Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    I moved. Now 12 miles from Heaven, 13 from Hell
    There's a couple of other Mets fans here (Duke74, I'll calling for you!)

My mother grew up in Brooklyn, was a big fan of the Dodgers and was acquaintances of many of the players in the 40s (as were many in the neighborhood at the time.) After the Bums moved, there was no way she was going to root for an American League team, although with two (and eventually with me, three) kids, she wasn't paying as much attention t o baseball in the '50s and early '60s.

I'm two years older than the Amazin's; got to be on the field on '62 in the Polo Grounds (my uncle worked security there at the time) and had my picture taken with Choo Choo Coleman. My Dad's company had season tickets to the Mets, so I was in Shea quite a bit in the '60s and '70s.

In spite of that, my first true game memory detail is from a Yankees game, a double-header against the Tigers in August 1968. Rocky Colavito was the winning pitcher for one of the games. (Before you tell me I'm wrong, as Casey would say, you can look it up.) Unlike other Met fans, I don't hate the Yankees, but I've rooted for the Mets in Yankee Stadium. (Attended Bat Day at a Yankee game in Shea Stadium, though.)

I was 8 years old when Reggie Jackson hit back-to-back homers against the Dodgers in the 1977 World Series. That was all this rural Utah kid needed to latch on to the Bronx Zoo. I came home from elementary school just in time to see Bucky Effing Dent go yard in the one-game 1978 playoff against the BoSox. I started collecting baseball cards soon thereafter, scooping up as many Yankees as I could. My first in-person MLB game was Game 1 of the 1999 ALCS, when Bernie Williams’s walkoff homer downed the Sox. The reverberations of “1918” still ring in my ears.

And if the Yankees aren’t the baseball analogue of Duke basketball (or vice versa, in many ways), I’m not sure what is.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

The Cobb County Barves and I are still in a fight. Baseball is dead to me.

There, I feel better.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    And if the Yankees aren’t the baseball analogue of Duke basketball (or vice versa, in many ways), I’m not sure what is.
    They are considered that by many, but it's a very flawed...VERY flawed analogy. The Yankees have the largest fan base in the world, built in, and all the money they could possibly have. Duke and Coach K have a tiny built in fan base, an overall athletic program that is hardly the equal of the big schools, and yet defy gravity every season they have that is special (and that's most of them). The hatred is analogous, but misplaced. What Duke BB has done is FAR MORE impressive, and difficult to do, than what the Yankees or just about any other team/program/franchise have ever done IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by DU82 View Post
    There's a couple of other Mets fans here (Duke74, I'll calling for you!)

Unlike other Met fans, I don't hate the Yankees, but I've rooted for the Mets in Yankee Stadium. (Attended Bat Day at a Yankee game in Shea Stadium, though.)
    Here I am. 😉.

And I’m like you re the Yanks. I do root for them, except against the Mets. Respect the tradition and drive for excellence. (Much like ours). The goal is the WS, not just playoffs. (The entitled fan base, however, is a different story...)

Also my feeling re the football Giants. Will root for them, except against the Jets.

Braves fan here. I'm cautiously optimistic with all the young talent locked up for several years. A little surprised there aren't more Braves fans around here.

I ended up a Mariners fan. I attended my first game in the Kingdome when I was 14 years old. I remember distinctly that I was 14 because there was a giveaway that day where all fans 14 and under got a bat, and my best friend, who suggested we go, was already 15. But I had a major growth spurt that year, and he hadn't had his yet, so the folks at the door gave my friend his bat without blinking an eye, but thought I was the one pulling a fast one. They gave me a bat, too, though, so it all worked out in the end.

I still follow them (these days somewhat loosely) more than 40 years later. They are the only franchise to have never appeared in a World Series game. As my still-best-friend would say, with his dry, flat delivery: Awesome.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I ended up a Mariners fan. I attended my first game in the Kingdome when I was 14 years old. I remember distinctly that I was 14 because there was a giveaway that day where all fans 14 and under got a bat, and my best friend, who suggested we go, was already 15. But I had a major growth spurt that year, and he hadn't had his yet, so the folks at the door gave my friend his bat without blinking an eye, but thought I was the one pulling a fast one. They gave me a bat, too, though, so it all worked out in the end.

