Page 634 of 670 FirstFirst ... 134534584624632633634635636644 ... LastLast
Results 12,661 to 12,680 of 13381
  1. #12661
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I can appreciate why they chose you to drive, instead of a family member.
    Ha, the first car I ever owned was a family hand me down, a '67 Oldsmobile Delta 88 which happens to be the same model Teddy was driving during The Incident.

    Re driving RFK et al around: I was in my last year at a boarding school which was really more like a minimum security prison...I had no license because they didn't want us to know how to drive. So I'm sauntering around campus one day when along comes the pompous azz headmaster, driving his Mustang convertible, quite visibly with the RFK clan in the car with him. He evidently had to get to some meeting, so he pulls up next to me, hops out to go someplace, and directs me to drive them to another building which I happily did, once I figured where the gear shift was, various pedals, etc...got them there in one piece, had a nice chitty chat, didn't hit anything, so all was good.

  2. #12662
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Ha, the first car I ever owned was a family hand me down, a '67 Oldsmobile Delta 88 which happens to be the same model Teddy was "driving" during The Incident.

    ....
    Fixed it for you. ;-)
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

  3. #12663
    My wife and I got our 1st shots today. No side effects for either of us. Very happy.

  4. #12664
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by niveklaen View Post
    My wife and I got our 1st shots today. No side effects for either of us. Very happy.
    Not to shoot down anyone's hopes, but my immune responses did not occur until the second shot, and then the chills and fever did not start until about 12-13 hours after the second shot. Just be aware for 48 hours after each shot.

  5. #12665
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    the only shot I'm getting today is a couple shots of gin at cocktail hour, why not have a G&T as it snows copiously?

  6. #12666
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Steamboat Springs, CO
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Time to change the name of this thread to "PlagueWatch 2020-2021"?
    I'd also ditch "Plague," which I still see as "Plaque."
    Sage Grouse

    ---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

  7. #12667
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Location
    New Orleans, Louisiana
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Time to change the name of this thread to "PlagueWatch 2020-2021"?
    Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I'd also ditch "Plague," which I still see as "Plaque."
    I've been thinking we should call it COVID 19-20-21, and pray we can close the thread before it gets as long as Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15.

  8. #12668
    Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    I've been thinking we should call it COVID 19-20-21, and pray we can close the thread before it gets as long as Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15.
    Um...

    Edit: in light of your name here, I respect your position. And I hope my name gets longer and longer.

  9. #12669
    Wife and I got our first shots today at an LA county site. Impressed with the smooth operation. Will report on after effects later.

    SoCal

  10. #12670
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Up to 15 million having gotten at least one dose and about 2.5 million having received 2 doses (17.5 million total doses). The good news is that we have been holding a ~20 million per month pace for 2+ weeks. The bad news is that we are running about one month behind. That 20 million per month pace was what we wanted in December. But, it is at least progress.

    As for supply, we are approaching 40 million doses distributed. And we are on a 30+ million (maybe 40 million) pace in January. I have seen reports that this distribution number may mean doses earmarked rather than doses shipped/received. But either way it seems like scale-up is starting to happen.
    Last edited by CDu; 01-21-2021 at 08:28 PM.

  11. #12671
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    ^ yes, there is a disconnect somewhere between what the CDC says has been shipped to certain states vs what has been actually received...ramp it up, boys!

  12. #12672
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont

    encouraging news

    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/21/jj-p...mber-says.html

    Johnson and Johnson board member (from the University of the Blue Devils) speaks optimistically about tossing 100 million doses of vaccine in the market in several months...fingers crossed their results (due very soon) are good.

    As we've mentioned before, it's a single dose vaccine AND it only requires normal refrigeration.

  13. #12673
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/21/jj-p...mber-says.html

    Johnson and Johnson board member (from the University of the Blue Devils) speaks optimistically about tossing 100 million doses of vaccine in the market in several months...fingers crossed their results (due very soon) are good.

    As we've mentioned before, it's a single dose vaccine AND it only requires normal refrigeration.
    Can you remind me what the claimed efficacy percentage is for the JnJ, and whether it has been FDA approved yet (or if not when expected)? I've sorta gotten lost on all of these.

    Certainly, great news!

  14. #12674
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    NC
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    https://www.cnbc.com/2021/01/21/jj-p...mber-says.html

    Johnson and Johnson board member (from the University of the Blue Devils) speaks optimistically about tossing 100 million doses of vaccine in the market in several months...fingers crossed their results (due very soon) are good.

