? Baffert loves the concessions at the Jersey Shore, so we know where he's going.

Happy Fathers Day to all the great sires, step-sires, and grand-sires out there!

Larry
    DevilHorse
    Last edited by DevilHorse; 06-21-2020 at 10:19 AM.

The Ohio Derby

The Kentucky Derby Points Show takes a road trip to Ohio this weekend to Thistledown Racetrack where the top 4 finishers will be vying for 20-8-4-1 KY Derby Points.

Here are the PPs, courtesy of Briswatch:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1357440

This could be a wide open affair:

You will have a full field of question marks. More horses dropped in the box than there are starting spots, so there are a number of Also Eligibles (AEs) that are hoping to scratch into the race.
    The money is nice ($500K) but so too would be the Derby Points.
    Only 2 horses in the field have them so far, the logical favorite, Storm The Court (#15 with 32 points) and Lebda (way back with only 2 points).

Storm The Court
    was you Breeder's Cup Juvenile winner, and has fallen on tough times since then. His worst outing was his last one, finishing sixth to Nadal in the Arkansas Derby (almost 6 months ago). He is here to get some confidence, a few derby points, and right the ship. Storm The Court is a closer, and he will have some pace in the race with some speed horses in here who do not figure in the final tally. Storm The Court will be carrying 4 to 6 more pounds than all of the other horses. He picks up 4 pounds from the Ark Derby, while most other horses are picking up 2 pounds from their last race. However, Storm The Court likely has the class to beat these horses, if he is in good health, and can stay clear of traffic problems. Flavian Prat is coming in to ride this horse, so he means to win.

Lebda looks to be the next best horse. Lebda has been improving as a 3YO, and has won his last 2 races at shorter distances. He'll stalk the pace and is likely to be in the lead as they turn for home. But he will have to up his game to hold off this crew. Even if Lebda wins, he will not have enough Derby Points to get into the top 20 (will be tied for 21st), so he will have more work to do this summer. His regular rider will be up.

Rowdy Yates (not the swimmer) returns from racing in Asia to take a stab more locally. He has not gone this far, but has been training smartly. I give him a shot to advance for Asmussen who has been scoring in stakes recently.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Derby Pool 5 and Cafe Pharoah

Folks,

More Kentucky Derby input for you.

Here are up to date Derby Past Performances, courtesy of Brisnet:
    http://www.brisnet.com/wp-content/up...y20Future5.pdf
    This is Derby Pool #5
    Because of the elongated Road to the Derby, there will actually be 7 Derby Pools.
    Right now, DevilWin can get odds of 8-1 on Authentic; better than you're going to get in the Derby.

Also, bonus Youtube video of a race, with Derby Points (40) of the Unicorn Stakes from Japan, as #16 Cafe Pharoah makes his move toward the derby:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pOvq3v8-Luo
    This video may be in Japanese, but I think you can make out which horse is Cafe Pharoah.
    If you recall, when we last saw Cafe Pharoah, he pulled off an amazing last to first win in a field of about 20, in the mud.

Larry
    DevilHorse

The Kentucky Derby Points Show takes a road trip to Ohio this weekend to Thistledown Racetrack where the top 4 finishers will be vying for 20-8-4-1 KY Derby Points.

Here are the PPs, courtesy of Briswatch:
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...param3=1357440

This could be a wide open affair:

You will have a full field of question marks. More horses dropped in the box than there are starting spots, so there are a number of Also Eligibles (AEs) that are hoping to scratch into the race.
    The money is nice ($500K) but so too would be the Derby Points.
    Only 2 horses in the field have them so far, the logical favorite, Storm The Court (#15 with 32 points) and Lebda (way back with only 2 points).

Storm The Court
    was you Breeder's Cup Juvenile winner, and has fallen on tough times since then. His worst outing was his last one, finishing sixth to Nadal in the Arkansas Derby (almost 6 months ago). He is here to get some confidence, a few derby points, and right the ship. Storm The Court is a closer, and he will have some pace in the race with some speed horses in here who do not figure in the final tally. Storm The Court will be carrying 4 to 6 more pounds than all of the other horses. He picks up 4 pounds from the Ark Derby, while most other horses are picking up 2 pounds from their last race. However, Storm The Court likely has the class to beat these horses, if he is in good health, and can stay clear of traffic problems. Flavian Prat is coming in to ride this horse, so he means to win.

Lebda looks to be the next best horse. Lebda has been improving as a 3YO, and has won his last 2 races at shorter distances. He'll stalk the pace and is likely to be in the lead as they turn for home. But he will have to up his game to hold off this crew. Even if Lebda wins, he will not have enough Derby Points to get into the top 20 (will be tied for 21st), so he will have more work to do this summer. His regular rider will be up.

Rowdy Yates (not the swimmer) returns from racing in Asia to take a stab more locally. He has not gone this far, but has been training smartly. I give him a shot to advance for Asmussen who has been scoring in stakes recently.

Larry
    DevilHorse
    There were no answers in the Ohio Derby, with respect to the Kentucky Derby.

Dean Martini, a 14-1 shot, took the lead at the head of the stretch and didn't give it up. The closers couldn't catch up to him. Perhaps slower early fractions had something to do with it. South Bend finished Second by 3/4 of a length, and Storm The Court probably showed a little life finishing 2 lengths further back. Nothing more to look at here.

For people interested in the wider Thoroughbred sport, big performances by Midnight Bisou and Tom's D'Etat stamped themselves as top horses in their division with tremendous wins at Churchill Downs.

Larry

Cezanne Midweek Treat

Here is an article on what is next for Bob Baffert's notable horses's
    https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne..._standouts_123

Interesting items:

One of his upstarts, Cezanne, will make his second start this Thursday (7/2/2020):
    http://www.brisnet.com/php/bw_pdf_vi...&param3=767600

Cezanne is a $3.65M horse, and you can expect some bridgejumping action. So if you want to make a nickel on each dollar you bet, bet to Place or Show if they have those pools.
    With Santa Anita closed, and Del Mar yet to open, this is as good a race as Baffert will get. A mile race is a step forward after a very nice 6.5 furlong debut.

Interesting that they say Nadal is "probably" retired. Perhaps they imply that they will bring him back if he doesn't pass his fertility test for next year. It happens. Cigar says hello.

There are Derby points to be had this coming weekend at the Los Alamitos Derby on the Fourth of July. We'll see later who is running.

Larry
    DevilHorse

Would it be too wacky if two fillies were aiming toward the Kentucky Derby this year?

Swiss Skydiver's connections are seriously looking at going to next week's Blue Grass stakes.
    https://www.horseracingnation.com/ne...I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this.I'm a real wanker for saying this._Stakes_123

She would get an 11 lb weight swing from the expected top contender in the race; wow!

Gamine would be the other obvious filly possibility.

Larry
    DevilHorse