Page 575 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 754755255655735745755765775856256751075 ... LastLast
Results 11,481 to 11,500 of 22200
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Makes two of us and it’ll stay that way until I get one of the 95% effective vaccines.
    I keep hearing airplanes are relatively safe. Okay, sure. How about airports, teams, lines, taxis, lounges, bathrooms, etc etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I keep hearing airplanes are relatively safe. Okay, sure. How about airports, teams, lines, taxis, lounges, bathrooms, etc etc.
    Exactly, IMO, traveling today is risky business. Looks like 2020 Thanksgiving air travel will be very substantial. If 2020 Christmas is the same, then I fear the US will pay a horrible price the 1st quarter of 2021.

Exactly, IMO, traveling today is risky business. Looks like 2020 Thanksgiving air travel will be very substantial. If 2020 Christmas is the same, then I fear the US will pay a horrible price the 1st quarter of 2021.
    I was speaking to a friend last night. Her sister-in-law lives in the northeast and is divorced with two kids ages about 5 and 8. Since her ex has the kids for Thanksgiving, she and a friend are flying to Disney World for Thanksgiving. If I were her ex, I wouldn't let her anywhere near the kids for two weeks after she returns. SMDH.

Russia saying that its Sputnik vaccine is also 95% effective at preventing Covid and that it will be much cheaper than the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines.

Should we believe them?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/24/russ...ion-doses.html
    It has since shared its first interim analysis of phase three trials, and on Tuesday published the second interim analysis of trial data. It said the results showed the vaccine had a 91.4% efficacy at preventing coronavirus infection after 28 days and was over 95% effective after 42 days. The trial evaluated the data after there were 39 confirmed coronavirus cases among the 18,794 volunteers who received both doses of the Sputnik V vaccine or a placebo.

RDIF reiterated that its trial results will be published by the country’s Gamaleya Center team “in one of the leading international peer-reviewed medical journals” but did not say when.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Russia saying that its Sputnik vaccine is also 95% effective at preventing Covid and that it will be much cheaper than the Moderna and Pfizer vaccines.

Should we believe them?

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/24/russ...ion-doses.html
    There are certain things I don't trust - the People's Republic of China government, the Democratic People's Republic of Korea government, the Russian government, and a Tar Heel. Ok, I'm lying about the last one.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    I was speaking to a friend last night. Her sister-in-law lives in the northeast and is divorced with two kids ages about 5 and 8. Since her ex has the kids for Thanksgiving, she and a friend are flying to Disney World for Thanksgiving. If I were her ex, I wouldn't let her anywhere near the kids for two weeks after she returns. SMDH.
    It’s amazing how many Americans are not burdened by self-control.

Makes two of us and it’ll stay that way until I get one of the 95% effective vaccines.
    yeah, I'm seeing some people starting to rationalize travel, but we're holding firm...just not worth the risk.

Yeah, I think of Southwest's boarding line "obelisks." Think those are 30 feet apart each now, stretching lines to 180 feet for each gate? I don't think so. Think the jetway only has a half-dozen people in once boarding starts, and is turning over the air inside every 3 minutes? I doubt it. And TSA lines? Atlanta Plane Train? ha.

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Yeah, I think of Southwest's boarding line "obelisks." Think those are 30 feet apart each now, stretching lines to 180 feet for each gate? I don't think so. Think the jetway only has a half-dozen people in once boarding starts, and is turning over the air inside every 3 minutes? I doubt it. And TSA lines? Atlanta Plane Train? ha.
    Evening news last night showed a woman trying to social distance herself at a busy airport, she said it was simply impossible...gates, security, the whole place was clogged.

Our daughter flew home from Duke to New Jersey this morning. I know many of you are highly critical of this action, but she was not allowed to stay on campus and didn't really have another safe way to get home. She found the experience to be pretty good. Everyone masked, no one crowding at gates, etc. On the receiving end, at baggage claim, people were well spaced out. The airport parts of the trip certainly didn't seem any less safe than grocery store trips (actually, we are much closer to other people at grocery stores than we ever were at any point at the airport). Anyway, sorry for being so irresponsible!

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Our daughter flew home from Duke to New Jersey this morning. I know many of you are highly critical of this action, but she was not allowed to stay on campus and didn't really have another safe way to get home. She found the experience to be pretty good. Everyone masked, no one crowding at gates, etc. On the receiving end, at baggage claim, people were well spaced out. The airport parts of the trip certainly didn't seem any less safe than grocery store trips (actually, we are much closer to other people at grocery stores than we ever were at any point at the airport). Anyway, sorry for being so irresponsible!
    I'm not judging anyone else's choices or decisions. I'm just far from comfortable with such a concept for myself.

I'm not judging anyone else's choices or decisions. I'm just far from comfortable with such a concept for myself.
    me too...i'm a geezer and have a different set of circumstances from a college student.
    I did see on the national news the other night four young women driving from Duke to NJ for the semester break...they seemed to have their act together...

uh oh

https://nypost.com/2020/11/24/modern...-virus-spread/

This isn't too encouraging...the notion that the Moderna vaccine may keep one from getting Covid, but may not protect one from carrying the virus and transmitting it to others...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    me too...i'm a geezer and have a different set of circumstances from a college student.
    I did see on the national news the other night four young women driving from Duke to NJ for the semester break...they seemed to have their act together...
    She doesn't have a car or a driver's license. Since almost no first years have cars and her friends are almost all first years, she was not offered a ride back. She had to get home somehow. The other options would have involved a public bus, multiple trains, or me driving down from NJ to get her with a hotel stay. Not clear any of these would have been safer. If you have any good suggestions, perhaps we can use them when she goes back in January.

She doesn't have a car or a driver's license. Since almost no first years have cars and her friends are almost all first years, she was not offered a ride back. She had to get home somehow. The other options would have involved a public bus, multiple trains, or me driving down from NJ to get her with a hotel stay. Not clear any of these would have been safer. If you have any good suggestions, perhaps we can use them when she goes back in January.
    I'm sure it's not easy to figure out. But hey, I thought they were alternating classes (frosh, sophs, etc) on campus, she gets both semesters on campus?

https://nypost.com/2020/11/24/modern...-virus-spread/

This isn't too encouraging...the notion that the Moderna vaccine may keep one from getting Covid, but may not protect one from carrying the virus and transmitting it to others...
    Just curious is this different from other vaccines? My initial thought is that if the virus can't replicate as it is under assault from the bodies immune system, then this isn't a huge exposure.

It is not for me to judge, but I think that your daughter coming home from college for an extended period of time is dramatically different than people going away for a few days because they cannot fathom not spending Thanksgiving without their family, or, worse yet, the example I gave of the person I know flying to Disney for vacation. I do not question your decision at all and I think you made the right choice, and I am glad to hear that it seemed to go as well as possible.

People for whom travel is a "nice to have" rather than a "need to have" refraining from traveling makes it safer for those for whom travel is essentially a "need to have" (which is your situation). The only way to get through this is people being willing to put aside individualism and act for the collective good. Some might argue that individualism is what made this country great, but I would argue that it is our ability to rally together at difficult times and act collectively that truly makes us great. Unfortunately, for many, compromise seems to be a lost art.

(... and, I noticed in the film clip she said 'people who' instead of the horrific 'people that.' Grammar still lives at Duke. Woohoo!)

I'm sure it's not easy to figure out. But hey, I thought they were alternating classes (frosh, sophs, etc) on campus, she gets both semesters on campus?
    Yes. About a month ago Duke said that everyone who wants on campus housing for Spring can have it. I think it turned out that few juniors and seniors wanted to move back to campus, since they already have off campus housing.

Of course, everything can change, but that is the current plan.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    It is not for me to judge, but I think that your daughter coming home from college for an extended period of time is dramatically different than people going away for a few days because they cannot fathom not spending Thanksgiving without their family, or, worse yet, the example I gave of the person I know flying to Disney for vacation. I do not question your decision at all and I think you made the right choice, and I am glad to hear that it seemed to go as well as possible.

People for whom travel is a "nice to have" rather than a "need to have" refraining from traveling makes it safer for those for whom travel is essentially a "need to have" (which is your situation). The only way to get through this is people being willing to put aside individualism and act for the collective good. Some might argue that individualism is what made this country great, but I would argue that it is our ability to rally together at difficult times and act collectively that truly makes us great. Unfortunately, for many, compromise seems to be a lost art.
    Agree with this and certainly don’t think flying for vacation is something anyone should be doing right now.