Page 2 of 520 FirstFirst 12341252102502 ... LastLast
Results 21 to 40 of 10385
  1. #21
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    So, question to the group: in the event that there was some sort of World War Z or TWD scenario, would you want to die in the first wave or fight to survive for a long time in terrifying circumstances? Some trusted advisers of mine have started to bring me over to the “die immediately” caucus versus the be like Rick Grimes club.
    I would fight to stay alive as long as my loved ones wanted to fight with me. If they are all gone. I'm joining them.

  2. #22
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    So, question to the group: in the event that there was some sort of World War Z or TWD scenario, would you want to die in the first wave or fight to survive for a long time in terrifying circumstances? Some trusted advisers of mine have started to bring me over to the “die immediately” caucus versus the be like Rick Grimes club.
    Fight to survive. Those guys are making it harder than it has to be because they're trying to find civilization/a cure/whatnot. Screw that. Wander through the woods/forests, live off the land. Don't worry about finding other people, avoid them if you accidentally do find them.

    Heck, I'm half tempted to just go ahead and get a head start.

  3. #23
    Join Date
    Dec 2016
    Location
    Las Vegas, Nevada (Ohio born and raised)
    Quote Originally Posted by Acymetric View Post
    Fight to survive. Those guys are making it harder than it has to be because they're trying to find civilization/a cure/whatnot. Screw that. Wander through the woods/forests, live off the land. Don't worry about finding other people, avoid them if you accidentally do find them.

    Heck, I'm half tempted to just go ahead and get a head start.
    Or just find a small island and kill all the infected people, if any, on said island. As you as you never leave, I assume you could live there your entire life worry free.

  4. #24
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Location
    New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    It's coming right for us!!!!
    Might be a case at Duke.
    The state says the person recently traveled to China and passed through Wuhan City, where the outbreak originated.

    The person arrived at RDU on Thursday and had mild respiratory symptoms. They are in good condition and in isolation at Duke University Hospital.
    https://www.witn.com/content/news/Po...567271131.html
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

  5. #25
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It's coming right for us!!!!
    Might be a case at Duke.

    https://www.witn.com/content/news/Po...567271131.html
    This escalated quickly.

  6. #26
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It's coming right for us!!!!
    Might be a case at Duke.

    https://www.witn.com/content/news/Po...567271131.html
    And one of the Infectious Disease specialists I chatted with today at the hospital couldn't stop laughing at me when I asked about building a bomb shelter with an operating room like air filtration system and a couple years of rations...
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  7. #27
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    Undisclosed
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    And one of the Infectious Disease specialists I chatted with today at the hospital couldn't stop laughing at me when I asked about building a bomb shelter with an operating room like air filtration system and a couple years of rations...
    She or he probably knows what your year’s worth of ymm, beer rations might be and realized that the power requirements would crash the grid.

  8. #28
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    She or he probably knows what your year’s worth of ymm, beer rations might be and realized that the power requirements would crash the grid.
    Probably correct there-thinking several 25 cubic feet fridges needed for those supplies.

    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  9. #29
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Location
    Just down the road :(
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Yes, but those outbreaks took place before the deep funding cuts to the branch of the CDC that deals with such things
    My understanding of the appropriated funding is different. Below are data from the CDC section of a US Global Health Security Funding table from a Kaiser Family Foundation global health policy article.
    2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Requested
    CDC Global Health Protection (in millions) $47.5 $61.9 $51.2 $55.6 $54.3 $62.6 $652.1 $55.2 $58.2 $108.2 $108.2 $149.8

    While $149.8 is listed in this chart as a request for FY2020, Congressional appropriations for CDC Global Health Protection ended up at $183.2 ($123.4 of which was designated specifically for CDC "Global Health Security").

    With regard to funding "cuts," I think you are probably referring to the FY2019 ending of the one-time emergency fund Congress approved in 2015 in response to the Ebola epidemic (reflected in chart above). At the end of that fund, left-over money was transferred into a new Infectious Diseases Rapid Response Reserve Fund which is not reflected in the above chart.

    So, while it is true that the CDC has less Global Health Protection funding that it did when the Ebola emergency funds were available, funding has not been cut from the time of SARS and MERS.
    Last edited by bedeviled; 01-24-2020 at 11:26 PM.

  10. #30
    So, the official number of ~1300 cases is very likely to be wrong. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this thread following Chinese social media (if just through an English translator), and they paint an awful picture of the situation in China, with packed hospitals, doctors contracting the disease, dead bodies in the hallways of hospitals with no personnel available to remove them, no medical supplies being sent, Chinese doctors estimating the number of infected to be >100,000, etc.

    I would love to share this stuff with you guys but need a ruling from the moderators on rumor-mongering. Personally, I would say for this type of thread, rumors are a good thing that add value. Put it out there and let everyone who reads it apply their own level of skepticism towards it. What I'm picturing in my head is that we crowd-source among us the credibility of rumors and unofficial sources. That means that even though I would participate in "rumor mongering" (posting unofficial sources [but when the official sources are so unreliable...]), I might turn around and whack any rumor from another poster that I deem to not be credible.

  11. #31
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    So, the official number of ~1300 cases is very likely to be wrong. I'm sure I'm not the only one in this thread following Chinese social media (if just through an English translator), and they paint an awful picture of the situation in China, with packed hospitals, doctors contracting the disease, dead bodies in the hallways of hospitals with no personnel available to remove them, no medical supplies being sent, Chinese doctors estimating the number of infected to be >100,000, etc.

    I would love to share this stuff with you guys but need a ruling from the moderators on rumor-mongering. Personally, I would say for this type of thread, rumors are a good thing that add value. Put it out there and let everyone who reads it apply their own level of skepticism towards it. What I'm picturing in my head is that we crowd-source among us the credibility of rumors and unofficial sources. That means that even though I would participate in "rumor mongering" (posting unofficial sources [but when the official sources are so unreliable...]), I might turn around and whack any rumor from another poster that I deem to not be credible.
    I had assumed the official reports coming out of China were low-balled because, well, China. I would assume any social media reports are overblown because, well, social media. So, maybe somewhere in between? Wouldn't any Chinese citizens contradicting the official estimates run the risk of crossing Chinese authorities who have some of the most sophisticated citizen internet monitoring in the world?

    All very interesting.

  12. #32
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Norfolk, VA
    Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled View Post

    So, while it is true that the CDC has less Global Health Protection funding that it did when the Ebola emergency funds were available, funding has not been cut from the time of SARS and MERS.
    Thanks for providing funding numbers to the discussion.
    Bob Green
    DBR Survivor Football Champion
    2010 & 2016

  13. #33
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by bedeviled View Post
    My understanding of the appropriated funding is different. Below are data from the CDC section of a US Global Health Security Funding table from a Kaiser Family Foundation global health policy article.
    2009 2010 2011 2012 2013 2014 2015 2016 2017 2018 2019 2020 Requested
    CDC Global Health Protection (in millions) $47.5 $61.9 $51.2 $55.6 $54.3 $62.6 $652.1 $55.2 $58.2 $108.2 $108.2 $149.8

    While $149.8 is listed in this chart as a request for FY2020, Congressional appropriations for CDC Global Health Protection ended up at $183.2 ($123.4 of which was designated specifically for CDC "Global Health Security").

    With regard to funding "cuts," I think you are probably referring to the FY2019 ending of the one-time emergency fund Congress approved in 2015 in response to the Ebola epidemic (reflected in chart above). At the end of that fund, left-over money was transferred into a new Infectious Diseases Rapid Response Reserve Fund which is not reflected in the above chart.

    So, while it is true that the CDC has less Global Health Protection funding that it did when the Ebola emergency funds were available, funding has not been cut from the time of SARS and MERS.
    I guess if folks are interested in CDC budget line items versus the "die immediately or die slowly during the zombie apocalypse" question, then they'd do best to skim through the CDC operating budgets. It should be noted that, even though Presidents' names get tacked on to final budgets, they're not responsible for them. Trump's budget requests to Congress have for each year of his administration proposed deep cuts to most agencies (excluding defense and a few others). This year, I believe, the administration proposed a 10% cut to the CDC's budget. In many cases, Congress has essentially ignored Trump's proposals and funded various agencies consistent with recent history --- they have enacted cuts elsewhere but not to the level requested by the administration.

    This angle gonna get us all in trouble...

  14. #34
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Chesapeake, VA.
    Early reports out of China definitely underestimated the numbers.

    I read an article at CNN today that was written by a reporter who covered SARS 17 years ago. She guesses that this one will turn out include higher numbers of infections than SARS. It's an interesting read.

    Still not ready for the bomb shelter, but too early to say where this thing is going.

  15. #35
    WRAL reporting a potential case identified at RDU, patient in isolation at Duke Med.

  16. #36
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Raleigh
    Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    It's coming right for us!!!!
    Might be a case at Duke.

    https://www.witn.com/content/news/Po...567271131.html
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    And one of the Infectious Disease specialists I chatted with today at the hospital couldn't stop laughing at me when I asked about building a bomb shelter with an operating room like air filtration system and a couple years of rations...
    Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    She or he probably knows what your year’s worth of ymm, beer rations might be and realized that the power requirements would crash the grid.
    Quote Originally Posted by fuse View Post
    WRAL reporting a potential case identified at RDU, patient in isolation at Duke Med.
    That settles it. I'm headed to Total Wine and/or Bottle Revolution later today and/or tomorrow, credit limit be damned...

    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

  17. #37
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    US arranging to evacuate diplomats via charter flights from Wuhan province.

    https://www.cnn.com/2020/01/25/polit...ina/index.html

  18. #38
    Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    And one of the Infectious Disease specialists I chatted with today at the hospital couldn't stop laughing at me when I asked about building a bomb shelter with an operating room like air filtration system and a couple years of rations...
    Costco sells that stuff in bulk...and I’m not kidding.

  19. #39
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Princeton, NJ
    Useful dashboard from JHU

  20. #40
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Outside Philly
    Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Useful dashboard from JHU
    That already looks scary but they’re probably going to need some bigger bubbles before this is all over.

Similar Threads

  1. Lacrosse: The 2020 Season
    By burnspbesq in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 215
    Last Post: 04-14-2020, 11:13 PM
  2. 2020 Final Four
    By szstark in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 03-09-2020, 11:00 AM
  3. MLB 2020 HOF Election
    By Blue in the Face in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 01-24-2020, 11:28 AM
  4. FB: 2020 Schedule is out
    By nocilla in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 31
    Last Post: 01-22-2020, 06:08 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •