Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

This Week in the ACC - 1/27-2/2

Syracuse is starting to make its case for there being 4 teams clear of the pack, sliding into 4th place a game or 2 clear of a cluster of teams at either 5-4 or 4-5. I hope they don't make that case too strongly this weekend.

Monday
    [48]NC State (5-4) (-7) hosts [89]North Carolina (2-6) (7:00, ESPN)

Tuesday
    [53]Virginia (5-4) (+1) hosts [17]Florida State (7-1) (7:00, ESPN)
    [84]Clemson (4-5) (-1) hosts [50]Syracuse (6-3) (7:00, ACCNX)
    [83]Georgia Tech hosts [NR]Morehouse (7:30, ACCNX)
    [115]Miami (2-7) (+1) hosts [66]Virginia Tech (5-4) (8:00, ACCN)
    [2]Duke (6-2) (-17) hosts [80]Pittsburgh (4-5) (9:00, ESPN)

Wednesday
    [62]Notre Dame (2-6) (-8) hosts [105]Wake Forest (2-7) (7:00, ACCN)
    [162]Boston College (4-5) (+12) hosts [9]Louisville (8-1) (9:00, ACCN)

Thursday and Friday are dark

Saturday
    [62]Notre Dame (2-6) (-6) hosts [83]Georgia Tech (4-6) (12:00, ACCNX)
    [48]NC State (5-4) (+3) hosts [9]Louisville (8-1) (2:00, ESPN)
    [66]Virginia Tech (5-4) (+2) hosts [17]Florida State (7-1) (4:00, ACCNX)
    [89]North Carolina (2-6) (-10) hosts [162]Boston College (4-5) (6:00, ACCN)
    [50]Syracuse (6-3) (+7) hosts [2]Duke (6-2) (8:00, ESPN)
    [105]Wake Forest (2-7) (-1) hosts [84]Clemson (4-5) (8:00, ACCN)

Sunday
    [80]Pittsburgh (4-5) (-7) hosts [115]Miami (2-7) (12:00, ACCN)

ACC Non-Conference: 119-41
    ACC vs. Power 5: 23-26

Efficiency Margin in Conference Play:
    Duke - +24.8
    Louisville - +11.4
    Florida State - +11.0
    Syracuse - +10.2
    Virginia - +6.2
    NC State - +1.2
    Virginia Tech - -1.6
    North Carolina - -2.6
    Pittsburgh - -2.8
    Notre Dame - -3.2
    Georgia Tech - -4.1
    Clemson - -4.9
    Wake Forest - -7.9
    Boston College - -13.6
    Miami - -19.3
    Just be you. You is enough. - K, 4/5/10, 0:13.8 to play, 60-59 Duke.

You're all jealous hypocrites. - Titus on Laettner

You see those guys? Animals. They're animals. - SIU Coach Chris Lowery, on Duke

Go Wolfpack!

The UVA-FSU game on Tuesday is a big deal. It isn't likely that Virginia will suddenly find enough offense to be a contender for the top of the league, but dropping to 5-5 probably makes it impossible for them to rise up to where Duke, FSU, and Louisville are residing. The Cavs are likely just barely on the outside of the bubble at this point and another loss starts making it more likely than not that they end up missing the Dance.

On the other hand, a win over FSU would really enhance their resume. They've still got 2 with Louisville and a home game against Duke so if they get hot, the Cavs can climb back in it without having to rely on other teams to do the dirty work. It is with noting that while everyone wants to write Virginia's obit, they have been right there in several of the ACC losses and are really just a few points from being more like 7-2 in the ACC (I'm aware they have led with 4 minutes left in every ACC game, but you don't get to win every close game you play).

Anyway, I think that is the biggest game on the slate this week... the Duke-Syracuse game is a close second with Syracuse getting a chance at home to prove it belongs in the top tier.

-Jason "if Virginia manages to win 2 of the the 4 games they have left against Duke, FSU, and Lou (x2) then I think they will make the dance (assuming they don't just gaaaack up multiple games against mid-lower tier ACC teams)" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The UVA-FSU game on Tuesday is a big deal. It isn't likely that Virginia will suddenly find enough offense to be a contender for the top of the league, but dropping to 5-5 probably makes it impossible for them to rise up to where Duke, FSU, and Louisville are residing. The Cavs are likely just barely on the outside of the bubble at this point and another loss starts making it more likely than not that they end up missing the Dance.

