Page 7 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 5678917571075071007 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by weezie View Post
    I'll be coming through Dulles passport security in several hours. Count on me for an on-site report about health security. Will likely be slightly hungover so wish me luck!
    Maybe they'll put you on a cruise ship on the Chesapeake with 5,000 other people for a free 14 day vacation! More free drinks!

I'll be coming through Dulles passport security in several hours. Count on me for an on-site report about health security. Will likely be slightly hungover so wish me luck!
    Good thinking, alcohol is a great inoculant to most things. To be safe, I'd recommend upgrading from slightly to mostly...

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Merge this thread with the investing thread!
    Merge this thread with the 2020 Presidential Election thread because if the economy takes a hit it'll leave a mark

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    Merge this thread with the 2020 Presidential Election thread because if the economy takes a hit it'll leave a mark
    With both parties blaming the other causing the issue ...

It's officially panic time.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-51425702

The vector is from a guy who was in Singapore Jan 20-23rd. That is his exposure from Asia. For comparison, Wuhan in China went into lockdown on the 23rd. This is how fast and far it's spread already.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post

The vector is from a guy who was in Singapore Jan 20-23rd. That is his exposure from Asia. For comparison, Wuhan in China went into lockdown on the 23rd. This is how fast and far it's spread already.
    Typhoid Harry?

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post

It's been panic time for weeks IMHO. Judging by its actions (not its words), China's leadership is panicking.

And if you want something else to worry about: I'll be very pleasantly surprised if there isn't a nasty coronavirus outbreak in Indonesia. A quarter billion people, close ties to China, and poor healthcare infrastructure. Zero reported cases so far: do you think that's because they've done a great job on public health measures, or because they're unable to test for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    It's been panic time for weeks IMHO. Judging by its actions (not its words), China's leadership is panicking.

And if you want something else to worry about: I'll be very pleasantly surprised if there isn't a nasty coronavirus outbreak in Indonesia. A quarter billion people, close ties to China, and poor healthcare infrastructure. Zero reported cases so far: do you think that's because they've done a great job on public health measures, or because they're unable to test for it?
    Yup, the Chinese are used to having strict control over everything imaginable, but evidently viruses think otherwise. The way the government treated the ophthamologist who first sounded the alarm (now deceased) was nothing less than shameful. And now the public is chiming in.

When the virus was first acknowledged, President Xi was "directing everything." Not so much now, he's just one of the boys.

Didn't see much at Dulles last night. Maybe they are temperature screening immediately upon disembarkation for any flights coming in from Asia but there was nothing going on in the passport control area. A flight from Hong Kong had landed at the same time as ours. All we saw was a temporary clinic set up to one side of the area; there was a person wearing scrubs standing around with a mask on but no one and nothing else was visible.

Plenty of coughing people though? Sheesh!

But the tv channels in Europe are steamed up about the situation. Furious is a good description. Very heavy coverage and outrage.
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'

Didn't see much at Dulles last night. Maybe they are temperature screening immediately upon disembarkation for any flights coming in from Asia but there was nothing going on in the passport control area. A flight from Hong Kong had landed at the same time as ours. All we saw was a temporary clinic set up to one side of the area; there was a person wearing scrubs standing around with a mask on but no one and nothing else was visible.

But the tv channels in Europe are steamed up about the situation. Furious is a good description. Very heavy coverage and outrage.
    Outrage at who?

Outrage

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Outrage at who?
    Those sneaky bats?

You should self quarantine and get a few more weeks off...

On the plus side, this whole ordeal has reminded me about the game Pandemic.

I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    On the plus side, this whole ordeal has reminded me about the game Pandemic.
    And The Walking Dead starts up again in two weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    being confined to a room in a cruise ship, interior room with no windows, is about as close to a real nightmare as I can think of...I think I'd be tempted to swim for it.
    Honestly this is how I feel about the whole ship.

A movie is not about what it's about; it's about how it's about it.
    ---Roger Ebert

Some questions cannot be answered
    Who’s gonna bury who
    We need a love like Johnny, Johnny and June
    ---Over the Rhine

No need to hangout on a ship. Head on down to your local Air Force base and see how many people thay have there being quaratined.

91 at the AFB 8 miles from my house.

Wonder where we are in the progression...

world_04_08.jpg

Apparently China now has an app in place that tracks individuals who have been diagnosed with the virus and people can submit their own information to be tracked and see if they’ve been in “close contact” with anyone who has been diagnosed. Interesting and very big brother-ish all at the same time.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Plenty of respiratory viruses circulating right now. Flu still circulating, RSV still circulating, rhinovirus circulating, parainfluenza viruses circulating, adenovirus circulating, the old school garden variety coronavirus OC43 circulating...

Death toll tops 1000. That's the big story this morning.

Still, total cases over 40,000, which means that the mortality rate is settling in to about 2.5%, which, although still really high in comparison with other respiratory viruses, is lower than originally thought. All but two deaths have been in China.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust