Page 281 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 181231271279280281282283291331381781 ... LastLast
Results 5,601 to 5,620 of 22195
    Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Front page of tomorrow's NY Times - names, ages and brief bios of those who have died. Very moving. And maybe I need to get over it, but this furthers my anger towards all of those who think this isn't a big deal...
    Another perspective (as of yesterday)...

Photo May 24, 9 28 39 AM.jpg
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Not to wade into uneccessary political waters, but I am wholly curious how the primary might have played out differently in the middle of this crisis.
    Fascinating question! Zoom debates and a whole lot more fights about how to vote, for sure. My gut says people would still have voted the same way, but who knows what turnout would have done? Also, how would they have held caucuses?

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Fascinating question! Zoom debates and a whole lot more fights about how to vote, for sure. My gut says people would still have voted the same way, but who knows what turnout would have done? Also, how would they have held caucuses?
    I just meant that some platforms might have gotten more traction. Bernie's worker rights? Yang's UBI? Healthcare debates?

All those things look different from this side of the COVID-19 looking glass.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Many countries have adopted guidelines that actually pay people to stay home when they are sick. I believe both S. Korea and Taiwan did this. I'm not talking about unemployment insurance, but a real living wage for the 2 weeks you are under quarantine. It is one of the recommendations that was made by the bi-partisan panel that recommended a phased approach to opening our economy (with red, yellow, and green areas of the country).

Sadly, that plan was rejected by the White House.
    I do not think this is 100% accurate. Or at least it seems to imply that no action along these lines has been taken.

The eFMLA & PSLA laws passed immediately after COVID-19 require full wages for 10 days and then reduced wages thereafter for all employees of companies employing < 500 people.

Most > 500 employee employers already offer sick leave (as do most employers of any size) but this was the bipartisan reason at the time for leaving them out of the law.

People want haircuts and are prizing reservations upon planned reopening days. This person probably did not think she had covid-19 and simply wanted to keep her customers happy.

The sense of individual exceptionalism ("it's not going to happen to me") is still very strong in communities like mine where incidence of the virus is still extremely low and largely confined to nursing homes and food processing plants.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Yeah, see, that attitude has to change. You go to work sick with this virus, you kill people. You might be killing a family's only breadwinner. There are way more people whose family's can't afford for them to die than people who must work sick. We must debunk the economic myth that it is noble or necessary for people to go to work when they have a potentially deadly infectious disease.
    In general I think the attitude that you stay home when sick ought to be or become the norm for most employers. Not just in the context of COVID-19, but any virus / flu / what-have-you.

Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    In general I think the attitude that you stay home when sick ought to be or become the norm for most employers. Not just in the context of COVID-19, but any virus / flu / what-have-you.
    As my HS principlal said eons ago: "We don't give awards for perfect attendance. If you are sick, we want you to stay home."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    As my HS principlal said eons ago: "We don't give awards for perfect attendance. If you are sick, we want you to stay home."
    Really? Every level of schooling I’ve been to except college not only gave awards for perfect attendance but sometime prizes.

Working while sick is a badge of honor for many Americans. It’s ingrained into our work culture. It will be hard to break that habit.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by mpj96 View Post
    Indeed.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Really? Every level of schooling I’ve been to except college not only gave awards for perfect attendance but sometime prizes.

Working while sick is a badge of honor for many Americans. It’s ingrained into our work culture. It will be hard to break that habit.
    I don't think pooling of all time off that many companies have done helps send the message of take time off for sickness.

Any Ozark fans out there? I mean, really, what is there left to say...

https://twitter.com/b1tmcgraw/status...855200768?s=21
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

I used to be like that, push through it. About 10 years ago I decided that there was no reason to push so hard. I also didn't appreciate it when my colleagues would come in coughing, sneezing, spreading their diseases so I decided that it was not only better for me if I stayed home, but it was being more considerate of my friends and colleagues. I decided to show my macho in other ways like bringing in ginormous brownies.

4000 people gathered at Ace Speedway in Alamance County, NC on May 23, 2020. CDC and state guidelines ignored by the crowd. Contact tracing was a do it yourself yellow legal pad that was also mainly ignored.
    There should be a case study about this in the future. We will find something out one way or another in a few weeks.

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/wa...3a40e9.html#24

4000 people gathered at Ace Speedway in Alamance County, NC on May 23, 2020. CDC and state guidelines ignored by the crowd. Contact tracing was a do it yourself yellow legal pad that was also mainly ignored.
    There should be a case study about this in the future. We will find something out one way or another in a few weeks.

https://www.journalnow.com/sports/wa...3a40e9.html#24
    Wow! That's even more amazing than some of the long stretches of sand at or just above sea level at some downeastern location in NC this weekend, too. I'm going to start looking at NC # of cases from about June 7-30.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

My high school gave +2 points to every 9 weeks of perfect attendance. (9 weeks was the quarterly report card). I can't tell you how mad I was when I got the chicken pox and couldn't attend. I even chewed out the principal that I wouldn't get my 102 and little Suzie what's her name would and just because she had the chicken pox in grade school and I caught it as a sophomore, she'd get to be valedictorian. I tell you, I was a little *@$#^ back in the day. The principal told me how that 2 points discouraged truancy. I let it fly at that point that the kids skipping school didn't give two rat's bottoms about their grades and certainly didn't care about +2 points from perfect attendance.

I agree with most, this isn't a political thing, it's a cultural thing. American workers work. That's what we do. That's why we are great. It also helps that we are blessed with a land full of natural resources, a diverse and welcoming climate, natural isolation and the only country whose economy survived the last great war intact...but mainly its because we work unless we are on our death bed.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    My high school gave +2 points to every 9 weeks of perfect attendance. (9 weeks was the quarterly report card). I can't tell you how mad I was when I got the chicken pox and couldn't attend. I even chewed out the principal that I wouldn't get my 102 and little Suzie what's her name would and just because she had the chicken pox in grade school and I caught it as a sophomore, she'd get to be valedictorian. I tell you, I was a little *@$#^ back in the day. The principal told me how that 2 points discouraged truancy. I let it fly at that point that the kids skipping school didn't give two rat's bottoms about their grades and certainly didn't care about +2 points from perfect attendance.

I agree with most, this isn't a political thing, it's a cultural thing. American workers work. That's what we do. That's why we are great. It also helps that we are blessed with a land full of natural resources, a diverse and welcoming climate, natural isolation and the only country whose economy survived the last great war intact...but mainly its because we work unless we are on our death bed.
    Perhaps you two grew up in a healthier part of the country than coastal South Carolina.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Perhaps you two grew up in a healthier part of the country than coastal South Carolina.
    No. I actually grew up (and still live) in coastal SC. Daycare through High School then Duke.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    As someone who was sick way too much as a kid (and nearly died at age 7 from pneumonia, seriously, my mother was told not to leave the hospital as the doctor treating me told her that he did not expect me to live through the night), I can tell you that perfect attendance awards were for the poor kids of smug moms who wanted to brag about their kids "never missing school", they were often the kind who themselves bragged about "never being sick a day in their life". My reaction is now and kinda always has been, you wankers have been trying to kill me most of my life. You almost succeeded. You have been sick in your life, you chose to ignore it, and you put your own needs/accomplishments/bragging rights ahead of the needs of others, you must be stopped.

Luckily - my schools did not give out perfect attendance awards - but my Sunday School did.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I decided to show my macho in other ways like bringing in ginormous brownies.
    Do you make the really chewy type of brownies? If so, I would instantly be your friend at the workplace.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Do you make the really chewy type of brownies? If so, I would instantly be your friend at the workplace.��
    Hell to the yes on this.

Quote Originally Posted by Steven43 View Post
    Do you make the really chewy type of brownies? If so, I would instantly be your friend at the workplace.
    Brownies gotta be chewy. If not, they are just flat pieces of cake.