Page 14 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 4121314151624641145141014 ... LastLast
    Still not that concerned.

Here's what we know about coronaviruses in general, which have been circulating in the United States for decades.

1) Unlike influenza, coronaviruses are spread in "large droplets," rather than "droplet nuclei." Large droplets are heavy enough that when expelled (for example by coughing or sneezing) they fall within six feet. I think it is unlikely that a virus that spreads in this fashion could ever infect as large a proportion of the U.S. population as influenza does (about 15% each year).
    2) Coronaviruses are enveloped viruses. Without the envelope they are not contagious. This means that their ability to survive outside the host is time limited, as they become dessicated over time. It also means that the virus is easy to inactivate with cleaning solutions/solvents, etc., which disrupt the virus envelope. By way of contrast, rhinovirus (one of the most common causes of common cold) is non-enveloped, can survive for days outside the host, and is more difficult to inactivate on inanimate objects.

So, if this thing starts to spread, it will spread like parainfluenza, RSV, or a rhinovirus, not like influenza virus or measles virus (both of the latter are spread in droplet nuclei). Transmission of paraflu, RSV, rhino, and likely the novel coronavirus is often via the hands touching the nose, mouth, or eyes, rather than by inhaling the air (obviously it can be contracted by breathing, but one would have to be in the very near vicinity of an infected person when said person coughs or sneezes). It is more likely that it would be contracted because people blow their noses or sneeze or cough into their hands, and then don't sanitize or wash their hands. They then touch something, like a table or a door handle, and the next person who touches the door handle (for example) gets the virus on their hands and then inoculates themselves by rubbing or touching their eyes or their nose. An effective way to spread, yes, but not nearly as effective as what influenza and measles do.

Masks are likely to be somewhat helpful, but viruses can get through dust masks and surgical masks, and they can get AROUND N95 masks. In the hospital setting, personnel are "fit tested" for N95 masks. They come in multiple different designs, some of which work with some faces and some of which work for others. Personally, I had to try 4 masks before I found one that actually created the proper "air seal" to make it effective. So if you are buying N95 masks off the internet, they may or may not fit you, which means they may or may not be protective. Just FYI.

In my opinion, a better way to protect oneself would be to do the following:

1) Avoid places with lots of people
    2) Avoid people who are sick
    3) Wash your hands or Purell frequently
    4) Keep your hands away from your face as much as you possibly can (this is difficult, as most people touch their faces many times an hour and are not even aware that they are doing it; it requires conscious awareness to do this, but it is possible if you put your mind to it)

People who are sick with respiratory viruses (coronavirus or otherwise), should do the following:
    1) Cough into the crook of the elbow, not into the hands
    2) Purell or wash your hands immediately after blowing your nose
    3) Use separate hand towels or use paper towels (in other words, don't use communal or shared hand towels)
    4) use Clorox wipes to wipe down door handles frequently
    5) If you use a TV remote or your phone, you should be the only one using it until you are well. Same goes for computers. Keep your hands to yourself, keep your devices to yourself, keep your mucus to yourself

In short, I don't think this is going to be at all like the 1918 flu pandemic, even if it begins to spread throughout the U.S., because it will spread like a common cold. It will obviously be much more severe than a common cold, especially in those with risk factors, but it won't/can't learn to spread like flu, so I don't see any way it could possibly infect 15-20% of the U.S. population. The vast majority of people infected will survive. I suspect the true mortality rate in the US will be closer to 0.5% than 2%, even it does become fairly widespread.

So, not buying masks, not taking home an N95 from work, not hoarding food, not panicking. I'll let y'all know if that changes.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

Here's what we know about coronaviruses in general, which have been circulating in the United States for decades.

1) Unlike influenza, coronaviruses are spread in "large droplets," rather than "droplet nuclei." Large droplets are heavy enough that when expelled (for example by coughing or sneezing) they fall within six feet. I think it is unlikely that a virus that spreads in this fashion could ever infect as large a proportion of the U.S. population as influenza does (about 15% each year).
    2) Coronaviruses are enveloped viruses. Without the envelope they are not contagious. This means that their ability to survive outside the host is time limited, as they become dessicated over time. It also means that the virus is easy to inactivate with cleaning solutions/solvents, etc., which disrupt the virus envelope. By way of contrast, rhinovirus (one of the most common causes of common cold) is non-enveloped, can survive for days outside the host, and is more difficult to inactivate on inanimate objects.

So, if this thing starts to spread, it will spread like parainfluenza, RSV, or a rhinovirus, not like influenza virus or measles virus (both of the latter are spread in droplet nuclei). Transmission of paraflu, RSV, rhino, and likely the novel coronavirus is often via the hands touching the nose, mouth, or eyes, rather than by inhaling the air (obviously it can be contracted by breathing, but one would have to be in the very near vicinity of an infected person when said person coughs or sneezes). It is more likely that it would be contracted because people blow their noses or sneeze or cough into their hands, and then don't sanitize or wash their hands. They then touch something, like a table or a door handle, and the next person who touches the door handle (for example) gets the virus on their hands and then inoculates themselves by rubbing or touching their eyes or their nose. An effective way to spread, yes, but not nearly as effective as what influenza and measles do.

Masks are likely to be somewhat helpful, but viruses can get through dust masks and surgical masks, and they can get AROUND N95 masks. In the hospital setting, personnel are "fit tested" for N95 masks. They come in multiple different designs, some of which work with some faces and some of which work for others. Personally, I had to try 4 masks before I found one that actually created the proper "air seal" to make it effective. So if you are buying N95 masks off the internet, they may or may not fit you, which means they may or may not be protective. Just FYI.

4) Keep your hands away from your face as much as you possibly can (this is difficult, as most people touch their faces many times an hour and are not even aware that they are doing it; it requires conscious awareness to do this, but it is possible if you put your mind to it)

People who are sick with respiratory viruses (coronavirus or otherwise), should do the following:
    3) Use separate hand towels or use paper towels (in other words, don't use communal or shared hand towels)
    5) If you use a TV remote or your phone, you should be the only one using it until you are well. Same goes for computers. Keep your hands to yourself, keep your devices to yourself, keep your mucus to yourself

In short, I don't think this is going to be at all like the 1918 flu pandemic, even if it begins to spread throughout the U.S., because it will spread like a common cold. It will obviously be much more severe than a common cold, especially in those with risk factors, but it won't/can't learn to spread like flu, so I don't see any way it could possibly infect 15-20% of the U.S. population. The vast majority of people infected will survive. I suspect the true mortality rate in the US will be closer to 0.5% than 2%, even it does become fairly widespread.

So, not buying masks, not taking home an N95 from work, not hoarding food, not panicking. I'll let y'all know if that changes.
    Thank you for a rational evaluation. The over-the-top reactions and opinions seem, well, over-the-top.

Great information.... But really put a damper on some of the hysteria in this thread. You party pooper.

Thanks -- how does this reconcile with the Harvard guy who said 40-70% of global population will likely be infected? Do you think he's just wrong? thanks again

For beard and stubble (me) dudes...

https://nypost.com/2020/02/26/cdc-wa...s-spreads/amp/

I had no idea there were so many styles of mustache and beard that had earned their own unique name.

904CDE8C-F685-4391-AAF5-A5FAD25AE031.jpg
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Thank you for a rational evaluation. The over-the-top reactions and opinions seem, well, over-the-top.
    I also thank rsvman for this contributions. Great to have an expert on respiratory virus contributing! But I do not take as much comfort from his comment that he cannot see this hitting the level of Spanish Flu. A repeat of 1918 would obviously be catastrophic, but there are still levels of vary bad below “1918 flu pandemic”. Consider the comment that rsvman cannot see infection levels of 15%-20%. Would 5% be possible? If so, that would mean a lot of fatalities. Assuming a population of 327mm, 5% infection rate and 0.5% mortality rate, isn’t that 81,750 dead in the US?*

*Warning: lawyer doing math.
    Carolina delenda est

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    Thanks -- how does this reconcile with the Harvard guy who said 40-70% of global population will likely be infected? Do you think he's just wrong? thanks again
    Personally, i think he's wrong. If he knew what i said, he would probably say I'm wrong.
    I don't know who you are talking about or what he does for a living, but I'm a Peds ID doc whose research was all in respiratory virus. I taught respiratory viruses at Duke medical school while I was there. I've lectured about respiratory viruses including flu and RSV in many states. I was hired by MedImmune not only to teach their speaker's bureau how to lecture from their slide deck, but I was also hired to help them make their slide deck. For goodness sake, I was hired by Glaxo to teach their regional medical scientists how zanamavir (their own anti-influenza medication) worked. I feel like i know a thing or two about respiratory viruses.

I could be wrong, but only if there is something about this coronavirus that they are hiding from us.
    Last edited by rsvman; 02-26-2020 at 05:30 PM. Reason: Typo

Personally, i think he's wrong. If he knew what i said, he would probably say I'm wrong.
    I don't know who you are talking about or what he does for a living, but I'm a Peds ID doc whose research was all in respiratory virus. I taught respiratory viruses at Duke medical school while I was there. I've lectured about respiratory viruses including flu and RSV in many states. I was hired by MedImmune not only to teach their speaker's bureau how to lecture from their slide deck, but I was also hired to help them make their slide deck. For goodness sake, I was hired by Glaxo to teach their regional medical scientists how zanamavir (their own anti-influenza medication) worked. I feel like i know a thing or two about respiratory viruses.