    As we've mentioned before, it's a single dose vaccine AND it only requires normal refrigeration.
    Yes, this would be game-changing. Per Fauci last night, they are on track to send data for review to the FDA in a couple of weeks, so hopefully by late February it will be approved in the US.

    The big key, once JnJ is approved, will be increasing the scale on dose administration. We should be getting to a point soon where 40-50 million (maybe more) doses are supplied each month. But unless we substantially ramp up from the ~800K per day administration pace, we're going to struggle to get folks vaccinated before year end. We need to get that monthly rate up from 20 million to 40+ million.

  15. #12675
    Qualified in NJ, and man, making phone call after phone call and getting nowhere. Itís just not available.

    Makes me sad

  16. #12676
    The thing I'm going to curious about it what if JNJ's vaccine is shown to have something 70% efficacy. Are people going to not want to get it? Or will they get it temporarily and then get Pfizer/Moderna later? What will doctors recommend? Certainly, 70% is far greater than 0%. And the more people we can get vaccinated quickly, the faster we can contain this thing and go back to some sense of normalcy. Hopefully, numbers come back and are great. And yes, the mRNA vaccine efficacy numbers are truly great.

    The other piece I'm curious about is timing of vaccine trials for children. Are those already in progress for Pfizer/Moderna and what is the expected timing?

  17. #12677
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post

    The other piece I'm curious about is timing of vaccine trials for children. Are those already in progress for Pfizer/Moderna and what is the expected timing?
    I read an article about this yesterday, but can’t find it now. Here is what I recall:

    * Yes, the trials are in progress. After getting emergency authorization for adults the companies will conduct trials in progressively younger people. The first group is 12 and older.

    * One company is having trouble getting all of the desired candidates. The other has a full slate.

    * There is some discussion of whether an emergency use authorization is appropriate for children, when so few suffer serious illness.

    * There is some hope that vaccines will be approved for adolescents in time for the 2021/2022 school year to start, but that may be optimistic/depend on the emergency use issue.

    * Vaccine for kids under 12 ain’t coming in 2021.

    ETA: here is the article, which argues that vaccinating kids may be the path to herd immunity. https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...accine/617762/

  18. #12678
    Join Date
    Mar 2017
    Location
    Sea Island, GA
    Another question I hope they can get a handle on soon is how effective each vaccine is against the variants...I have read that there is concern about the efficacy against the South African Variant. Selfishly, I have a family trip to South Africa planned for June (I paid for half when I booked it last April, thinking the virus would be long gone by June 2021.). But even if I am not being selfish, it would be nice to start getting some data about efficacy and whether or not the vaccines need to be tweaked for these variants.

  19. #12679
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    The thing I'm going to curious about it what if JNJ's vaccine is shown to have something 70% efficacy. Are people going to not want to get it? Or will they get it temporarily and then get Pfizer/Moderna later? What will doctors recommend? Certainly, 70% is far greater than 0%. And the more people we can get vaccinated quickly, the faster we can contain this thing and go back to some sense of normalcy. Hopefully, numbers come back and are great. And yes, the mRNA vaccine efficacy numbers are truly great.

    The other piece I'm curious about is timing of vaccine trials for children. Are those already in progress for Pfizer/Moderna and what is the expected timing?
    70% is still amazing, and 70% now is better than 95% potentially months down the road. So, hopefully people will not try to hold out for the mRNA over any other vaccine. Remember, the flu is usually only around 40%.

  20. #12680
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    70% is still amazing, and 70% now is better than 95% potentially months down the road. So, hopefully people will not try to hold out for the mRNA over any other vaccine. Remember, the flu is usually only around 40%.
    Did JNJ test two dose efficacy? If only 60-70% of the population ultimately gets vaccinated, then herd immunity is a long way off with 70% efficacy.

Similar Threads

  1. Lacrosse: The 2020 Season
    By burnspbesq in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 215
    Last Post: 04-15-2020, 12:13 AM
  2. 2020 Final Four
    By szstark in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-09-2020, 12:00 PM
  3. MLB 2020 HOF Election
    By Blue in the Face in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-24-2020, 12:28 PM
  4. FB: 2020 Schedule is out
    By nocilla in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-22-2020, 07:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •