Page 10 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 8910111220601105101010 ... LastLast

Post -- Very Close to a Pandemic

https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...cfb_story.html

“I think we should assume that this virus is very soon going to be spreading in communities here, if it isn’t already, and despite aggressive actions, we should be putting more efforts to mitigate impacts,” said Jennifer Nuzzo, an epidemiologist and senior scholar the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security. “That means protecting people who are most likely to develop severe illness and die.”

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    https://www.washingtonpost.com/healt...cfb_story.html

“I think we should assume that this virus is very soon going to be spreading in communities here, if it isn’t already, and despite aggressive actions, we should be putting more efforts to mitigate impacts,” said Jennifer Nuzzo, an epidemiologist and senior scholar the Johns Hopkins Center for Health Security. “That means protecting people who are most likely to develop severe illness and die.”
    Good update. I guess, pursuant to the thread title question, that means we're edging closer to hysteria?

Well

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Good update. I guess, pursuant to the thread title question, that means we're edging closer to hysteria?
    Speaking for myself, I'm definitely edging closer to hysteria!

I've been there for three weeks. Starting some seed for my Flu Garden this weekend.

I admit to having recently searched up some prepper videos.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Japan and the coronavirus

Post article about how Japan has bungled its response to the coronavirus: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...n-train-wreck/

Currently the reported cases (78,000) represent 0.0000102766 of the world population - for what it is worth.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Currently the reported cases (78,000) represent 0.0000102766 of the world population - for what it is worth.
    Let's hope this virus doesn't understand geometric progression, as most contagious diseases do.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Let's hope this virus doesn't understand geometric progression, as most contagious diseases do.
    Yes, and the reported case numbers are meaningless. Even if one trusted China to report good-faith numbers (I do not), their ever-changing reporting criteria make them minimally useful, at best. The bottom line is a pandemic is looking more and more likely.

[Edit: Deleted link to WP quote that MChambers already posted]

There’s now concern that the incubation period for COVID 19 could be much longer than 14 days—perhaps as long as 27 days. This would seriously undermine the effectiveness of the quarantine.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    There’s now concern that the incubation period for COVID 19 could be much longer than 14 days—perhaps as long as 27 days. This would seriously undermine the effectiveness of the quarantine.
    This thing is starting to sound like a pathogen engineered by some evil genius. Scary.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    This thing is starting to sound like a pathogen engineered by some evil genius. Scary.
    Market futures down almost 800pts. This is going to get folks attention.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    and right on cue, that bastion of journalistic integrity, the New York Post, weighs in:https://nypost.com/2020/02/22/dont-b...ed-from-a-lab/

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    and right on cue, that bastion of journalistic integrity, the New York Post, weighs in:https://nypost.com/2020/02/22/dont-b...ed-from-a-lab/
    Please note that any denials will be evidence of a coverup.

I don't buy the evil genius thing though. Perhaps engineered by an evil person-of-somewhat-above-average-intelligence.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Please note that any denials will be evidence of a coverup.

I don't buy the evil genius thing though. Perhaps engineered by an evil person-of-somewhat-above-average-intelligence.
    Doofenshmirtz Evil, Inc.

Market finally hitting hysteria mode? Tough Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    The bit about labs selling old lab animals to the food markets was particularly unsettling

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Guess I'm glad I have a bunch of M95 masks left from the summer mission trip.

Niece Elizabeth is helping with CDC screening at SeaTac but we don't know exactly what she is doing.
    If you also have some N95 masks, they might work better than the "M95" masks of which you speak. ;-)

As far as avoiding places with large numbers of people, if you want to stay well in the wintertime, that's always a good idea, COVID-19 or not. Currently there are at least 5 or 6 other respiratory viruses that are spreading like wildfire around here, and all the hospitals are full of people sick with respiratory viruses other than COVID-19. Just FYI.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

My wife received notice over the weekend that someone in her office was “briefly” exposed to a family member who had recently returned from China and who has the Coronavirus. The employee in question is under “self-quarantine.”

My guess is that other local cases exist but are not yet public knowledge.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    If you also have some N95 masks, they might work better than the "M95" masks of which you speak. ;-)

As far as avoiding places with large numbers of people, if you want to stay well in the wintertime, that's always a good idea, COVID-19 or not. Currently there are at least 5 or 6 other respiratory viruses that are spreading like wildfire around here, and all the hospitals are full of people sick with respiratory viruses other than COVID-19. Just FYI.
    My wife, son, and myself are just getting over said viruses. My wife had the flu and pneumonia to boot.

Oh, and we all got sick the week we were scheduled to pick up our newly adopted dog from the neuter clinic. We all just laid around stared at each other and whined. Dog included.