Page 102 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 252921001011021031041121522026021102 ... LastLast
Results 2,021 to 2,040 of 22195
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Yeah if you look at the Total Cases graph with log scale (instead of linear) you can clearly see Italy's line is NOT straight; straight would suggest an exponential increase. It's slightly curving downward:
    https://www.worldometers.info/corona...country/italy/

So, the numbers can still be increasing, but if the rate of increase (basically the derivative) is slower, that's a positive sign theoretically.

The US, on the other hand, is still a straight line on the log scale, meaning exponential growth. There's the tiniest downward movement in the last day or so, but hard to say if that's a pattern or not yet.
    That helps, too. Thanks!!
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Money quote from AP article on flouters:

“Some consider they're little heroes when they break the rules," said French Interior Minister Christophe Castaner. "Well, no. You're an imbecile, and especially a threat to yourself.”
    As a scientist, if this was a natural selection thing I'd be all for it. Unfortunately, the ironies of life will prove that others will be hurt more by these "virus rebels".

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/world...fN1?li=BBnb7Kz

Nope

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    The breakdown I remember from last week was something like:

80% with no/minimal/mild symptoms (don't recall any further breakdown in this category)
    14% seriously ill
    6% critically ill
    I thought that, in China, the 80% included no symptoms to moderate, and moderate included pneumonia?

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    1. Yea, I'm figuring that lots of people (tens of thousands? hundreds of thousands? millions? more?) did not qualify to be tested and not sure what % of those who didn't qualify would be + or -, thereby altering any number of statistical variables like # of infected, % of infected with minimal/serious/critical symptoms, death rates, etc.

2. It'd be nice to have "unlimited" resources in the US/world and be able to test hundreds of millions more people and find out a more true infection rate, in which case we might find your infected but asymptomatic thought to be true.

Thanks!
    Iceland has widespread testing, so far better information, but also far better contact tracing, quarantine, etc., so you can't extrapolate to the US. https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertonard...=relatedmanual

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Yeah if you look at the Total Cases graph with log scale (instead of linear) you can clearly see Italy's line is NOT straight; straight would suggest an exponential increase. It's slightly curving downward:
    https://www.worldometers.info/corona...country/italy/

So, the numbers can still be increasing, but if the rate of increase (basically the derivative) is slower, that's a positive sign theoretically.

The US, on the other hand, is still a straight line on the log scale, meaning exponential growth. There's the tiniest downward movement in the last day or so, but hard to say if that's a pattern or not yet.
    Minor quibble, but the rate of new cases is still increasing in Italy, so the derivative is still positive. The second derivative might be negative, but the first derivative is most definitely still positive.

As of yesterday, the trend in new cases per day was still best fit by an exponential function. So I wouldn’t say that Italy’s case growth has plateaued.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I thought that, in China, the 80% included no symptoms to moderate, and moderate included pneumonia?
    Not sure about that. I think the middle group included moderate to serious which would be shortness of breath, possibly/certainly needing oxygen/hospitalization and those with pneumonia. There are varying degrees of pneumonia from involving a single lobe to bilateral lungs being involved and those that have viral and/or superimposed or secondary bacterial pneumonia. Those with multiple lobes involved and/or two pathogens will obviously be the sickest folks. I'll try to look back and see how those groups were defined.

My best friend's mother has it. I think she's ~55.

Virginia

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post

Death toll increases to three as a 60s male passes in Fairfax County.
    Death toll doubles to six. Three 80s females pass this afternoon.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Iceland has widespread testing, so far better information, but also far better contact tracing, quarantine, etc., so you can't extrapolate to the US. https://www.buzzfeed.com/albertonard...=relatedmanual
    Fascinating article to read. Thanks. Their positive test rate appears quite low and their no/mild symptoms rate also appears quite low and their death rate is also very low; all qualified with "for now," of course. Following their #s on worldometer will be quite interesting.

Philadelphia issues stay-at-home order beginning Monday morning. 10,000 businesses have requested exemption from the non-life sustaining business closure order from the Governor's office. I'd wager a good chunk of those are out of desperation and won't be able to stay a going concern if closed for a prolonged period.

I've been curious, as my wife and I live in eye shot of an Amish farm, if closed communities such as the Amish are even aware of the coronavirus and, if so, how they are responding. I haven't found a great deal of good, reliable news but apparently they are aware though not overly concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    At least he can’t hold up the stimulus bill now. Hope he gets better. Think he still has breathing problems from his neighbor attacking him.
    If a spate of senators test positive, what are they going to do about some of these votes? This could be a pretty big problem if several key senators can't be in the negotiations or there to vote. They would almost certainly have to start doing some of this via video-conferencing.
    Last edited by bundabergdevil; 03-22-2020 at 09:15 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    If a spate of senators test positive, what are they going to do about some of these votes? This could be a pretty big problem if several key senators can't be in the negotiations or there to vote. They would almost certainly have to start doing some of this via some video-conferencing.
    Utah Republican Senators Mitt Romney and Mike Lee reportedly self-quarantining, on physicians’ advice, after attending a lunch on Friday with Rand Paul. And reports that Paul was seen in the Senate gym/pool while awaiting his test results. (I may have that timing off, but think that’s what I have read.)
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    Utah Republican Senators Mitt Romney and Mike Lee reportedly self-quarantining, on physicians’ advice, after attending a lunch on Friday with Rand Paul. And reports that Paul was seen in the Senate gym/pool while awaiting his test results. (I may have that timing off, but think that’s what I have read.)
    According to this article, you're right, he got tested, then went to the senate gym while awaiting results. Some of his fellow senators are understandably upset. The Paul father and son, both physicians, not comporting themselves well with regard to COVID-19.

If a spate of senators test positive, what are they going to do about some of these votes? This could be a pretty big problem if several key senators can't be in the negotiations or there to vote. They would almost certainly have to start doing some of this via video-conferencing.
    Shouldn't they anyways? No groups of more than 10 people!

Several Democrats last week suggested having the Senate find ways to work/vote remotely, but Republicans (including McConnell) shot it down.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Shouldn't they anyways? No groups of more than 10 people!
    Quote Originally Posted by El_Diablo View Post
    Several Democrats last week suggested having the Senate find ways to work/vote remotely, but Republicans (including McConnell) shot it down.

It seems like the virus is going to compel congress to move in this direction. I'm not familiar enough with congressional rules but if a bunch of senators and reps self-quarantine, end up in the hospital, or, lord forbid, die from this, it is going to make passing needed stimulus harder, not easier. They need to get this figured out fast.

According to this article, you're right, he got tested, then went to the senate gym while awaiting results. Some of his fellow senators are understandably upset. The Paul father and son, both physicians, not comporting themselves well with regard to COVID-19.
    So that’s not just a Gen Z thing?
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

I don't know if anyone has already linked this information on this thread, but I would highly recommend that everyone read it:

https://www.yahoo.com/news/why-nobel...210318391.html

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    So that’s not just a Gen Z thing?
    Sometimes the relationship between dumb and age is inverse, other times the relationship is linear, but dumb is never cured, not even with age.

Sometimes the relationship between dumb and age is inverse, other times the relationship is linear, but dumb is never cured, not even with age.
    I've uttered a variant of that on multiple occasions, usually as, "There is no fix/antidote/cure for stupid."