Page 487 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 387437477485486487488489497537587987 ... LastLast
Results 9,721 to 9,740 of 22199
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    At my hospital, about 30% refuse for whatever reason and, yes, they are supposed to wear a mask from October through April. Now, you can't tell who refused! Our flu shots are free. Waiting to hear if non-frontline employees will be included early on in the COVID vaccines
    UPDATE: We have been told that flu vaccines will be MANDATORY this year. Thank goodness!!!

Just in case we need a reminder of what the COVID-19 experience can be like when hospitalization isn't required.

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story...=pocket-newtab

UPDATE: We have been told that flu vaccines will be MANDATORY this year. Thank goodness!!!
    Hopefully, that’s setting the stage for mandatory Covid vaccines. IMO, it’s prudent to force this issue before Covid vaccines arrive. Most who agree to a flu vaccination will later agree to a Covid vaccination.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    Hopefully, that’s setting the stage for mandatory Covid vaccines. IMO, it’s prudent to force this issue before Covid vaccines arrive. Most who agree to a flu vaccination will later agree to a Covid vaccination.
    Exactly what I thought and what I am hoping for.

So, Syracuse is one of those schools that is trying to have an on-campus experience for students. They know it will be difficult, but they pleaded with students to be careful and help in the effort.

Last night, there was a huge gathering of freshmen on the main quad at Syracuse. Hundreds of kids came out to party and have a good time. Here is an article about it: https://www.syracuse.com/coronavirus...this-week.html

The University president has responded... and he is not pleased: https://news.syr.edu/blog/2020/08/20...less-behavior/

Make no mistake, there was not a single student who gathered on the Quad last night who did not know and understand that it was wrong to do so. Instead, those students knowingly ignored New York State public health law and the provisions of the Syracuse University Stay Safe Pledge. Even more selfish and unsettling is how the actions of those students willfully undercut the efforts of those who have worked tirelessly over the summer to set the conditions for the continuation of residential learning. Even more selfish and unsettling is how the actions of those students may prevent our seniors from claiming their final year of college on our residential campus. Even more selfish and unsettling is how the actions of those students could force a situation where some of their classmates may have to vacate the most safe and stable and supportive living situation they have ever known.
    -Jason "the president says he may have to shut the campus down as a result of last night..." Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 08-20-2020 at 02:58 PM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

The University president has responded... and he is not pleased: https://news.syr.edu/blog/2020/08/20...less-behavior/
    tl;dr -- "don't blame us when we send you home but keep your tuition, room/board, and meal plan money."

It's a mess.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Nothing makes an American happy like being told they have to do something.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Cue the anti-vaxxer revolt.

NCSU sending 'em home. Except for athletes, of course.

https://abc11.com/education/nc-state...id-19/6380269/

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Cue the anti-vaxxer revolt.
    More precisely cue the religious-exemption-anti-vaxxer revolt.

NCSU sending 'em home. Except for athletes, of course.

https://abc11.com/education/nc-state...id-19/6380269/
    I'm increasingly disgusted by the length schools are going to prolong the slim chance of fall sports.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    More precisely cue the religious-exemption-anti-vaxxer revolt.
    There’s a very strong positive correlation between education attainment and vaccination desire.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    There’s a very strong positive correlation between education attainment and vaccination desire.
    Dunno that's always true. There were some very tony private schools in CA with low vaccination rates. The measles epidemic at Disneyland in Anaheim apparently has since had an effect.

Then there are the anomalies:

The highest vaccination rate in kindergarten occurs in Mississippi (99.2%) -- the state with the second-lowest percent of adult population with bachelor's degrees. (Secret recipe -- You can't go to school in Mississippi without being vaccinated.)

The lowest percentage (87%) is my home state of Colorado -- which has the second-highest percentage of population with a bachelor's degree (after Mass.). Colorado seems to be a "live and let live" kind of state -- marijuana legalization, vote-by-mail -- but it is misguided when it comes to vaccinations, which are very important for public health.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Dunno that's always true.
    My most recent source....

“ The new data also show that the more formal education people have, the more likely they are to get a vaccine.

Among adults who have at least graduated from college or have graduated from college with further education, 56 percent say they would get a vaccine, while just 16 percent say they wouldn't. When those who have completed postgraduate degrees were asked, 68 percent say they would get vaccinated and just 9 percent say they and their families wouldn't.

The numbers dramatically decline when the question is asked of adults who received high school degrees or less and those who completed only some college. Thirty-six percent of adults who completed high school or less say they would get vaccinated, while 27 percent say they wouldn't and 34 percent say they aren't sure. Thirty-eight percent of those with "some college" education say they would get vaccinated, 26 percent say they wouldn't and 35 percent say they're unsure.”

https://apple.news/Ab_qDau_KRHuJhYVUKb_v2g

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Dunno that's always true. There were some very tony private schools in CA with low vaccination rates. The measles epidemic at Disneyland in Anaheim apparently has since had an effect.

Then there are the anomalies:

The highest vaccination rate in kindergarten occurs in Mississippi (99.2%) -- the state with the second-lowest percent of adult population with bachelor's degrees. (Secret recipe -- You can't go to school in Mississippi without being vaccinated.)

The lowest percentage (87%) is my home state of Colorado -- which has the second-highest percentage of population with a bachelor's degree (after Mass.). Colorado seems to be a "live and let live" kind of state -- marijuana legalization, vote-by-mail -- but it is misguided when it comes to vaccinations, which are very important for public health.
    It just seemed crazy to me driving on the freeways of Colorado and seeing motorcyclists passing me at 75 mph without a helmet. Legally. I would hate to work in their emergency rooms or post injury convalescent centers.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    It just seemed crazy to me driving on the freeways of Colorado and seeing motorcyclists passing me at 75 mph without a helmet. Legally. I would hate to work in their emergency rooms or post injury convalescent centers.
    New Hamster is the same way..it tends to thin out the dumb ones who aren't very cautious.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    An argument for wearing helmets:

Gary Busey.jpgGary Busey.jpg

You're not seeing double, this is what Gary Busey sees when he looks in the mirror.
    Last edited by CameronBlue; 08-21-2020 at 08:49 AM. Reason: Busey's case is pretty sad actually, an easy target, but an effective cautionary tale as well.

Duke is being a pretty good model for how to address COVID on a college campus. My son has moved to NC State for his graduate studies, and unfortunately I think he'd be considerably safer here. Grad students at State are exempt from the "all online" requirement, but fortunately, he has only one in-person class, and there are only five people in the class, so he's still a lot better off than the general undergrad population.

Meanwhile, though, I really like what Duke is doing here.

Data fiascos continue. Texas has no idea its position rate because they have no idea how many tests they’ve really done.

https://www.expressnews.com/politics...e-15498320.php

Over the past week and a half, the state began reporting coronavirus data from a backlog of 500,000 viral tests that officials say accumulated because of coding errors from Quest Diagnostics, Walgreens and CHRISTUS Health — all private entities that process the tests.