Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 678
    Quote Originally Posted by UrinalCake View Post
    Guys, I rewatched the video about a dozen times using really high quality studio headphones. Right before K blows a gasket you can faintly hear that a small group of Crazies are loudly chanting “How’s your grandma?”
    I hear you loud and clear. I got a pair of high-end hearing aids not long ago. I was greatly relieved to find out the students were not chanting "Mi-so soup!" over and over again. And I love my soup.
    Man, if your Mom made you wear that color when you were a baby, and you're still wearing it, it's time to grow up!

Quote Originally Posted by flyingdutchdevil View Post
    Clearly this proves that Coach K is wrong, knows he's wrong, and is trying to make amends. Good for him.

The man is a legend, but legends err.
    +1

Takes a big person to realize their mistakes and try to make amends.

Quote Originally Posted by FerryFor50 View Post

Given how chippy guys like Johnson were getting, shouldn't the refs have been reigning that in a bit?
    I just watched the game and with about 9 minutes left Goldwire was called for a travel. Johnson walked over and slapped the ball out of his hands right in front of Mike Eades. It appeared Eades warned Johnson but how many times did they get away with stuff like that???

Quote Originally Posted by Kjeffrey View Post
    I just watched the game and with about 9 minutes left Goldwire was called for a travel. Johnson walked over and slapped the ball out of his hands right in front of Mike Eades. It appeared Eades warned Johnson but how many times did they get away with stuff like that???
    I remember that play, and the guy standing next to me (I was in student section, stood the entire game) kept repeating about Mike Eades and his indifference of making calls that were obvious. That was one for sure. Eades sucks, period.

Quote Originally Posted by duketaylor View Post
    I remember that play, and the guy standing next to me (I was in student section, stood the entire game) kept repeating about Mike Eades and his indifference of making calls that were obvious. That was one for sure. Eades sucks, period.
    I, too, remember this one. The camera showed him talking earnestly with the Pitt player but that was it. And what was that incredibly long delay on the out of bounds call? It was clearly off the Pitt player but it took forever to adjudicate that one.

I’ve watched the game tape a few times.
    I’ve looked for K’s apology and watched the brief post-game video clip and the article about his meeting with tenters.
    He mostly gives an explanation for why he was stressed and offers, at best, a muddled half apology.

I wanted to give this a few days (and I was a student and fan at Duke when K was hired), but my concern hasn’t gone away: if Coach K considers himself a teacher at Duke, he should know that such an outburst would definitely have gotten him suspended and potentially fired from a tenured Duke professorship. The required remediation would have been much more intense than what he’s decided to do. And it’s not just the screaming and bullying of undergrad Duke fans, it’s his assumption that he can and should micromanage what fans can chant, whether they show up for games, what they write in the school newspaper, etc. I teach at a peer university, and I have senior colleagues who’ve been suspended for far less. Okay, he’s not a professor, and he’s allowed to yell and curse at his undergrad players, but this is not something he can fix by buddying up with a few dozen tenters and winning some games. My hope is that he and his boss (President Price) have already sat down for a tactful review not just of his behavior but of his underlying attitudes and assumptions towards undergrads who aren’t his recruited players or in basic training. This would obviously be a private meeting, but if Price hasn’t already called him in for a discussion, he’s made an error. Obviously, Price’s presidency wouldn’t survive a war with his most valuable employee, but Duke University takes a hit if a coach become too big for internal feedback.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    I’ve watched the game tape a few times.
    I’ve looked for K’s apology and watched the brief post-game video clip and the article about his meeting with tenters.
    He mostly gives an explanation for why he was stressed and offers, at best, a muddled half apology.

I wanted to give this a few days (and I was a student and fan at Duke when K was hired), but my concern hasn’t gone away: if Coach K considers himself a teacher at Duke, he should know that such an outburst would definitely have gotten him suspended and potentially fired from a tenured Duke professorship. The required remediation would have been much more intense than what he’s decided to do. And it’s not just the screaming and bullying of undergrad Duke fans, it’s his assumption that he can and should micromanage what fans can chant, whether they show up for games, what they write in the school newspaper, etc. I teach at a peer university, and I have senior colleagues who’ve been suspended for far less. Okay, he’s not a professor, and he’s allowed to yell and curse at his undergrad players, but this is not something he can fix by buddying up with a few dozen tenters and winning some games. My hope is that he and his boss (President Price) have already sat down for a tactful review not just of his behavior but of his underlying attitudes and assumptions towards undergrads who aren’t his recruited players or in basic training. This would obviously be a private meeting, but if Price hasn’t already called him in for a discussion, he’s made an error. Obviously, Price’s presidency wouldn’t survive a war with his most valuable employee, but Duke University takes a hit if a coach become too big for internal feedback.
    I hope the students don't get their feelings hurt. That would be a shame. I don't know what's going to happen to them when they have to leave college and go out into a man eat world.

GoCoach K and GoDuke!