Page 514 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 144144645045125135145155165245646141014 ... LastLast
Results 10,261 to 10,280 of 22186
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Recently reported in the NY Times (apologies for the paywall)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/17/h...gtype=Homepage

Apparently, HHS has backed off on some of the changes.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    As of September 8, both new COVID-19 cases and newly reported deaths had been on a heartening three week decline. Seven-day averages for new cases had declined to 38,000 thousand, down from 50,000, and new deaths (7-day ave.) to 734 from 1.065.

Since then, reported new cases are inching back up to 40,000 per day (+5.3 percent) and newly reported deaths are 823 per day (+12 percent).
    Two weeks after Labor Day. I’m shocked! Shocked! Who could have seen this? I mean Memorial Day was just a one off right?

It’s concerning that we are seeing this rise with masks “required” at most indoor places. I think we hit peak compliance in late August. I doubt there is any appetite for stay at home orders on any side so this might just be who we are as a country.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Recently reported in the NY Times (apologies for the paywall)

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/17/h...gtype=Homepage
    Sigh. You would think this sort of political editing wouldn't apply to something so consequential. I saw lots of this during my short tenure working as a government contractor on energy and environmental issues. Folks with no real expertise making pretty significant political edits materially changing what was supposed to be the government's expert's view on science and engineering issues. Double sigh...

CDC reverses course

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Sigh. You would think this sort of political editing wouldn't apply to something so consequential. I saw lots of this during my short tenure working as a government contractor on energy and environmental issues. Folks with no real expertise making pretty significant political edits materially changing what was supposed to be the government's expert's view on science and engineering issues. Double sigh...
    And now the CDC reverses that position, whoever it came from, saying that everyone who comes into contact with a person who has the coronavirus should be tested:

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...ve-updates-us/

And you wonder why folks have no faith in government.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    And now the CDC reverses that position, whoever it came from, saying that everyone who comes into contact with a person who has the coronavirus should be tested:

These are unique times in the Federal Government.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post

I still don't get what us going on here. To make sure I'm not crazy, I just went back to the CDC and carefully reviewed their guidelines. Nowhere could I find that people should be tested. It still says that exposed people should be quarantined for 14 days and monitor themselves for symptoms and for fever, and get tested only if they develop symptoms and/or fever, which is also what we are doing at my place of employ.

Somebody please explain to me what we are talking about here.I heard this all over the news, too, and they're making this out to be a big deal, but for the life of me I don't know what the ruckus is about.

I hope that the vaccine I get next year is as effective at immunizing me from Covid as 50 years of watching Duke football has immunized me against horrific losses.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I hope that the vaccine I get next year is as effective at immunizing me from Covid as 50 years of watching Duke football has immunized me against horrific losses.
    I hope it works better; that was still pretty painful.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Hospitalizations bottomed out a week ago and have begun to turn back up again. Relatively small number still but not a great sign after the Labor Day holiday.

NPR had an interesting story on what is not happening in Africa. The SARS-CoV-2 hasn't laid waste to the continent as feared. There are some hypotheses as to why, but no answer yet.

Linky

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    NPR had an interesting story on what is not happening in Africa. The SARS-CoV-2 hasn't laid waste to the continent as feared. There are some hypotheses as to why, but no answer yet.

Linky
    Thanks. Article didn’t delve too much into the hypotheses but will be interesting to see how the lines of inquiry develop.

Thanks. Article didn’t delve too much into the hypotheses but will be interesting to see how the lines of inquiry develop.
    Many of the areas they mention in that article skew much younger on average. I think the rate of diabetes and obesity is also much lower. I would expect that they are building those in to their model.

I linked this story in the other thread on the EK Board (about when college sports returns) already but maybe it should be in this thread instead:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-to-spill-over

Interesting and somewhat disheartening story about the spread of Covid-19 on college campuses (with a quote from a Duke MD).

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post

Linky
    I have a Nigerian friend (who lives in America) who thinks it's: 1.) A lot of Vitamin D (sun). 2.) Low obesity rates. 3.) Young population. I think the average age in Nigeria is something like 22...although I recognize that link is about Kenya.

Quote Originally Posted by duke79 View Post
    I linked this story in the other thread on the EK Board (about when college sports returns) already but maybe it should be in this thread instead:

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...-to-spill-over

Interesting and somewhat disheartening story about the spread of Covid-19 on college campuses (with a quote from a Duke MD).
    Strong views, not specifically directed at Duke:

“This is beyond our wildest nightmares,” said Gavin Yamey, a physician who directs Duke University’s Center for Policy Impact in Global Health. “It has been a debacle, a national catastrophe and, in many ways, you could consider it a third wave. The third wave is a university reopening wave. It was a self-inflicted national wound.”
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Strong views, not specifically directed at Duke:
    Thanks - yeah, it would not make any sense for it to be directed at Duke, since Duke has had so few cases.

Here is today's dashboard

https://coronavirus.duke.edu/covid-testing/

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Thanks - yeah, it would not make any sense for it to be directed at Duke, since Duke has had so few cases.

Here is today's dashboard

https://coronavirus.duke.edu/covid-testing/

Since, August 2:
    Total tests -- all Duke: 43,775
    Positive tests: 67
    Isolated: 67
    Cleared: 59
    Quarantined: 551 (precaution)
    Released from Quar.: 428

Anyway, positive test rate is less than two-tenths of one percent: 0.2%. Higher for faculty and staff than for students (46 out of 40,341)
    Number still infected: 8
    Number if quarantine: 123 (contact tracing, typically)
    Sage Grouse

Wire service story today on significant rises in cases in Big 10 schools and vicinity...not encouraging at all.

Wow. The CDC reverses itself again - now regarding their statement from FRIDAY on airborne transmission. Really inspires confidence. SMH.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...outputType=amp
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Since, August 2:
    Total tests -- all Duke: 43,775
    Positive tests: 67
    Isolated: 67
    Cleared: 59
    Quarantined: 551 (precaution)
    Released from Quar.: 428

Anyway, positive test rate is less than two-tenths of one percent: 0.2%. Higher for faculty and staff than for students (46 out of 40,341)
    Number still infected: 8
    Number if quarantine: 123 (contact tracing, typically)
    I think this is VERY impressive! Kudos to all for following guidelines and keeping each other safe.