Page 11 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 91011121321611115111011 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    The bit about labs selling old lab animals to the food markets was particularly unsettling
    On the genuine science front, there's a general feeling that the Chinese habit of selling wild animals in markets which have exposed sales of meat and fish is a particularly bad idea...Pangolins (raise your hand if you have one) have special scrutiny right now...going to the market today, but no pangolins on the list.

A lot has been written in the past about how various flu strains get into the human population...often it starts in ducks, who transmit it to swine (via the miracle of duck poop) and then on to humans.

Maybe

The bit about labs selling old lab animals to the food markets was particularly unsettling
    I suppose, but I was impressed that one researcher (now in prison) allegedly made millions selling old lab animals. Prices must be good!

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    On the genuine science front, there's a general feeling that the Chinese habit of selling wild animals in markets which have exposed sales of meat and fish is a particularly bad idea...Pangolins (raise your hand if you have one) have special scrutiny right now...going to the market today, but no pangolins on the list.

A lot has been written in the past about how various flu strains get into the human population...often it starts in ducks, who transmit it to swine (via the miracle of duck poop) and then on to humans.
    Have you ever walked through the hall of confiscated wildlife and wildlife parts at Atlanta Hartsfield airport? Pretty arresting. The Chinese government announced some bans on wildlife trade and consumption, which is good news for a lot of reasons.

Asian markets are one of the biggest threats to certain species today...like the pangolin you mention.

Have you ever walked through the hall of confiscated wildlife and wildlife parts at Atlanta Hartsfield airport?
    Is it between two concourses on the walkway (and if so, do you know which one?)

According to this, it's over in Concourse E. I seem to recall seeing it walking in that long hallway from the international to the domestic terminals. The article is from 2010 but I saw the exhibit as recently as a few years ago but it could have been removed by now...

According to this, it's over in Concourse E. I seem to recall seeing it walking in that long hallway from the international to the domestic terminals. The article is from 2010 but I saw the exhibit as recently as a few years ago but it could have been removed by now...
    Thanks. I am killing time in Hartsfield more times than I care to admit so will look for this.

The between-concourse walkways are all pretty interesting if you have the time and/or desire to stretch your legs before your connecting flight.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Thanks. I am killing time in Hartsfield more times than I care to admit so will look for this.

The between-concourse walkways are all pretty interesting if you have the time and/or desire to stretch your legs before your connecting flight.
    Heading somewhere good I hope. If you wander down that way, let me know if it’s still up. Been a few years since I’ve been to that airport but it was a memorable exhibit.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Currently there are at least 5 or 6 other respiratory viruses that are spreading like wildfire around here, and all the hospitals are full of people sick with respiratory viruses other than COVID-19. Just FYI.
    Not just hospitals. Clinics, Urgent Care, Doctor’s offices are all swamped. My niece is in day care and it’s been half full for weeks.

Back to the topic. It’s a positive but isn’t it strange that the current recovery rate for kids is virtually 100%? The elderly and kids are the most vulnerable but kids are currently fairing better.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    If you also have some N95 masks, they might work better than the "M95" masks of which you speak. ;-)

As far as avoiding places with large numbers of people, if you want to stay well in the wintertime, that's always a good idea, COVID-19 or not. Currently there are at least 5 or 6 other respiratory viruses that are spreading like wildfire around here, and all the hospitals are full of people sick with respiratory viruses other than COVID-19. Just FYI.
    Typo - they are N95. Have about 40, I think.

Have you ever walked through the hall of confiscated wildlife and wildlife parts at Atlanta Hartsfield airport? Pretty arresting. The Chinese government announced some bans on wildlife trade and consumption, which is good news for a lot of reasons.

Asian markets are one of the biggest threats to certain species today...like the pangolin you mention.
    I'd love to see that...I'll look for it my next time thru.
    As far as the Chinese gov't banning some wildlife trade and consumption, that won't be easy....there are a lot of old habits in China that won't die easily...(don't get me started on rhino horns...complicated topic)

The Atlantic has an excellent breakdown our current efforts to combat COVID 19. Here's the money quote regarding containment efforts:

The Harvard epidemiology professor Marc Lipsitch is exacting in his diction, even for an epidemiologist. Twice in our conversation he started to say something, then paused and said, “Actually, let me start again.” So it’s striking when one of the points he wanted to get exactly right was this: “I think the likely outcome is that it will ultimately not be containable...

Lipsitch predicts that, within the coming year, some 40 to 70 percent of people around the world will be infected with the virus that causes COVID-19. But, he clarifies emphatically, this does not mean that all will have severe illnesses. “It’s likely that many will have mild disease, or may be asymptomatic,” he said...

Lipsitch is far from alone in his belief that this virus will continue to spread widely. The emerging consensus among epidemiologists is that the most likely outcome of this outbreak is a new seasonal disease—a fifth “endemic” coronavirus. With the other four, people are not known to develop long-lasting immunity. If this one follows suit, and if the disease continues to be as severe as it is now, “cold and flu season” could become “cold and flu and COVID-19 season.”
    There's also a good summary of current efforts to develop a vaccine. Bottom line? We are at least 12 to 18 months from the development of a safe and effective vaccine. Longer for manufacturing and distribution.

There's another very good section on how to think about CDC and NIH funding relative to vaccine development. Read the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    The Atlantic has an excellent breakdown our current efforts to combat COVID 19. Here's the money quote regarding containment efforts:

There's also a good summary of current efforts to develop a vaccine. Bottom line? We are at least 12 to 18 months from the development of a safe and effective vaccine. Longer for manufacturing and distribution.

There's another very good section on how to think about CDC and NIH funding relative to vaccine development. Read the whole thing.
    I was just coming to post this. Soundly on the 'hysteria' side of the equation. Scary stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Typo - they are N95. Have about 40, I think.
    I make custom furniture in my (rare) spare time. Went to Home Depot today to get more N95 masks for all the sanding I have to do. Haha. Silly me. Empty shelves. The guy there said some dude recently came in and literally bought their entire stock to send back to China. They have no clue when they’ll get more. And online people are selling boxes of ten at $50-100 per box. Normally cost me less than $20. Crazy.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    I make custom furniture in my (rare) spare time. Went to Home Depot today to get more N95 masks for all the sanding I have to do. Haha. Silly me. Empty shelves. The guy there said some dude recently came in and literally bought their entire stock to send back to China. They have no clue when they’ll get more. And online people are selling boxes of ten at $50-100 per box. Normally cost me less than $20. Crazy.
    I’d like an adult-sized hobby wooden horse please.

Started watching a docuseries on Netflix called Pandemic. We’ll see if it catches.

WHO says cases have peaked in China but warns other nations to be prepared. I'm not sure other countries could execute a quarantine on the scope, scale, and severity of China but hopefully they won't need to.

It Just Got Real

Now I'm scared:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...cid=spartandhp

If Tom Cruise interrupts filming a Mission Impossible movie (I think this one is #37) it must be serious.

WHO says cases have peaked in China but warns other nations to be prepared. I'm not sure other countries could execute a quarantine on the scope, scale, and severity of China but hopefully they won't need to.
    yes, some of the videos I've seen on TV with authorities dragging (literally) people out of their apartments in China reflect policies which are not easily duplicated elsewhere...

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Now I'm scared:

https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/new...cid=spartandhp

If Tom Cruise interrupts filming a Mission Impossible movie (I think this one is #37) it must be serious.
    The late night jokes will right themselves for this one.

Well

Does anyone believe official statistics out of China?