Page 5 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 3456715551055051005 ... LastLast
    I know not what course others may take; but as for me, give me liberty, or give me death!
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The WHO just declared a global health emergency.

We won't get fooled again! I'm sorry, should I be taking this more seriously?

Quote Originally Posted by Reddevil View Post
    We won't get fooled again! I'm sorry, should I be taking this more seriously?
    good question. I suspect we may be ready to enter the stupid phase, in which people ask if they can catch it from frozen egg rolls.

Time for designers to start selling hospital face masks as accessories. Apparel level appearance, but still disposable. Great investment?

August 9th, 2020 is the opening date for the Tokyo Olympics. Japan already reports 11 cases, one of which was transmitted domestically.

Any chance we cancel the Olympics over this? China should count their lucky stars this didn't happen two years from now.

No comments in nearly 5 days. Is it too early to say hysteria over?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    No comments in nearly 5 days. Is it too early to say hysteria over?
    Yes...been thinking off digging my bunker. Just bought 100 lbs of dry beans in case of quarantine. Be prepared.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Yes...been thinking off digging my bunker. Just bought 100 lbs of dry beans in case of quarantine. Be prepared.
    I was gonna stock up on frozen egg rolls, but read somewhere that you can catch the corona virus from them.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I was gonna stock up on frozen egg rolls, but read somewhere that you can catch the corona virus from them.
    precisely!

Broadway-Tower-Cotswolds-homepage-800x800-Nuclear-Bunker-1.jpg

It was a little tight for my super bowl party. Wait, maybe I shouldn't have had people over?

Quote Originally Posted by fidel View Post
    Broadway-Tower-Cotswolds-homepage-800x800-Nuclear-Bunker-1.jpg

It was a little tight for my super bowl party. Wait, maybe I shouldn't have had people over?
    As long as you have a meat cooler, you can keep them there!

Over 3,500 people quarantined on Diamond Princess cruise after guest tests positive for coronavirus. The ship departed Jan. 20 from Yokohama, Japan, was scheduled to return Tuesday. Local health officials are reviewing the 2,666 guests and 1,045 crew members on board for symptoms.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...cid=spartanntp

As the health issues are of primary concern, we are starting to see some side effects:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/04/reut...ts-supply.html

Hyundai is going to suspend production is South Korea because they can't get parts from China.
    The article also reports that several car makers have halted production in China itself.

One of the more amazing things I've seen is the video of the Chinese building a couple of 1000 bed hospitals in what, ten days? When they first began, the image of about 100 excavators working cheek to jowl was surreal.
    I wonder how many doctors and nurses and other required stuff they have for those buildings...

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    As the health issues are of primary concern, we are starting to see some side effects:

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/02/04/reut...ts-supply.html

Hyundai is going to suspend production is South Korea because they can't get parts from China.
    The article also reports that several car makers have halted production in China itself.
    Is that what Hyundai meant by 'Smaht Pahk'?

I'm still not particularly worried. It has spread a lot faster than SARS, but the fatality level is actually now quite a bit lower. I think over the next 3-4 months this thing quiets down a lot. It may have a toll on financial markets that lasts for a while.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    I'm still not particularly worried. It has spread a lot faster than SARS, but the fatality level is actually now quite a bit lower. I think over the next 3-4 months this thing quiets down a lot. It may have a toll on financial markets that lasts for a while.
    The problem I think will not be the mortskity rate, but the severe complication rate.

If lot of people get very ill and need advanced medical care and monitoring, that will be a mess.

I pray for those on that cruise ship. We will learn a lot from that petri fish, unfortunately.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    The problem I think will not be the mortskity rate, but the severe complication rate.

If lot of people get very ill and need advanced medical care and monitoring, that will be a mess.

I pray for those on that cruise ship. We will learn a lot from that petri fish, unfortunately.
    I live in a town with four hospitals. My doctor pointed out yesterday that if 100 people here needed hospitalization — a very small outbreak — there would not be enough beds for them.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    One of the more amazing things I've seen is the video of the Chinese building a couple of 1000 bed hospitals in what, ten days?
    I'm guessing the term "hospital" is being used somewhat loosely there. I'm guessing what they'll actually get is a place with a lot of beds and some medical supplies and not a whole lot else. Probably still better than nothing, but likely not a true hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I'm guessing the term "hospital" is being used somewhat loosely there. I'm guessing what they'll actually get is a place with a lot of beds and some medical supplies and not a whole lot else. Probably still better than nothing, but likely not a true hospital.
    yeah, what they showed last night on TV was a modular room, looked like a decent hospital bed and accoutrements, but no way of knowing what else they had like labs, etc...still, that's a lot of beds in 10 days...

US News - The husband and wife that have 2019-nCov were quarantining themselves at home, but have taken a turn for the worse and both of them have been taken to the University of California San Francisco Medical Center.

https://thehill.com/changing-america...-infected-with

This is the biggest fear, not that folks die, but that they require advanced medical care which society just does not have the capacity to provide in the event of a pandemic.