Page 132 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 3282122130131132133134142182232632 ... LastLast
Results 2,621 to 2,640 of 22200
    Quote Originally Posted by Crisker View Post
    The browser/grazer categorization is not a binary; it's a spectrum. Mule deer are perfectly capable of subsisting mostly on grasses and forbs, which can make them grazers. As preferred foods, however, they are browsers.

In this sense, DBR denizens are mostly browsers and not grazers.

There are some intensively grazed posts in this thread -- namely, anything to do with data or numbers -- so I'm just browsing (or is it grazing?) for on the ground information from anyone with first-hand or "anecdotal" information about what is happening out there in the wild.
    Deer can eat grass, but it is a seasonal thing, as grass is more readily available in Spring. Normally they subsist on leafy plants, twigs, acorns and the like.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    They can't find me. 😁

As proof, I was out there all-day and I'm scorched. From the sun, not beer. 😁
    You must not have had your phone with all that tracking software on it .

Hope you stayed well hydrated with some local beverages, you know, disease prevention and all that stuff.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Mrs. dd showed me this after she got a long, long Facebook forward from one of our friends describing some NYC-like horrors from a small unnamed Louisiana community hospital:

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/h...b-3f32be49d134
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    You must not have had your phone with all that tracking software on it .

Hope you stayed well hydrated with some local beverages, you know, disease prevention and all that stuff.
    Only take my work phone with me, with an international VPN. 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Deer can eat grass, but it is a seasonal thing, as grass is more readily available in Spring. Normally they subsist on leafy plants, twigs, acorns and the like.
    Feeding exclusively on leaves makes an animal a folivore, which is one rib of the herbivory umbrella.

I read a 60 page report on chronic wasting disease today. The proposed management strategies boiled down to this: cervid social distancing.

And THAT brings this side bar of the PlagueWatch thread full freaking circle!

Only take my work phone with me, with an international VPN. 😁
    Hate to bear bad tidings, but that won’t do it...

-jk

All deer species are browsers, not grazers. They rarely eat grass, if ever..lol
    No, they simply eat everthing in our garden, and push their way through our "deer-proof" fence

With over 500 deaths yesterday, COIVD-19 has become the third leading cause for death in America having passed accidents and now catching up to cancer and heart disease.

Let that sink in.

The flu is #8 with an average of 156 deaths a day.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    With over 500 deaths yesterday, COIVD-19 has become the third leading cause for death in America having passed accidents and now catching up to cancer and heart disease.

Let that sink in.

The flu is #8 with an average of 156 deaths a day.
    You mean to say, if yesterday's 500 deaths was the average deaths/day for a full year, COVID-19 would be the third leading cause for death in America.

We're on an ugly trajectory so let's hope it doesn't become sustained but I do fear that deaths are going to surpass suicide (~50K/year), Flu (60K/year), in fairly short order.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    You mean to say, if yesterday's 500 deaths was the average deaths/day for a full year, COVID-19 would be the third leading cause for death in America.

We're on an ugly trajectory so let's hope it doesn't become sustained but I do fear that deaths are going to surpass suicide (~50K/year), Flu (60K/year), in fairly short order.
    Something like that.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Mrs. dd showed me this after she got a long, long Facebook forward from one of our friends describing some NYC-like horrors from a small unnamed Louisiana community hospital:

https://www.wwltv.com/article/news/h...b-3f32be49d134
    Yes, New Orleans is getting hammered. One of their hospitals placed 38 patients on ventilators on the night of March 19. In North Louisiana, we are starting to see an uptick in the number of cases. As of yesterday, these are the numbers at the hospital at which I work: number of patients tested: 2200; number of patients negative: 1008; number whose results are pending: 1125; number of patients positive 67. Twenty nine of those positive are currently hospitalized, with 2 on ventilators. We have had 2 deaths in our community and both patients had significant comorbidities.

I'm not a fan of Boris Johnson and his relationship with the truth is tepid but even the UK is questioning the numbers out of China.

Boris Johnson's government is reportedly furious with China and believes it could have 40 times more coronavirus cases than it claims

This is a government that has been more friendly to China these last three years compared to the US. It's also the government that provided the report that scared the US administration into action.
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 03-29-2020 at 12:08 PM. Reason: Fixed link

All deer species are browsers, not grazers. They rarely eat grass, if ever..lol
    Simply not true: https://www.northamericanwhitetail.c...eer-eat/262416

For fifty years I've watched deer come out at dusk and munch on grass...maybe your deer are different...yes, they eat many other things, but saying "they rarely eat grass" is not correct.

I did find a bit of good news at healthweather.us, where they plot data from smart thermometers. The trend for number of reported fevers is going down sharply. This is a leading indicator or at least it doesn't trail infections by two weeks. The plot shows a sharp drop since about March 20. That should indicate that social distancing is having a real effect and hopefully that effect will be seen in the official Covid-19 number in a week or two.

Here is a plot of the fever trend through March 28. It changes from red (atypically high) to orange on about March 20 and continues sharply downward through the last report from Saturday.

healthweather-us-20200328.jpg

Public beaches maybe. But if you put a boat in on the Cape fear river at a place that runs through your buddy's farm, and then ride out to salt water to an island, no one knows. 🤫
    Sounds like you were on the outer reaches of Bald Head Island. I hope the redfish and sea trout were around.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

The following is a list of the ages of patients with COVID 19 in our ICU today:

61, 75, 49, 67, 45, 42, 61, 59, 59, 54, 47,60, 67, 68, 76, 62, 62, 63, 77.

Let that sink in.

This is not a disease of just the elderly.

Stay home.

Stay safe.

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    The following is a list of the ages of patients with COVID 19 in our ICU today:

61, 75, 49, 67, 45, 42, 61, 59, 59, 54, 47,60, 67, 68, 76, 62, 62, 63, 77.

Let that sink in.

This is not a disease of just the elderly.

Stay home.

Stay safe.
    I may have dreamed this last night, but did the NY mayor and one of the doctors he depends on, say that it was ok to take the subways and get out in public now?

GoDuke!

Today’s numbers in Virginia.

Cumulative: 890 positives/10,609 tests equals 8.3%.

Last 24 hour period: 151 positives/1,443 tests equals 10.4%.

Death toll is 22 with 112 people currently hospitalized.
    Bob Green

Knicks Owner Dolan tests positive

So tempted to add some commentary. But it would be certain to be in poor taste:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/k...o-no-symptoms/

RJ

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    So tempted to add some commentary. But it would be certain to be in poor taste:

https://www.cbssports.com/nba/news/k...o-no-symptoms/
    I hope RJ has been employing appropriate physical distancing.