I could be wrong, but only if there is something about this coronavirus that they are hiding from us.
    Harvard epidemiology professor. Quoted extensively in this article, which is where I got the 40-70%.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...accine/607000/

Thanks -- how does this reconcile with the Harvard guy who said 40-70% of global population will likely be infected? Do you think he's just wrong?
    Well, there's always one guy:

professorpanic.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    For beard and stubble (me) dudes...

https://nypost.com/2020/02/26/cdc-wa...s-spreads/amp/

I had no idea there were so many styles of mustache and beard that had earned their own unique name.

904CDE8C-F685-4391-AAF5-A5FAD25AE031.jpg
    Are you suggesting the coronavirus is targeting hipsters?

Quote Originally Posted by brevity View Post
    Well, there's always one guy:

professorpanic.jpg
    I know it's a joke, but he actually said the opposite

Harvard epidemiology professor. Quoted extensively in this article, which is where I got the 40-70%.

https://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...accine/607000/
    Several mistakes and generalizations in the article. For one thing the author seems to think that coronaviruses and influenza viruses are very similar because they have negative-sense RNA genomes. That's nonsense. Ebola has a negative-sense RNA genome, too. Also the stuff about the bird flu is irrelevant. Bird flu uses a different receptor. The reason it didn't spread like crazy and kill millions of people is likely not because it was too lethal, but because it may have evolved back into use of the receptor that bird flu usually uses, which makes it hard for humans to become infected. So, in general, color me unimpressed with the article's grasp of the basic virology.

Furthermore, if the main premise is correct, that infection with the virus will spread widely because many people will be asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic, that's bad news for containment but isn't it largely good news? Because who cares if a virus spreads unless it makes people sick.
    So what he is suggesting is that the lethality is actually much, much lower than has been reported, which, all things considered, is good news, not bad.

As for it becoming an endemic virus, that's not necessarily bad, either, because it implies lower infection rates and lower mortality because of pre-existing immunity.

Several mistakes and generalizations in the article. For one thing the author seems to think that coronaviruses and influenza viruses are very similar because they have negative-sense RNA genomes. That's nonsense. Ebola has a negative-sense RNA genome, too. Also the stuff about the bird flu is irrelevant. Bird flu uses a different receptor. The reason it didn't spread like crazy and kill millions of people is likely not because it was too lethal, but because it may have evolved back into use of the receptor that bird flu usually uses, which makes it hard for humans to become infected. So, in general, color me unimpressed with the article's grasp of the basic virology.

Furthermore, if the main premise is correct, that infection with the virus will spread widely because many people will be asymptomatic or mildly symptomatic, that's bad news for containment but isn't it largely good news? Because who cares if a virus spreads unless it makes people sick.
    So what he is suggesting is that the lethality is actually much, much lower than has been reported, which, all things considered, is good news, not bad.

As for it becoming an endemic virus, that's not necessarily bad, either, because it implies lower infection rates and lower mortality because of pre-existing immunity.
    Thanks...makes sense.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    I also thank rsvman for this contributions. Great to have an expert on respiratory virus contributing! But I do not take as much comfort from his comment that he cannot see this hitting the level of Spanish Flu. A repeat of 1918 would obviously be catastrophic, but there are still levels of vary bad below “1918 flu pandemic”. Consider the comment that rsvman cannot see infection levels of 15%-20%. Would 5% be possible? If so, that would mean a lot of fatalities. Assuming a population of 327mm, 5% infection rate and 0.5% mortality rate, isn’t that 81,750 dead in the US?*

Five percent, i think, would be unlikely, but not impossible, particularly if the "season" lasts for a long time. Even if that happens, which I certainly hope doesn't, it would be equivalent to what influenza has been doing on a yearly basis for decades.

Five percent, i think, would be unlikely, but not impossible, particularly if the "season" lasts for a long time. Even if that happens, which I certainly hope doesn't, it would be equivalent to what influenza has been doing on a yearly basis for decades.
    Thank you for taking the time to contribute. I appreciate you sharing your expertise.

Speaking of flu, I am also worried about that. I learned about the Spanish Flu pandemic when doing an oral history project with my grandmother and great aunt. Their dad died when they were young, in 1918.

I asked, “WWI?”

“No, Dad died of Spanish Flu. Mom never really recovered so we did a lot to care for our younger brother.”

I think I was in college at the time. Yikes was I ignorant about the dangerous viruses running around out there.

a bunch of stuff
    Thank you! Very enlightening. I'd spork but apparently I need to spread the love around to others first.

Question: What do you make of the reports of asymptomatic transmission? I keep seeing that mentioned but I don't know if that's a big deal, or not true, or what.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post

As long as you give it 110% ...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    As long as you give it 110% ...
    Other way around. Lawyers bill at 110%, they don't give it!

I’m sure you know this, but obviously continue to contribute to this thread as things develop, if you could, please?

If wool were invented tomorrow, it would be the new super-fabric, much as if influenza were invented tomorrow, it would be the new pandemic threat. Your statistical comparisons to what most people think very little about each year is apt.