Page 501 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 4014514914995005015025035115516011001 ... LastLast
Results 10,001 to 10,020 of 22195
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    William & Mary had all faculty, staff, and students get tested before they allowed the freshmen and transfer students to move onto campus 3 weeks ago. They had 15 positive results in the pre-move in tests, no positive tests in the last week. So far, so good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    William & Mary had all faculty, staff, and students get tested before they allowed the freshmen and transfer students to move onto campus 3 weeks ago. They had 15 positive results in the pre-move in tests, no positive tests in the last week. So far, so good.
    Congrats on the 10,000th reply on this thread and to DevilHorse for the 10,000th message.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

That's great news, and hopefully indicative that colleges can make it work, if the right structures are in place, and (most) everyone is responsible and pulling in the same direction.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Congrats on the 10,000th reply on this thread and to DevilHorse for the 10,000th message.
    I don't even want to do the math to realize how long it might or might not take to surpass LTE.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I don't even want to do the math to realize how long it might or might not take to surpass LTE.
    Don't have to worry about the (penultimate) LTE - just have to catch up to the Beer devotees.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Don't have to worry about the (penultimate) LTE - just have to catch up to the Beer devotees.
    I think we have the answer to where the beer folks go when they can’t go to a pub. Y’see there’s this thread on DBR.

New Theory

Interesting article in Medium about a new theory as to how the coronavirus attacks us: https://elemental.medium.com/a-super...d-31cb8eba9d63

When Summit was done, researchers analyzed the results. It was, in the words of Dr. Daniel Jacobson, lead researcher and chief scientist for computational systems biology at Oak Ridge, a “eureka moment.” The computer had revealed a new theory about how Covid-19 impacts the body: the bradykinin hypothesis. The hypothesis provides a model that explains many aspects of Covid-19, including some of its most bizarre symptoms. It also suggests 10-plus potential treatments, many of which are already FDA approved. Jacobson’s group published their results in a paper in the journal eLife in early July.

The underlying article is here: https://elifesciences.org/articles/59177

This sounds promising, but I'd like to see more experts weigh in, both generally and anyone here who knows enough to comment intelligently.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Interesting article in Medium about a new theory as to how the coronavirus attacks us: https://elemental.medium.com/a-super...d-31cb8eba9d63

When Summit was done, researchers analyzed the results. It was, in the words of Dr. Daniel Jacobson, lead researcher and chief scientist for computational systems biology at Oak Ridge, a “eureka moment.” The computer had revealed a new theory about how Covid-19 impacts the body: the bradykinin hypothesis. The hypothesis provides a model that explains many aspects of Covid-19, including some of its most bizarre symptoms. It also suggests 10-plus potential treatments, many of which are already FDA approved. Jacobson’s group published their results in a paper in the journal eLife in early July.

This sounds promising, but I'd like to see more experts weigh in, both generally and anyone here who knows enough to comment intelligently.
    Man the bolded certainly rules me out. I can't even sporkz someone correctly these days.

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Man the bolded certainly rules me out. I can't even sporkz someone correctly these days.
    I know, dang it. I too was ready to jump right in there.

Is there anyone out there who qualifies and can comment?

Hey

Quote Originally Posted by jv001 View Post
    Sounds like you're qualified to be an admin, or an ACC ref!

Compare that to JMU, on the other side of the state, who just had to shut down in-person and send everyone home after a week!

https://www.newsleader.com/story/new...es/5686751002/

Over 500 active cases since July.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Sounds like you're qualified to be an admin, or an ACC ref!
    or, UNC’s head basketball coach!

Kirk Cousins has an interesting perspective on COVID - apparently he is not troubled by it at all. I appreciate the fact that he is respectful of others around him (I don't know if he has much of a choice when he is in the Vikings facilities). I recognize that some of us are by nature more nervous about such things than others and we all have to make our own risk calculations based on our personal circumstances so it is hard to judge others but this reads like he is making almost no effort to reduce his chances of getting it. Not sure if I would want to be in the huddle with him leading my offense...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...avirus-die-die

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Kirk Cousins has an interesting perspective on COVID - apparently he is not troubled by it at all. I appreciate the fact that he is respectful of others around him (I don't know if he has much of a choice when he is in the Vikings facilities). I recognize that some of us are by nature more nervous about such things than others and we all have to make our own risk calculations based on our personal circumstances so it is hard to judge others but this reads like he is making almost no effort to reduce his chances of getting it. Not sure if I would want to be in the huddle with him leading my offense...

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...avirus-die-die
    I wonder if he has any at risk folks he interacts with, e.g. elderly parents, anyone immuno compromised? As we've noted 1,000 times here, it's not just about HIS risk of dying...

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    This past Saturday I started to not feel well, with chills, sore throat, and body aches. By Sunday morning I was useless, completely fatigued. My girlfriend is a child therapist, so we made the decision to take me in to get tested; she had to know if I had contracted it so she could change her schedule from in person appointments to telehealth. (Which she will tell you does not go over well with little kids.)

At the urgent care clinic, they gave me both a rapid test and a turn in test, and they made her get tested as well. Thankfully for us, all of our tests came back negative. I was still pretty annoyed though. By Sunday night, I was running a fever over 102 degrees, and was feeling deathly. I'm back to normal now, but I'm someone that is religious about wearing my mask if we go out, which we rarely do anyway. When I do have to go shopping, I make sure that it is at a place that is strict about requiring masks.

So for all my mask wearing, and avoidance of public scenarios, I still get a virus! It is scary to think what kind of shape we'd be in if everyone eschewed health guidelines and we all did as we please.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    So for all my mask wearing, and avoidance of public scenarios, I still get a virus! It is scary to think what kind of shape we'd be in if everyone eschewed health guidelines and we all did as we please.
    I'd bet money you got it from your girlfriend, who was a mere carrier for that particular bug. As any parent knows, little kids = world's more proficient cold and flu vectors.

Certainly not qualified to comment, but since the article was initially published in early July, almost two months ago, I'd also be curious if there are any ongoing treatment trials for the suggested therapeutics. There were 5 or 6 in a table at the end of the article, among which was just large doses of vitamin D. They aren't cures, of course, but if we can treat people so they don't die or suffer long-term damage in the meantime, maybe at least some of them can fight it off on their own.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    Certainly not qualified to comment, but since the article was initially published in early July, almost two months ago, I'd also be curious if there are any ongoing treatment trials for the suggested therapeutics. There were 5 or 6 in a table at the end of the article, among which was just large doses of vitamin D. They aren't cures, of course, but if we can treat people so they don't die or suffer long-term damage in the meantime, maybe at least some of them can fight it off on their own.
    According to this article, yes, trials are ongoing:

"That is what his group found in a small exploratory study published this month. COVID-19 patients taking icatibant showed marked improvement in oxygenation as evidenced by a substantial decrease in need for supplemental oxygen, compared to control patients.

Allen Kaplan, a professor at the Medical University of South Carolina and an expert on bradykinin who was not connected with the study, tells The Scientist that this preliminary observation supports the idea that icatibant might be helpful “and should therefore be studied in a double-blind placebo-controlled fashion [in COVID patients].”

Another multicenter randomized clinical trial in the US is testing icatibant in critically ill COVID-19 patients in the ICU.

A clinical trial in Cleveland is testing lanadelumab in COVID-19 patients with pneumonia.

van de Veerdonk’s group is also testing the plasma kallikrein inhibitor (which is being supplied by Takeda, a company that also manufactures icatibant) in a multicenter clinical trial in the Netherlands in hospitalized COVID-19 patients receiving supplemental oxygen, to see whether the drug decreases the need for oxygen."

https://www.the-scientist.com/news-o...ovid-19--67876

Update on US COVID-19 Numbers, September 2

I was posting the COVID-19 updates almost daily and haven't in a while. There has been very little change over the past nine days. The seven-day average for new cases has dropped from 43,300 to 42,500 -- less than two percent (per Worldometers). The seven-day average of new deaths has dropped from 971 to 934 -- less than four percent.

This is really dismaying. I suppose returning to school will naturally spur contact and lead to new case, offsetting a more secular decline as Arizona, Florida, Texas. Louisiana, Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina and other states move past their peaks.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I'd bet money you got it from your girlfriend, who was a mere carrier for that particular bug. As any parent knows, little kids = world's more proficient cold and flu vectors.
    That's of course possible, but she woke up with a sore throat this morning, so we're crossing fingers that it isn't me giving it to her. (We have weekend plans, ain't got time to be sick. )
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."