Page 542 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 424424925325405415425435445525926421042 ... LastLast
Results 10,821 to 10,840 of 22200
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Meanwhile, I am trying to reconcile the concepts of Turning The Corner and Most New Cases Ever. I think it must be subtle.
    It’s like turning a corner in Doom.

We are turning the corner... Just not the things are getting better corner.

Down on the corner
    Out in the street
    Willie and the Poor Boys are playin’
    Bring a nickel, tap your feet.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    It’s like turning a corner in Doom.
    I always preferred Duke Nukem...

Pence's aides

Three close adviser to the Vice President, including his chief of staff, have tested positive for the coronavirus: https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...1be_story.html

Church congregation in North Carolina ordered to stop meeting after an outbreak infected at least 121 people and killed three.
    Word is that they had no regard for distancing guidelines. The article didn't say whether they wore masks or not. I'm guessing that if they didn't followlthe distancing rules they probably also disregarded the mask suggestions, but I don't know for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Church congregation in North Carolina ordered to stop meeting after an outbreak infected at least 121 people and killed three.
    Word is that they had no regard for distancing guidelines. The article didn't say whether they wore masks or not. I'm guessing that if they didn't followlthe distancing rules they probably also disregarded the mask suggestions, but I don't know for sure.
    Sound like God is trying to tell us to listen to the science.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Sound like God is trying to tell us to listen to the science.
    [God]I sent you three boats and a helicopter![/God]
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    Got really real for me yesterday. My mother, who turns 101 in 25 days, tested positive yesterday.

The staff at the nursing home (she lives in downstate IL, by the way) has done a great, great job all spring and summer long. But it is just so tough to keep the virus out. As of Friday, it was like 15 residents and 11 staff had tested positive. Yesterday, which I assume was Monday’s testing, 31 residents (out of I believe about 80) & 17 staff were positive. And understandably as this has drug on, the nursing home has had a lot of staff just quit.

It really hit me as I was praying about it yesterday after getting the call from my sister that mom had tested positive. As I prayed for the remaining healthy workers that can be there, I was praying for courage for those overworked, over stressed, & underpaid heros as they are being asked (by me, essentially) to run right into the fire and help take care of the very ones that can transmit the deadly virus to them.

Good news is as of yesterday, they told us mom did not have any symptoms and was feeling fine. Even better news, same report today.
    Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    I’m very sorry to hear your mom tested positive. I’ll be praying she remains symptom free.

Thanks, mph and many others who expressed concern about my mother. I'm beyond thrilled and thankful that even as of today, 5 days later, she remains symptom free. I continue to pray for her, and the heroes taking care of her. Realizing how very fortunate I am to have had a mom who has lived thru 41% of our country's history. As I believe Sage wisely said, I am truly blessed.

Quote Originally Posted by Green Wave Dukie View Post
    Thanks, mph and many others who expressed concern about my mother. I'm beyond thrilled and thankful that even as of today, 5 days later, she remains symptom free. I continue to pray for her, and the heroes taking care of her. Realizing how very fortunate I am to have had a mom who has lived thru 41% of our country's history. As I believe Sage wisely said, I am truly blessed.
    That is great news. I will look forward to hearing that she has cleared the virus. Scary times but wishing you and your family the best!

New COVID Recorsds, Alas

The US hit a high for new cases on oct. 26 with a seven-day average of 70,100. This compares with the previous high of 68,800 on July 25. Data are from Worldometers.

New deaths are also inching upwards, at a seven-day average of 825. It's the highest since Sep. 16 but well below the peak of 1,133 on August 5. The US high was 2,208 on April 5, during the Northeastern infections.

I hope this trend begins to reverse and that patient deaths don't mirror new cases. Hoping, but also worrying.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

France says that it's lost control of the virus..over 50k cases per day, and in a nation of 66 million, that would equate (math?) to something like 250k cases per day in the U.S...

France says that it's lost control of the virus..over 50k cases per day, and in a nation of 66 million, that would equate (math?) to something like 250k cases per day in the U.S...
    Things are not going well in Italy either.

Italy protests: Violence erupts in Milan and Turin over new Covid restrictions

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/w...-b1353481.html

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post

Might as well throw Spain into the pot...50k cases the other day, state of emergency declared, and they have a smaller population than France...they do seem to have some reporting issues, but the severity of the situation is pretty clear.

Utah

Utah hospitals are so overloaded they are preparing to ration care: https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/10/...zS5zYc-pKR49VY

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post

Might as well throw Spain into the pot...50k cases the other day, state of emergency declared, and they have a smaller population than France...they do seem to have some reporting issues, but the severity of the situation is pretty clear.
    Here's some data: seven-day average new cases now vs. peak in spring for three countries:
    USA (332m) 70K in new cases this week vs. 32.7 in April (69K in July)
    France (65) 36K now, 5K in March
    Spain (47) 16K now, 9K in March
    Italy (60) 17K now, 6K in March

France stands out in number of new cases -- equivalent to 350K in the US. I'll check on mortality later when I have some time. Of course, in all these countries, cases in the spring may have been greatly under-reported given the chaotic situations and the large number of deaths from COVID-19.

https://www.worldometers.info/corona...ountry/france/
    https://www.worldometers.info/corona...country/spain/
    https://www.worldometers.info/corona...country/italy/
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Utah hospitals are so overloaded they are preparing to ration care: https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/10/...zS5zYc-pKR49VY
    From what my siblings and son are telling me, Utah has achieved this the old fashioned way...they EARNED it. /ancient television commercial meme

People in Utah have been actively flouting the rules for months.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    From what my siblings and son are telling me, Utah has achieved this the old fashioned way...they EARNED it. /ancient television commercial meme

People in Utah have been actively flouting the rules for months.
    I'm just gonna keep using this pic as my standard response for things like this.

You may be tired of of coronavirus. You may think it's a hoax. You may just want to get on with your life.

Coronavirus-dont-care.JPG

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I'm wondering if there is a point at which behaviors change (masks, etc) in states where things are veering out of control. Watching the mayor of Fargo the other day, it's just not clear what it will take. He was pretty frustrated.

So, at what point do you have to start closing other stuff because the hospitals are overflowing?

Webster Groves (MO) School District, ludicrously, is reopening for face-to-face grades 3-5 tomorrow (my kid) and grades 6-8 (my wife) on Veterans' Day. This contradicts everything they previously said about the relationship of reopening to COVID numbers in the region, which are exploding.

Can you open something as large as a middle school with 1200 kids, 50 teachers, and I'm not sure how many support staff, when emergency medical care basically becomes unavailable? Since the administration aren't willing to be adults here, my remaining hope lies with that bastard god, Liability.