I still follow them (these days somewhat loosely) more than 40 years later. They are the only franchise to have never appeared in a World Series game. As my still-best-friend would say, with his dry, flat delivery: Awesome.
    My wife and I had our first date at a Mariners game.

Not a huge baseball fan tbh. The closest baseball teams to me growing up were a minimum of four hours away. But thanks to cable and WTBS and WGN, I got a hefty dose of the Braves and Cubs, so that was my pat answer.

Never cared much for AL teams, but I pulled for the Red Sox, primarily because I grew up during the era when the Yankees won everything and the Red Sox were the underdogs. Had a blast watching the series comeback vs. the Yankees and that did it for me.

I can count on my fingers the total # of MLB games I've seen in person. First one was to see the Mets play in Shea in the 80's. My uncle had box seats on the 1B line. Darryl Strawberry was the only name I recognized. Mid 90's I got to the TED to see Atlanta and to Wrigley to see the Cubs twice each. Funny story there - I was in Chicago for the weekend bumming with some coworkers in between 2 weeks of training for work. We went to Wrigley to try and find a good sports bar to watch the World Cup (1998) on Saturday, and had planned to see the Cubs play the Pirates on Sunday. It was 4th of July weekend and the weather was gorgeous. When we got to Wrigley, we realized the Cubs were playing the Pirates on Saturday as well, and all the bars were showing the game. So we gave up on the WC, and one of my buddies settled down in front of a murphy's tap to watch the Cubs game on TV.

me: "Why don't we scalp a ticket and watch the game?"
    buddy: "Nah, we're going to the game tomorrow. Don't want to pay for 2 tickets."
    me: "No way am I gonna watch the Cubs on TV when I am across the freaking street from Wrigley Field. I'll go today AND tomorrow."

Good decision. It was hands down the most fun I've had at a game was that weekend at Wrigley. Ever since then I've always sprung for good seats when going to a once in a lifetime sporting event. Have yet to regret it.
    "There can BE only one."

Grew up a Yankee fan since the early 60's when they had Mickey Mantle, Joe Pepitone, Whitey Ford, Tom Tresh, etc. I still pull for the Yankees but started pulling for the Braves in the early 80's when we got cablevision and TBS back when they carried Braves every day. Dale Murphy was on those early Braves teams that I watched.
    Tom Mac

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    My wife and I had our first date at a Mariners game.
    I note that does not seem to equate with remaining a fan. Not sure if that means anything...

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I note that does not seem to equate with remaining a fan. Not sure if that means anything...
    Fair point.

Followed them closely 15 years ago. Had mad love for Ichiro, Mike Cameron, King Felix, Edgar Martinez, etc.

Moved back east and don't pay much attention to baseball. Not that the Mariners have done much in ten years to pay attention.

I had a homemade tee shirt that read "Ichiro is my co-pilot."

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    Started playing little league baseball in 1964 for the Cardinals. Hooked on the Cardinals ever since. Huge Gibson and Brock fan growing up into the 70’s. Loved Whitey ball in the 80’s. Got into baseball cards and memorabilia when I started making some money and have met at autograph shows or games Brock, Gibson, Carlton, Ozzie, Torre, Rolen and Pujols. All were nice, especially Ozzie.
    I loved the "White Rats" teams in the 80's as well. I long for the day when the Cards have a team of players that want to put the ball in play. I know that the so-called experts say that's not the way to win these days, but it's fun to watch hit-n-run, first to 3rd and stolen bases. I get no enjoyment out of strikeouts and that's what I see when I see DeJong and Bader swing at sliders in the other batter's box.
    GoDuke and GoRedbirds!

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Nats fan, here... but why are we having a May-June discussion in the middle of the Duke basketball season?
    sage, you will be playing with house money this season. GoDuke!

Cubs fan (along with the Bears and the Bulls) here. My fandom dates back to the mid-80s, when as a young kid I started to like sports. The mid-80s were awesome as a football fan, but not as a baseball or basketball fan. The 90s were awesome as a bball fan but not football or baseball. The 2000s were all over the map. And then 2016 happened (woohoo!). Now, just hoping that all of my teams can have a better 2020 season than their disappointing 2019 seasons (so far off to a bad start though).

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I had a homemade tee shirt that read "Ichiro is my co-pilot."
    Love it.