On the other hand, a win over FSU would really enhance their resume. They've still got 2 with Louisville and a home game against Duke so if they get hot, the Cavs can climb back in it without having to rely on other teams to do the dirty work. It is with noting that while everyone wants to write Virginia's obit, they have been right there in several of the ACC losses and are really just a few points from being more like 7-2 in the ACC (I'm aware they have led with 4 minutes left in every ACC game, but you don't get to win every close game you play).

Anyway, I think that is the biggest game on the slate this week... the Duke-Syracuse game is a close second with Syracuse getting a chance at home to prove it belongs in the top tier.

-Jason "if Virginia manages to win 2 of the the 4 games they have left against Duke, FSU, and Lou (x2) then I think they will make the dance (assuming they don't just gaaaack up multiple games against mid-lower tier ACC teams)" Evans
    (Emphasis mine)

This is how we can tell Jason isn't a Triangle resident

NCSU is -6 over unc tonight in Raleigh. Please just win Pack.

I really, really like UVa for an upset at home over FSU tomorrow night in Charlottesville. It’ll be an ugly one and a defensive battle but I think UVa pulls it off to get to 6-4 in the ACC with a good shot at 7-4 in the ACC after their following game vs Clemson. I think UVa is close right now to joining the lower level of the top tier of ACC teams.

Pathetic.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    NCSU is -6 over unc tonight in Raleigh. Please just win Pack.

I really, really like UVa for an upset at home over FSU tomorrow night in Charlottesville. It’ll be an ugly one and a defensive battle but I think UVa pulls it off to get to 6-4 in the ACC with a good shot at 7-4 in the ACC after their following game vs Clemson. I think UVa is close right now to joining the lower level of the top tier of ACC teams.
    And the baby wolves cough it up again at end of half. Maybe they pull it out but I have no confidence in the Pack ever against the Cheats.

That was a dissapointing but predictable half of basketball.

NCSU out there in Raleigh doing NCSU things.

The Pack trails the heels 39-35 at the half at the PNC Center.

Quote Originally Posted by arnie View Post
    And the baby wolves cough it up again at end of half. Maybe they pull it out but I have no confidence in the Pack ever against the Cheats.
    I’ve seen how this movie ends plenty of times before. It’s like clock work. Cough it up, let unc make layups, launch an ill-advised shot and rinse, wash, and repeat. The Pack are who I thought they were.

Looks like The Wolfpack is working hard to secure an NIT bid. I hope they decide to start hitting the defensive glass and stop turning the ball over what seems like every other possession in the second half.

That half was so bad I've decided to pass on the rest of the game. Hopefully the basketball gods will punish me by letting State blowout the Cheats the rest of the way.

After watching that pathetic half of basketball from the Pack, if anyone thinks they deserve to make the NCAAT, I don’t know what to tell you. Their front court is getting absolutely dominated. Brooks looks like a man among boys out there - 17 and 7 that half. The Pack looks more like a bunch of scared puppies.

Toothless wolfie pups. Brooks is absolutely killing them. No fight. Same old same old!

This same State team will probably shoot 80% from the field on February 19th.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I would love to see the ACC refs hand Bilas a whistle to see how well he could actually make calls in a live game. So tired of listening to him dissect calls and render judgment as he watches slow motion replays.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I would love to see the ACC refs hand Bilas a whistle to see how well he could actually make calls in a live game. So tired of listening to him dissect calls and render judgment as he watches slow motion replays.
    Yea, these broadcasts are becoming more about the great Bilas than b-ball games. Totally disgusting self promotion.

Announcer

Just a gentle reminder that there is a separate, dedicated thread to discuss announcers here: https://forums.dukebasketballreport...-Thread/page11

My main question at the under 8 is will State keep this impending L under double digits or fold altogether down the stretch and lose by 10+.

Note to officials: There is no such thing as a continuation foul. Worst call of the month.