Page 713 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 213613663703711712713714715723763813 ... LastLast
Results 14,241 to 14,260 of 22200
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Just to clarify, the 95% is not for serious illness. It is for getting COVID at all. It's been nearly 100% for serious illness. During the trials, approximately 0.04% of vaccinated individuals got COVID during the trial period. ZERO got severely ill (required hospitalization). Real-world data seems to mostly align with this.
    There may be other real world studies out there, but the two I am aware of report the following.

Study 1 (from the CDC): “Fully vaccinated adults 65 and older are 94% less likely to be hospitalized with COVID-19”

Study 2 (from Israel): “Adjusted estimates effectiveness of vaccine effectiveness at 7 days or longer after the second dose were ... 97.0% against symptomatic infection, 97.2% against COVID-19-related hospitalization, 97.5% against severe or critical COVID-19-related hospitalization, and 96.7% against COVID-19-related death.”

Quote Originally Posted by House P View Post
    There may be other real world studies out there, but the two I am aware of report the following.

Study 1 (from the CDC): “Fully vaccinated adults 65 and older are 94% less likely to be hospitalized with COVID-19”

Study 2 (from Israel): “Adjusted estimates effectiveness of vaccine effectiveness at 7 days or longer after the second dose were ... 97.0% against symptomatic infection, 97.2% against COVID-19-related hospitalization, 97.5% against severe or critical COVID-19-related hospitalization, and 96.7% against COVID-19-related death.”
    Since the baselines probabilities of needing hospitalization are low and dying are even lower (even for 65yo+) a 94-97.5% reduction in these rates is almost at the limits of measurement. When you get down below 1%, anything could be the explanation. Maybe the nurse used the wrong needle or used an expired vaccine? Or the person could get covid and die of something unrelated and is misclassified? It's like any survey will find at least 1% saying they've been abducted by aliens. Well it's not a survey... but the same idea.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Just to clarify, the 95% is not for serious illness. It is for getting COVID at all. It's been nearly 100% for serious illness. During the trials, approximately 0.04% of vaccinated individuals got COVID during the trial period. ZERO got severely ill (required hospitalization). Real-world data seems to mostly align with this.

(Not saying I disagree with your first question though.)
    I swear I responded to this yesterday, no idea what happened.

Yes, my bad! I knew this. Another reason why I should not DBR while working. What I meant to say was, I do not want COVID at any level, so I will continue to mask.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    I swear I responded to this yesterday, no idea what happened.

Yes, my bad! I knew this. Another reason why I should not DBR while working. What I meant to say was, I do not want COVID at any level, so I will continue to mask.
    I guess that means that because I don't want a flat tire I will not drive my car.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    I guess that means that because I don't want a flat tire I will not drive my car.
    That is your prerogative. I'm talking about COVID.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    that is your prerogative. I'm talking about covid.

Cannot spork... so

I'm all for defeating COVID, but I've heard these new vaccines contain micro-chimps that track and control us. I shudder at the thought of little tiny chimps running around inside me, doing whatever. It's just unnatural.

And if you're going to put tiny things like that in a vaccine why pick micro-chimps anyway. They're the wrong shape to slide through blood vessels and they're mean. Wouldn't seals or otters be a better choice? They're sleek and cute and used to swimming.

Oh, wait, was it chips, not chimps?

And there arent' any of those either?

That's what I get for listening to aunt Emily.

Never mind.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I'm all for defeating COVID, but I've heard these new vaccines contain micro-chimps that track and control us. I shudder at the thought of little tiny chimps running around inside me, doing whatever. It's just unnatural.

And if you're going to put tiny things like that in a vaccine why pick micro-chimps anyway. They're the wrong shape to slide through blood vessels and they're mean. Wouldn't seals or otters be a better choice? They're sleek and cute and used to swimming.

Oh, wait, was it chips, not chimps?

And there arent' any of those either?

That's what I get for listening to aunt Emily.

Never mind.
    If I knew the vaccine involved microchimps I'd be MORE likely to get it than ever before.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Yes. Clearly the inconvenience of not driving is proportional to the inconvenience of wearing a mask in public places. And getting a flat tire is pretty much like contracting a virus that can hospitalize or kill you -- or that you can spread to the immunocompromised.

Clearly this is an elevated metaphor.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    If I knew the vaccine involved microchimps I'd be MORE likely to get it than ever before.
    Get in line. Everyone knows there's a microchimp shortage.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Are microchimps related to sea monkeys?

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    I believe those would be "cc monkeys," as they travel through a syringe.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I believe those would be "cc monkeys," as they travel through a syringe.
    Still cannot spork!

I always wanted to hang out with them!

91vwkTLiRML._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    I always wanted to hang out with them!

91vwkTLiRML._AC_SL1500_.jpg
    I gave my sister sea monkeys for Christmas one year. Yes, we were both adults. I don't remember actually seeing them.

If Werner von Braun were still alive, he could tell you about the German vaccines which have microjimps.

You know ever they say about chips — you can’t stop at one.

So, about those booster shots ...

Tales of Travel in the Time of Covid: friend had a fight which involved a several hour leg from Chicago to Denver; unvaccinated guy next to him (from Tennessee, FWIW) munched the occasional pretzel the entire flight to circumvent the mask requirement. Sample of one, I know, but I'm just not in a hurry to deal with Americans on airplanes quite yet.

Meanwhile, a fine idea locally: the state is having trouble getting the 19-29 year olds vaccinated, so with the weather nice this week (80s) they're bringing the J&J vaccine to the beach, just show up and get jabbed. Great idea.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Tales of Travel in the Time of Covid: friend had a fight which involved a several hour leg from Chicago to Denver; unvaccinated guy next to him (from Tennessee, FWIW) munched the occasional pretzel the entire flight to circumvent the mask requirement. Sample of one, I know, but I'm just not in a hurry to deal with Americans on airplanes quite yet.

Meanwhile, a fine idea locally: the state is having trouble getting the 19-29 year olds vaccinated, so with the weather nice this week (80s) they're bringing the J&J vaccine to the beach, just show up and get jabbed. Great idea.
    I will be on a plane on Monday morning. I hope I don't get placed next to one of those bozos.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust