Page 146 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 4696136144145146147148156196246646 ... LastLast
Results 2,901 to 2,920 of 22195
    Quote Originally Posted by AustinDevil View Post
    Yep. For those paying real attention, it is entirely, easily believable that he is the one requiring protection.
    This is true. <seething, muttering through clinched teeth>

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    For clarity, it’s the ultra-Orthodox community (Hasidim, etc.) where this continues to be an issue. Very different from the Orthodox (or modern Orthodox) community.

Israel is also facing real challenges with the ultra-Orthodox community in fighting the COVID-19 spread.
    A week or two ago I saw on the local news here in NY an ultra-orthodox rabbi in Brooklyn saying that they were invoking pirkei nefesh and telling people not to show up for shabbat. Pirkei nefesh is the Jewish law that the preservation of life overrides every other Jewish law - for instance, religious Jews aren't supposed to ride in cars on the Sabbath, but to get a dying person to the hospital, they are allowed to. But I guess there are many different types of ultra-orthodox who each see things a little differently.

I am horrified that people are even thinking of going after Fauci. Not to get political, but it would be nice if Trump said something nice about him to help him out. Unfortunately, I think Trump holds the type of power over a large segment of the country where a kind word from Trump would make a big difference.

The US added over 26,000 cases yesterday and over 1,000 deaths.

Over 200,000 confirmed cases

Thoughts and prayers to anyone medical pros and their families.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    When Fauci, standing behind the President was visibly skeptical of what Trump was saying, fringe groups dug up a video where he said something nice either about or to Hillary Clinton when she was Secretary of State. Then they fomented the story that Anthony Fauci was part of a "deep state" conspiracy to bring down Trump.

I could say a lot more, but I won't...
    This is what happens when we give crazies (not the good kind) platforms to coalesce and disseminate.

History will mark the beginning of this millennia to when democracy turned into idiocracy.

Well, we're about to get the update on the economic disaster this is causing. Estimates seem to agree on 4-5M unemployment claims with upper estimates as high as 9M.

Both the organizations my wife and I work for (non-profit and, recently, public sector) have started to lay people off out of necessity. They're doing the best they can to connect people to unemployment benefits but it's turning into a cash flow issue real quick. There are ways to access capital out there. My wife's non-profit relies entirely on donations, grants, and the like and all their major spring fundraising events were obviously wiped out so they're doing their best to get virtual campaigns up and running. But, in lean times, people understandably don't and can't give quite as much. A couple family members who own and operate small businesses are almost certainly going to have to tap into the CARES Act loans.

Ugly, ugly, ugly.

EDIT: 6.6 MILLION claims filed.

Local unexpected consequence is being addressed (and seemingly this could apply nationwide, if true): many relatively unskilled workers in nursing homes are poorly paid, and it turns out that many of them (due to the stimulus package) can make more on unemployment than they're making in the risky nursing home environment...I know, there have been many BS tales in the past about people making more on unemployment than working, but this time it's evidently true (also for other occupations):

https://vtdigger.org/2020/04/01/paid...-consequences/

The law of unintended consequences kicks in...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Local unexpected consequence is being addressed (and seemingly this could apply nationwide, if true): many relatively unskilled workers in nursing homes are poorly paid, and it turns out that many of them (due to the stimulus package) can make more on unemployment than they're making in the risky nursing home environment...I know, there have been many BS tales in the past about people making more on unemployment than working, but this time it's evidently true (also for other occupations):

My recollection is that this consequence was neither unanticipated nor unintended. Without looking up the news stories, I'm pretty sure that when the legislation was approaching approval in the Senate, three or four Senators, including Lindsay Graham and Rick Scott as I recall, objected to this very provision for the reason that adding $600 per week to regular unemployment benefits would increase some people's compensation above their normal salary, thus creating an incentive for those people to quit working. I also remember that some Democrat leaders responded that there was nothing wrong with increasing the wages of those workers, indicating that this result was, at least from their perspective, both anticipated and intended.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Well, we're about to get the update on the economic disaster this is causing. Estimates seem to agree on 4-5M unemployment claims with upper estimates as high as 9M.

Both the organizations my wife and I work for (non-profit and, recently, public sector) have started to lay people off out of necessity. They're doing the best they can to connect people to unemployment benefits but it's turning into a cash flow issue real quick. There are ways to access capital out there. My wife's non-profit relies entirely on donations, grants, and the like and all their major spring fundraising events were obviously wiped out so they're doing their best to get virtual campaigns up and running. But, in lean times, people understandably don't and can't give quite as much. A couple family members who own and operate small businesses are almost certainly going to have to tap into the CARES Act loans.

Ugly, ugly, ugly.

Yeah, been investigating the PPP provision of CARES for my employees who were laid off two weeks ago. There's quite a bit of resources out there, but it is difficult to navigate the information.

Florida

I keep thinking that the Florida governor's non response is either part of a new Tim Dorsey book, or perhaps an extended April Fool's gag, but there are indications that neither is true.
    An enterprising soul has written a first draft of Florida's eventual apology to our nation (and perhaps the world). Made me laugh, which I needed: https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/2...est-of-country

Here is an interesting look at Americans’ aggregated travel patterns over time, based on an analysis of cellphone location data:

https://www.nytimes.com/interactive/...istancing.html

Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Here is an interesting look at Americans’ aggregated travel patterns over time, based on an analysis of cellphone location data:

Makes Durham, Wake, and Orange counties look pretty good. Knock on wood.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    An enterprising soul has written a first draft of Florida's eventual apology to our nation (and perhaps the world). Made me laugh, which I needed: https://www.palmbeachpost.com/news/2...est-of-country
    both funny and not funny since so much of it is true...good grief...

True

The stuff at the end of the piece was really scary, about the pastors. Maybe we need a separate coronavirus insanity thread? Here's a story about some train engineer who derailed a train because of a coronavirus conspiracy theory about a hospital ship. https://www.washingtonpost.com/natio...y-coronavirus/

Yeah, I was going to say the same thing... sorta funny until you think about the fact that thousands of people believe this bull-hookey and that makes the world a much less safe place for the rest of us.

I truly wonder if these pastors believe what they are saying or if they are just so desperate for more more more money that they cannot stand having their flock not make donations for a week.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Looks a lot like a political map to me...

As a New Yorker, this continues to be my hope - that the fact that people here have been largely following the rules for over two weeks now will hopefully slow the rapid spread here. I went to the park yesterday to enjoy the nice weather after a few days of bad weather - there were quite a few people out, but all at very safe distances. On the way there people were literally crossing the street or walking in the middle of the street to stay away from each other.

A neighbor just left NYC for a family vacation house in a very rural part of Canada (they are dual citizens so had no problem crossing the border). As the subject of a quarantine since they are coming from New York, they had to register their destination address and allegedly the police will be checking on them. If they leave the property, they are subject to large fines and jail time.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    My recollection is that this consequence was neither unanticipated nor unintended. Without looking up the news stories, I'm pretty sure that when the legislation was approaching approval in the Senate, three or four Senators, including Lindsay Graham and Rick Scott as I recall, objected to this very provision for the reason that adding $600 per week to regular unemployment benefits would increase some people's compensation above their normal salary, thus creating an incentive for those people to quit working. I also remember that some Democrat leaders responded that there was nothing wrong with increasing the wages of those workers, indicating that this result was, at least from their perspective, both anticipated and intended.
    Speaking as someone who was on unemployment two years ago in NC: At the time, it was a maximum of $350 per week for a maximum of 12 weeks per year. That's it. For me, it was almost not worth bothering. Now, $950 a week for 22 weeks would have been nice. When I went in for my 6-week "check-in", to show them my records of submitting at least 5 new applications every week, I was told that NC had a huge surplus of unemployment funds and that the powersthatbe had continually refused to increase the amounts and extend the time period. I guess, now, they are glad they did b/c I imagine that surplus is going to disappear quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    Yep to both. However, I believe it's basically universal that one cannot get unemployment benefits if they quit. You have to be fired. So, unless the organization is willing to do a "fake firing," those individuals cannot choose to leave work and get paid more. Lindsey Graham definitely brought this up as something he did not like and distorted economic incentives for some individuals.

I have been working for a few days and wanted to bring back this idea about cell phones helping us to avoid active cases. The kids at Duke will save us...

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/app...ents/19038147/

Also regarding testing cases per capita, I prepared numbers on Monday Mar 30 for a meeting based on this website, which seems to have the most data, including tests done in each state.
    https://coronavirus.1point3acres.com/en

As of Monday , US was a claimed testing rate of 2863/million, with S Korea at 7745/million, and Iceland at 50,000/million ( adjusted as Iceland population only 330k)
    https://www.covid.is/data
    By state NY 9585/million, Wash 8596/million NC 1989/million, SC 987/million. Obviously these numbers are always moving and data on that site will be up to date. Sorry I couldn't point to that during that phase of the conversation.

Again, thinking of everyone here. All the stories and concerns have been helpful to humanize this outbreak. I wish everyone had a reasonable place to air their concerns, like this site has been.

Quote Originally Posted by FUBARDoorBuster View Post
    I have been working for a few days and wanted to bring back this idea about cell phones helping us to avoid active cases. The kids at Duke will save us...

https://www.wral.com/coronavirus/app...ents/19038147/
    Faculty, too. https://sites.duke.edu/covidentify/

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post

Ugly, ugly, ugly.

I hope they are moving quickly. The info I saw circulated yesterday said that the loans are going to be first come, first served. I believe applications can be submitted tomorrow. I am telling anyone who asks me to submit literally as soon as possible.