Page 303 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 203253293301302303304305313353403803 ... LastLast
Results 6,041 to 6,060 of 22195
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    What is the effectiveness of the flu vaccine during the last decade?

I’m truly shocked only ~ 70% would get vaccinated. If an effective vaccine was currently available, I would gladly pay $1,000 today for each member of my family to be vaccinated.
    Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    According to the CDC, in years when the vaccine is a reasonably good match for the strain of flu, the vaccine reduces the risk of getting the flu by 40-60%.

That's after many years of work. The big difference is that the flu strains change every year; cross fingers on covid.

https://www.cdc.gov/flu/vaccines-work/vaccineeffect.htm
    Yep! The flu vaccine isn't terribly effective. Better than not getting it, but still not wildly effective. Vaccines in other diseases often show better effectiveness than flu vaccines show, so hopefully the COVID vaccines work better than the flu vaccines. But that is still an unknown at this point, obviously. Fingers crossed.

And agree - if the vaccines are found to be safe (like the flu vaccine) and low-cost (which appears that it will be the case), there is no rational reason not to get it. It's better for the person vaccinated, and it is better for those around the person vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Relating to some upthread comments:

5. I can't imagine what would entice me to attend a 90 minute meeting in an enclosed space. I view it as wantonly dangerous to go to church, attend large work meetings, etc. Even if you're in a place with no known cases, there could easily be someone asymptomatic but infectious in the row behind you. Even if I were wearing a mask and there were no singing, viral particles from that infected person behind me would be wafting around and through my mask--and it's the accumulation of viral particles that gets you: walking through a church, fine. Sitting in a place for 90 minutes? I'm betting lives on my hope that no one within 10 feet of me is infected. Multiply that low risk event by 1000 or 10,000 places of worship, and you get several new clusters of infections--and they'd generally be occurring among older people who tend to get really sick from covid and in people who aren't taking this seriously, and so they'll likely infect many others.

It's just insane that they're allowing this sort of gathering.
    My pastor and our church council are trying to make an informed decision on when we will open - we aren't even close yet. As part of this process, I've been paying attention to how various churches are going about this. Most of what I have seen has been limiting how many can attend, often by making a "reservation", designating doors for entry and exit with doors propped open, seating front to back and dismissing back to front, no congregational singing, and limiting the service length (trying to avoid the need for using restrooms), people sitting every 3rd pew/6 feet apart, and stringent cleaning requirements between services. As churches open, it is up to every member to determine when they will return to the building. There isn't a way to totally eliminate the possibility of infection but most are trying to limit it as much as possible. (We won't open until we get live streaming set up - currently our online services are all recorded. Unfortunately, some of the people we need to work with are not getting back to us.) I feel for the pastors having to make these decisions - they have to worry about the spiritual and physical well-being of their congregation and it isn't easy.

Regarding churches as essential businesses - my complaint was when a church wasn't treated the same as a business. Locally, businesses were allowed to open under the 10/10/10 rule - 10 people or 10% of your occupancy and keep a record of people who were there longer than 10 minutes. Churches were limited to 10 people - even if their capacity was 2,500. I didn't think that was fair.

Mods - feel free to delete the last paragraph if too political/controversial. That wasn't my intent.

This is a link to an article that explains why "immunity passports" won't be any good for quite some time unless you live in an area where there has been a lot of infection in the general public. It's just simple epidemiology, but most people don't understand it. This guy lays it out pretty well. He does calculate positive predictive value incorrectly, coming up with 49% for his answer when if he had calculated it properly, it would have come out to 51%, but the point that it's "no better than a coin toss" still stands, even after the error is corrected.

In essence, the point of it is that the positive predictive value of any test depends on the prevalence of the condition in the population being tested.

https://www.medscape.com/viewarticle...=2404654&faf=1
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

All of a sudden North Carolina’s Rt number has jumped up a good amount above ‘1’... Worst in the country....

https://rt.live/

I am still staying put...
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    All of a sudden North Carolina’s Rt number has jumped up a good amount above ‘1’... Worst in the country...

Whoa. What in the heck is going on? Why is North Carolina doing so poorly?

NC's numbers have been slowly growing for weeks now (with hospitalizations hitting highs a few days ago) and yet they keep opening stuff up. This problem has been evident for some time...(I guess pressure on the Gov is too much).

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    NC's poor numbers are a reflection of our success in shutting things down. We were ahead of the curve. No place to go but up.

They are also a response to our very low testing rate for the first two months. No place to go but up.

It worries me that our percent of test positive have slowly been climbing, which tells me the virus is starting to get ahead of us.

The good news is we have a ton of hospital capacity... I guess that's good news for all the covidiots out there.

We are spending the week on one of the northern beaches in the Outer Banks. We brought enough food with us to be able to avoid a trip to a grocery store. However, we carried out dinner the last four nights from restaurants in Duck and Corolla and we have yet to see an employee in a restaurant who is wearing a mask, although Phase 2 of the governor’s order “strongly encourages” restaurant employees to wear masks.

