Page 515 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 154154655055135145155165175255656151015 ... LastLast
Results 10,281 to 10,300 of 22200
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Wow. The CDC reverses itself again - now regarding their statement from FRIDAY on airborne transmission. Really inspires confidence. SMH.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...outputType=amp

Science and politics make bad bedfellows.

Well

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Science and politics make bad bedfellows.
    If the Washington Post article is correct, this was just an honest mistake due to bureaucratic incompetence. But, yeah, given what's happened here in this pandemic, who knows?

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    If the Washington Post article is correct, this was just an honest mistake due to bureaucratic incompetence. But, yeah, given what's happened here in this pandemic, who knows?
    If you believe that, I’ve got a bridge to sell you!
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    If you believe that, I’ve got a bridge to sell you!
    I agree. Any government public affairs shop has 18 different sign-offs before they go with anything. I imagine that CDC is twice as careful, given the stakes involved.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

deleted...

A small data point in the school re-opening experiment:

My daughter's high school in suburban Denver, where students were given a choice between online only and a hybrid attendance plan (two days/week in school), has been moved to fully online for at least the next two weeks. There have been several positive COVID cases identified in the past few days; those cases are quarantining, and people who have been in close contact with those infected (how "close contact" is being defined is unclear) are in isolation. That's about all the school district is sharing at this point.

My daughter took the hybrid option. Some may recall that my daughter had COVID this summer, and she has not been notified to be concerned, so we aren't particularly worried. Just sharing a school re-opening that has hit a speed bump.

Well, it's "offical"

https://abc11.com/community-events/t...-says/6498620/

I wonder how many people will consider this advice from CDC at this time.

I was thinking about making up small bags of treats and leaving them at the bottom of the porch steps. Let the kids parade by and pick up a bag while we sit up on the porch a distance away and admire the costumes. I don't get many trick-or-treaters anyway, and it will be outside - and everyone can wear masks! How novel!

I've been worried about this very thing:

Why It's So Hard To Buy A New Refrigerator These Days

September 22, 202011:29 AM ET

ALINA SELYUKH

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/22/91524...ut-in-the-cold

Shortages have hit all kinds of major appliances: dishwashers, dryers, dehumidifiers, even some of the microwaves. That's because the pandemic threw a monkey wrench into both their supply and demand.

The stage was set by a springtime run on freezers, followed by refrigerators with freezers.

Quote Originally Posted by jafarr1 View Post
    A small data point in the school re-opening experiment:

My daughter's high school in suburban Denver, where students were given a choice between online only and a hybrid attendance plan (two days/week in school), has been moved to fully online for at least the next two weeks. There have been several positive COVID cases identified in the past few days; those cases are quarantining, and people who have been in close contact with those infected (how "close contact" is being defined is unclear) are in isolation. That's about all the school district is sharing at this point.

My daughter took the hybrid option. Some may recall that my daughter had COVID this summer, and she has not been notified to be concerned, so we aren't particularly worried. Just sharing a school re-opening that has hit a speed bump.
    Meanwhile, my community has a 1.5% positivity rate, the state is at 3.5% and most public schools are 100% remote (my school district until mid November at least although daycare centers/schools are open if you want to pay them money to have a non-teacher supervise your child's elearning) while my neighboring state to the north has a 16% positivity rate and almost all schools are in person. Go figure.

Interestingly, there was major protest among high school students this past weekend in a major downtown area by me. The reason? Not that schools are closed for classes but that the governor is not allowing any football to be played (I believe we're one of 11 states). Basketball is also not allowed yet but that season hasn't started. "Let us play!" was changed loudly.

The inconsistency in approaches is very odd to me...

I've been worried about this very thing:

Why It's So Hard To Buy A New Refrigerator These Days

September 22, 202011:29 AM ET

ALINA SELYUKH

https://www.npr.org/2020/09/22/91524...ut-in-the-cold

Shortages have hit all kinds of major appliances: dishwashers, dryers, dehumidifiers, even some of the microwaves. That's because the pandemic threw a monkey wrench into both their supply and demand.

The stage was set by a springtime run on freezers, followed by refrigerators with freezers.

Our refrigerator died about a week ago. When looking for replacements, I was shocked at the inventory levels and just how long it takes to get a decent one delivered. We've been living out of coolers for a week now.

We are supposed to finally get one delivered tomorrow, and given what I've seen, we count ourselves lucky that it only may take that long.

My dishwasher is still on backorder - a month later.

I did get a very stylin' dish drainer for the counter, though.

-jk

Well, Wisconsin is having a tough go of it now. They have had their worst two weeks to date since this pandemic started following the Labor Day holiday. The person I know up there was readmitted to the hospital but got sent home because they needed the space for more severe cases. She has underlying health conditions so it is very concerning.

Our old Freezer went out in early February, so we were lucky to get that replaced before the run.

We did buy a fridge with freezer just before the shutdown in NC. Even got one that we could fit in the compact SUV and haul home that very night.

You don't want to know how many rolls our toilet paper that we have.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Our old Freezer went out in early February, so we were lucky to get that replaced before the run.

We did buy a fridge with freezer just before the shutdown in NC. Even got one that we could fit in the compact SUV and haul home that very night.

You don't want to know how many rolls our toilet paper that we have.
    Single, double or mega? Single ply or double ply?

Never mind. TMI.

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post
    My dishwasher is still on backorder - a month later.
    Fortunately, my wife’s dishwasher hasn’t worked all year.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    So what have you been doing all year?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Single, double or mega? Single ply or double ply?

Never mind. TMI.

Please...Charmin all the way. We were hoping to corner the Raleigh market and sell on craigslist. We were going to make MILLIONS! MILLIONS I tell you.

How does your wife feel about you calling it her dishwasher? I would be in the penalty box for a long time for that! My wife is very particular about how it is loaded so I put things in but leave the final organization up to her, but I try to help where possible.

I have also seen shortages in bicycles and desks - we decided to get desks for my kids and they were extremely hard to find. And lots of people are getting dogs.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Rimshot.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    That’s the question my wife frequently asks. Clearly, I need to improve my answer.