Page 367 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 267317357365366367368369377417467867 ... LastLast
Results 7,321 to 7,340 of 22200
    So now that our governor has required masks, all of the businesses I have seen in Vegas now have signs and will not let you in without one. Great sign. I went to the grocery store today and it’s usually about 20% full of mask wearers but today it was 100%. Love it.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    This is what is CRAZY. People sacrificed their jobs, livelihoods, children's educations, etc. to various extents during the shutdown and it has all been squandered. All over the simplicity of wearing a mask. If the goal is to get the economy going, mandating masks is a no-brainer.

What am I missing?
    Much more testing and much better contact tracing. I think we have blown it on three fronts, not just one.

This is what is CRAZY. People sacrificed their jobs, livelihoods, children's educations, etc. to various extents during the shutdown and it has all been squandered. All over the simplicity of wearing a mask. If the goal is to get the economy going, mandating masks is a no-brainer.

What am I missing?
    The stubborn gene? The adolescent 'you are not the boss of me' mentality? A 'question authority' bumper sticker? An anti-science bent? An inborn mustrust? A tendency to believe in conspiracy theories? Could be any number of things.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    A 'question authority' bumper sticker?
    I have one and think it’s very appropriate!
    Authority (federal and state leaders) cannot agree about the best solution to this horrible problem, so why should I blindly trust authority? Medical experts have changed their minds on whether ibuprofen is harmful or actually helpful. Some medical experts wrote prescriptions, for family and friends, for a drug that may actually be harmful. I’m glad I question authority!

What am I missing?
    Saw a great post on Facebook about this:

Finally some good news,
    Scientists discovered a treatment that can reduce COVID19
    transmission by 70%, and it's just a piece of cloth you wear
    in front of your foolish face.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    I have one and think it’s very appropriate!
    Authority (federal and state leaders) cannot agree about the best solution to this horrible problem, so why should I blindly trust authority? Medical experts have changed their minds on whether ibuprofen is harmful or actually helpful. Some medical experts wrote prescriptions, for family and friends, for a drug that may actually be harmful. I’m glad I question authority!
    But that's how the scientific method works. You get more data and refine your hypothesis.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    But that's how the scientific method works. You get more data and refine your hypothesis.
    IMO, I’ve seen plenty of data to conclude it’s foolish to blindly trust federal and state leaders. As a result, I’ll continue questioning authority.

IMO, I’ve seen plenty of data to conclude it’s foolish to blindly trust federal and state leaders. As a result, I’ll continue questioning authority.
    I don't disagree with that. But I've been religiously following CDC recommendations.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I don't disagree with that. But I've been religiously following CDC recommendations.
    I definitely agree, I’m not even taking chances the CDC might. We are considering having my wife quit her job (which she likes) to stay home with our 12 year old (virtual schooling) until all of us are vaccinated. That might be a long time!

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Saw a great post on Facebook about this:

Finally some good news,
    Scientists discovered a treatment that can reduce COVID19
    transmission by 70%, and it's just a piece of cloth you wear
    in front of your foolish face.
    AND IT'S CHEAP!!! $5 to $10 depending on how fashionable you want to be, one-time dose lasts months and months with a simple wash now and again.

What am I missing?
    Nothing that I can see. This is beyond crazy. It is a full blown literal tragedy.

Adding another data point to the school discussion earlier --- I was in Charlottesville over the weekend and it sounds like that school system has delayed opening by 3 weeks to give teachers an opportunity to prepare for in-person teaching.

We'll see, man.

NYT surveyed 132 epidemiologists a few weeks ago about when they would send their children back to school. 40% said summer, 30% said winter or later.

I don't think even if schools do open up in the Fall, we'll see attendance anywhere close to approaching normal levels. Parents will keep their kids home.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Adding another data point to the school discussion earlier --- I was in Charlottesville over the weekend and it sounds like that school system has delayed opening by 3 weeks to give teachers an opportunity to prepare for in-person teaching.

We'll see, man.

NYT surveyed 132 epidemiologists a few weeks ago about when they would send their children back to school. 40% said summer, 30% said winter or later.

I don't think even if schools do open up in the Fall, we'll see attendance anywhere close to approaching normal levels. Parents will keep their kids home.
    2020 or 2021?

You're a great guy, but "blindly trust" is the worst of straw men. Some sensible reasons being advanced for "social spacing" and "masks."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

2020 or 2021?
    2020. Full 15% said 1+ year.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post

We'll see, man.

I cannot remember if I mentioned this yet, but our elementary school district did a survey with parents who were enrolling for 2020-2021. 40% chose full virtual. 60% chose in person option (details TBD).

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I cannot remember if I mentioned this yet, but our elementary school district did a survey with parents who were enrolling for 2020-2021. 40% chose full virtual. 60% chose in person option (details TBD).
    What state/area? We have to make that decision in my part of Georgia. By mid-week. Because, why give people time to think it through.

Fairfax County, VA schools

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    A few days ago, public school teachers in Fairfax, VA rejected the system's plans for in-person teaching this fall: https://www.washingtonpost.com/local...74a_story.html

This is from the Wall Street Journal (on msn, no paywall), so Trump is starting to get pressure on masks from all sides. I don't see him giving in. This appears to be a hill he's willing to die on. Maybe because after making fun of Biden (it's in the article), to reverse course would be to admit Biden was right.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...qRj?li=BBnb7Kz

Yep

This is from the Wall Street Journal (on msn, no paywall), so Trump is starting to get pressure on masks from all sides. I don't see him giving in. This appears to be a hill he's willing to die on. Maybe because after making fun of Biden (it's in the article), to reverse course would be to admit Biden was right.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/polit...qRj?li=BBnb7Kz
    Pence today in Texas wore a mask and urged people to wear them when they can't social distance. https://talkingpointsmemo.com/news/p...ng-coronavirus