We are in a part of Sanderling with very few homes and, even without COVID-19, groups are always separated by at least 30 yards on the beach in front of our house. When we drive through the village of Duck, it appears that the crowds are about what would be expected for a week at the beginning of June. However, we are not seeing many masks on the people strolling around the shops. And, many of the visitors in the Outer Banks are from Mid-Atlantic states.

I can’t speak to the rest of North Carolina, but the Outer Banks appears to have declared victory and moved on.
    Last edited by DST Fan; 06-04-2020 at 08:37 AM. Reason: Typo

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    All of a sudden North Carolina’s Rt number has jumped up a good amount above ‘1’... Worst in the country...

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post

I’m beginning to not trust those numbers as they are constantly revising their algorithm. A couple days ago Texas was at a 1.13. We are seeing increasing case counts and the rolling 7 day numbers are the highest they’ve been. This holds true for here in San Antonio also, though we haven’t seen the same increases other Texas metros have. The upside still is that hospital capacity is in good shape but even those numbers continue to inch up/get worse.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I’m beginning to not trust those numbers as they are constantly revising their algorithm. A couple days ago Texas was at a 1.13. We are seeing increasing case counts and the rolling 7 day numbers are the highest they’ve been. This holds true for here in San Antonio also, though we haven’t seen the same increases other Texas metros have. The upside still is that hospital capacity is in good shape but even those numbers continue to inch up/get worse.
    And a good portion of the country has seen warmer weather in the last few weeks. What happens when fall and flu season get's here? I hope to see more people wearing masks here in Piedmont, NC and that's now not then. I don't care what the WHO says about wearing masks.

Quote Originally Posted by DST Fan View Post
    We are spending the week on one of the northern beaches in the Outer Banks. We brought enough food with us to be able to avoid a trip to a grocery store. However, we carried out dinner the last four nights from restaurants in Duck and Corolla and we have yet to see an employee in a restaurant who is wearing a mask, although Phase 2 of the governor’s order “strongly encourages” restaurant employees to wear masks.

We are in a part of Sanderling with very few homes and, even without COVID-19, groups are always separated by at least 30 yards on the beach in front of our house. When we drive through the village of Duck, it appears that the crowds are about what would be expected for a week at the beginning of June. However, we are not seeing many masks on the people strolling around the shops. And, many of the visitors in the Outer Banks are from Mid-Atlantic states.

I can’t speak to the rest of North Carolina, but the Outer Banks appears to have declared victory and moved on.
    I live in the southern OBX and I can tell you the attitude here has been quite relaxed for weeks now. I was terrified that the influx of tourists + nonchalant attitude would cause a massive spread here after Memorial Day weekend, but haven't heard of anything yet. YET. I'd estimate 1/20 grocery store shoppers wear a mask. I go into Lowes Foods the other day, people not wearing masks are picking up bananas and other produce, looking at them, and putting them back down. No worries. Of course most people around here take their cues directly from the White House and wave Trump flags on their boats. If you live anywhere near the Triangle and plan on visiting the NC beaches this summer, please know that things will look very different than your home.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    I live in the southern OBX and I can tell you the attitude here has been quite relaxed for weeks now. I was terrified that the influx of tourists + nonchalant attitude would cause a massive spread here after Memorial Day weekend, but haven't heard of anything yet. YET. I'd estimate 1/20 grocery store shoppers wear a mask. I go into Lowes Foods the other day, people not wearing masks are picking up bananas and other produce, looking at them, and putting them back down. No worries. Of course most people around here take their cues directly from the White House and wave Trump flags on their boats. If you live anywhere near the Triangle and plan on visiting the NC beaches this summer, please know that things will look very different than your home.
    The contrast between DC/Northern Virginia and Duck was jarring. After keeping the nonresident property owners out for weeks, I am surprised by how quickly the attitude changed in Dare County.

COVID-19 numbers in the Commonwealth of Virginia as of June 4, 2020:

Positive COVID-19 Cases: 47,856 (+951 from Wednesday)
    People Hospitalized: 4,957 (+73 from Wednesday)
    COVID-19-Linked Deaths: 1,445 (+17 from Wednesday)
    Total Tests: 394,066 (+12,527 from Wednesday)

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I took my sons to Cambridge, MA for haircuts yesterday. My stylist was wearing a mask and a face shield as were the other salon employees. I paid first then they took my sons one at a time. The rest of us took turns waiting somewhere else. (We bought a pizza and ate it picnic style in a neighborhood park/playground.) The only people on foot I saw without masks the entire time I was in Cambridge were an infant who was by my guess about 5 months old and a 4 year old on a scooter. That's in stores, out of stores, walking down the street, everywhere I looked. Some were even wearing them while driving/cycling. For the record, I do not keep a mask on when I'm driving. I know, I know, The People's Republic of Cambridge, but everybody is buying into mask wearing there. Massachusetts is not on a plateau, Massachusetts is on a decline. There are some bumps, but the 7 day average keeps going down. Hope it stays that way.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronDuke View Post
    COVID-19 numbers in the Commonwealth of Virginia as of June 4, 2020:

Positive COVID-19 Cases: 47,856 (+951 from Wednesday)
    People Hospitalized: 4,957 (+73 from Wednesday)
    COVID-19-Linked Deaths: 1,445 (+17 from Wednesday)
    Total Tests: 394,066 (+12,527 from Wednesday)
    Though I don't live in VA I find these running stats that are posted interesting so thank you to those who are putting them up. One more stat that would be helpful is "Number of People Currently Hospitalized." I don't know if this is provided. One of the major goals of the shut downs was to flatten the curve so hospitals don't get overwhelmed, which is what was starting to happen in NYC. So knowing the number of people currently in the hospital gives a bit of a sense of that.

An even better statistic would be something like "Number of hospitals over x% capacity" as an absolute number doesn't reflect whether they cases are equally spread out across the state so that they are more manageable or just concentrated in a small area - if you considered the number of cases at peak in NY state, they wouldn't have been nearly as troubling if they were spread all across the state but they were concentrated in a small area. I think that at least some decision makers are focusing on statistics like these in addition to the ones that have been provided.

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Though I don't live in VA I find these running stats that are posted interesting so thank you to those who are putting them up. One more stat that would be helpful is "Number of People Currently Hospitalized." I don't know if this is provided. One of the major goals of the shut downs was to flatten the curve so hospitals don't get overwhelmed, which is what was starting to happen in NYC. So knowing the number of people currently in the hospital gives a bit of a sense of that.

An even better statistic would be something like "Number of hospitals over x% capacity" as an absolute number doesn't reflect whether they cases are equally spread out across the state so that they are more manageable or just concentrated in a small area - if you considered the number of cases at peak in NY state, they wouldn't have been nearly as troubling if they were spread all across the state but they were concentrated in a small area. I think that at least some decision makers are focusing on statistics like these in addition to the ones that have been provided.

Thanks again.
    You’re welcome. Here’s what I could find regarding hospitals in Virginia;

The number of people who have been discharged from a hospital after testing positive for coronavirus continues to increase - a glimpse at how many people are recovering from the virus in the state.

As of Thursday, June 4, 6,284 people have been discharged following hospitalization for coronavirus. The state also reports that it currently has 4,152 beds available with only 19 percent of its ventilators in use.

There are currently 1,266 patients in hospitals who are either positive or whose test results are pending throughout the state.

As the number of COVID-19 cases continues to rise throughout Virginia, the Virginia Hospital and Healthcare Association (VHHA) is also keeping track of the state’s hospital bed and ventilator availability.

You’re welcome. Here’s what I could find regarding hospitals in Virginia;

The number of people who have been discharged from a hospital after testing positive for coronavirus continues to increase - a glimpse at how many people are recovering from the virus in the state.

As of Thursday, June 4, 6,284 people have been discharged following hospitalization for coronavirus. The state also reports that it currently has 4,152 beds available with only 19 percent of its ventilators in use.

There are currently 1,266 patients in hospitals who are either positive or whose test results are pending throughout the state.

As the number of COVID-19 cases continues to rise throughout Virginia, the Virginia Hospital and Healthcare Association (VHHA) is also keeping track of the state’s hospital bed and ventilator availability.
    Thank you - very interesting. Hopefully all of those ventilators aren't necessary but good that they seem prepared and on top of everything.

Not to nit pick, but in the post above you wrote that 4,957 people have been hospitalized, but then you wrote that 6,284 have been discharged. I assume I am misunderstanding the terminology?

Thanks again.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Thank you - very interesting. Hopefully all of those ventilators aren't necessary but good that they seem prepared and on top of everything.

Not to nit pick, but in the post above you wrote that 4,957 people have been hospitalized, but then you wrote that 6,284 have been discharged. I assume I am misunderstanding the terminology?

Thanks again.
    I believe the 4,957 people hospitalized are currently hospitalized. The 6,284 people discharged I believe have been discharged since the beginning of the pandemic in Virginia. At least, that is how I am interpreting it.

I believe the 4,957 people hospitalized are currently hospitalized. The 6,284 people discharged I believe have been discharged since the beginning of the pandemic in Virginia. At least, that is how I am interpreting it.
    But you wrote that there are currently 1,266 patients currently hospitalized? Again - not nitpicking - I really appreciate the info. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    Well, my friend on Ocracoke says all's fine and dandy there, until they get their first case. Ocracoke has been practicing social distancing longer than Duke Football, but they also are reliant on one grocery store, one gas station, etc. If one person gets the virus, it could get very nasty very quickly.