Page 540 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 404404905305385395405415425505906401040 ... LastLast
Results 10,781 to 10,800 of 22200
    Yet another study out today that shows that mouthwashes inactivate about 99% of coronavirus activity in about 30 seconds. Disclaimer: no tests using SARS-CoV-2. But they inactivate the other coronaviruses, which are extremely structurally similar.

Not surprising, really.

Not shown: Whether inactivation of virus with a mouthwash will actually do anything to either protect one from infection or reduce the severity of infection, or even reduce spread of infection, for that matter. The hypothesis is that mouthwashes could cut down the amount of viral shedding, which might slow spread.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Yet another study out today that shows that mouthwashes inactivate about 99% of coronavirus activity in about 30 seconds. Disclaimer: no tests using SARS-CoV-2. But they inactivate the other coronaviruses, which are extremely structurally similar.

Not surprising, really.

Not shown: Whether inactivation of virus with a mouthwash will actually do anything to either protect one from infection or reduce the severity of infection, or even reduce spread of infection, for that matter. The hypothesis is that mouthwashes could cut down the amount of viral shedding, which might slow spread.
    I saw this study, too, but feared posting it, leaving that task to someone brighter, more trustworthy and reliable than me to perform the deed .

Any word about if there's an injectable form available?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Long, rather complicated scientific article released by the drug company that is supervising/hosting/conducting the trial (posted/linked/quoted without personal commentary or opinion):

https://investor.regeneron.com/news-...ral-levels-and

Some excerpts:

"The ongoing, randomized, double-blind trial measures the effect of adding REGN-COV2 to usual standard-of-care, compared to adding placebo to standard-of-care. "

"More than 2,000 people have been enrolled across the overall REGN-COV2 development program, and no unexpected safety findings have been reported by the Independent Data Monitoring Committee."

"Additional Trial Background
    Among the first 275 patients, approximately 56% were Hispanic, 13% were African American and 64% had one or more underlying risk factors for severe COVID-19, including obesity (more than 40%). On average, patients were 44 years of age. In total, 49% of participants were male and 51% were female."

"To develop REGN-COV2, Regeneron scientists evaluated thousands of fully-human antibodies produced by the company's VelocImmune® mice, which have been genetically modified to have a human immune system, as well as antibodies identified from humans who have recovered from COVID-19. The two potent, virus-neutralizing antibodies that form REGN-COV2 bind non-competitively to the critical receptor binding domain of the virus's spike protein, which diminishes the ability of mutant viruses to escape treatment and protects against spike variants that have arisen in the human population, as detailed in Science. Preclinical studies have shown that REGN-COV2 reduced the amount of virus and associated damage in the lungs of non-human primates."
    Thanks for the article.

I was referring the Regeneron (at 3x) + Remdesivir + Dexamethasone + Zinc + Vitamin D + Famotidine + Melatonin + Aspirin. That's a whole much of meds in a very short period of time. If there was a trial or case study with Regeneron and even a couple of the other meds I would be shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Thanks for the article.

I was referring the Regeneron (at 3x) + Remdesivir + Dexamethasone + Zinc + Vitamin D + Famotidine + Melatonin + Aspirin. That's a whole much of meds in a very short period of time. If there was a trial or case study with Regeneron and even a couple of the other meds I would be shocked.
    Agreed. WRT the last 5, as we've discussed before (IIIRC), those are all available OTC and we *could* all take those in any combination at the first sign/symptom/suspicion of any COVID/COVID-like illness. Dex is pretty widely/commonly available under MD supervision to *almost* anyone "sick enough" to get it. I've seen/read about Remdesivir being given in some of our affiliated hospitals in smaller communities, but reserved for sicker patients with much stricter criteria required before administration. WRT the "antibody cocktail" and/or convalescent serum/plasma, those recipients have to be in even more limited numbers and likely clinically controlled. I chuckled/chortled/guffawed when I saw ~15 MDs (I presume all MDs) paraded out for pressers from Walter Reed Hospital, much akin to several urologists reporting about another president's (Reagan? Bush?) prostate surgery years ago, thinking, "If I had illness/surgery XYZ, I'd have a primary hospitalist/internist/surgeon caring for me and ~0-3 more consultants involved, depending on the severity/complexity of my situation."

Not surprising, really.
    Still, sounds like they could stand to expand the Scope of the study.

Not surprising, really.
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Still, sounds like they could stand to expand the Scope of the study.
    If mouthwash works, I imagine a good bourbon would, too, no?

Where's that Mmm...Bourbon thread..

Quote Originally Posted by grad_devil View Post
    If mouthwash works, I imagine a good bourbon would, too, no?

Where's that Mmm...Bourbon thread..
    What about wine? I think I need to go back to a glass of red wine a day - I've been slacking off on this.

Not surprising, really.

What if you snort it?!?

Yep, the Coronavirus thread still exists.

Probably posted before, but worth repeeting:

007c571ba7b19bada25650f4b9094ac4.jpg

I guess I could post this in the Laughter thread, or maybe even Ymm, Beer .

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Texas pushing hard to be #1 in cases taking over the top spot from California In a few more days we should be there. For reference, you take Texas, throw in North Carolina and you have the population of California.
    According to Worldomters, Texas today overtook California for the most confirmed cases in US.

That is the US record for most cases in one day. It was set on July 17 according to the Covid Tracking Project ( https://covidtracking.com/data/charts/us-daily-positive ). I think most of us feel we are headed toward breaking that record... anyone wanna guess when? I notice that Wednesdays and Thursdays tend to be the highest reporting days so I am gonna guess we will top it next Thursday, the 29th.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

I guess we are lucky, at least so far. Numbers holding steady, still down about 80% from our peak numbers back in july.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post

That is the US record for most cases in one day. It was set on July 17 according to the Covid Tracking Project ( https://covidtracking.com/data/charts/us-daily-positive ). I think most of us feel we are headed toward breaking that record... anyone wanna guess when? I notice that Wednesdays and Thursdays tend to be the highest reporting days so I am gonna guess we will top it next Thursday, the 29th.
    Or maybe today... according to Worldometer, pretty much every states reporting so far today is up 20% or more from yesterday.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Not surprising, really.

Does this mean we should all be carrying around a Binaca as our self-defense weapon of choice?

Just thought I would share something I had sent to a friend...

The Morning as a Hybrid Teacher

Note: all names changed to protect the innocent (and the not-so-innocent.)

* Start zoom,
    * admit all from waiting room,
    * unmute,
    * start video,
    * admit the late ones,
    * test to see if they can hear you at home,
    * make sure the kids in the classroom are muted,
    * admit more late kids,
    * remind Julia to turn on her camera,
    * take attendance,
    * check with other classes to see if they have finished hand washing,
    * send groups to hand wash,
    * switch camera to HD,
    * switch microphone to HD,
    * log into your own zoom as a student from your laptop so you can see the kids while you use the Smartboard for the in-person kids,
    * turn off your microphone and camera on your laptop,
    * remind Sadie to turn on her camera,
    * prop laptop on chair underneath camera so you can see it while teaching,
    * run back to desktop,
    * pull assignment up on SmartBoard,
    * pull up Google classroom to find specific reading assignment,
    * share screen from desktop,
    * stop screen share on laptop so you can see all of the kids,
    * pause to do the pledge and listen to the announcements,
    * call on Lori to begin to read the assignment and wait through a minute of silence while she doesn't and looks confused,
    * explain again to Lori that you are in reading and not writing,
    * have Josh read Google assignment instead while scrolling through gallery view to make sure everybody is paying attention,
    * look at the particular shade of light reflecting off of Luke's face and realize he is playing Bloxorz and not on Google Docs,
    * remind Luke he should be following along in reading and not playing Bloxorz,
    * check for questions,
    * remind Nick to turn on his camera,
    * call on Eric to read part 2 of reading,
    * give up after you realize Eric is lagging so badly that he isn't even moving,
    * call on Jenny to read only to have Eric's terribly delayed audio come blasting through,
    * tell Kevin to mute his microphone to stop the terrible feedback,
    * admit more late kids,
    * adjust attendance to record the tardy arrival times,
    * go over the assignment again for Kelly who was away from her computer for the whole time,
    * open individual breakout rooms,
    * jump into breakout room seven to do a TC with Nolan,
    * in the middle of it go to breakout room 13 to help someone who needs help with the reading assignment,
    * go back to the main screen to readmit the two kids whose Internet access got dropped when you opened the breakout rooms and reassign them to breakout rooms,
    * jump into breakout room three to do a TC with Michelle before you remember you already started one in room seven with Nolan,
    * go back to breakout room seven,
    * remind Nolan in breakout room seven to turn on his camera and unmute... oh, and to stop playing Bloxorz...

...aaaannnd its only 8:38 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post

* Start zoom,
    * unmute,
    * start video,
    * admit the late ones,
    * admit more late kids,
    * take attendance,
    * switch camera to HD,
    * log into your own zoom as a student from your laptop so you can see the kids while you use the Smartboard for the in-person kids,
    * run back to desktop,
    * call on Lori to begin to read the assignment and wait through a minute of silence while she doesn't and looks confused,
    * have Josh read Google assignment instead while scrolling through gallery view to make sure everybody is paying attention,
    * look at the particular shade of light reflecting off of Luke's face and realize he is playing Bloxorz and not on Google Docs,
    * check for questions,
    * call on Jenny to read only to have Eric's terribly delayed audio come blasting through,
    * admit more late kids,
    * go over the assignment again for Kelly who was away from her computer for the whole time,
    * in the middle of it go to breakout room 13 to help someone who needs help with the reading assignment,
    * go back to the main screen to readmit the two kids whose Internet access got dropped when you opened the breakout rooms and reassign them to breakout rooms,
    * jump into breakout room three to do a TC with Michelle before you remember you already started one in room seven with Nolan,
    * remind Nolan in breakout room seven to turn on his camera and unmute... oh, and to stop playing Bloxorz...

I feel for you!

And you should be able to mute the kids yourself. (I wish zoom allowed hosts to turn mics on as well as off.)

-jk

True... sometimes I guess the first reaction when a kid unmutes and creates horrible feedback is just to tell them to mute? But you are right!

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post

* Start zoom,
    * unmute,
    * start video,
    * admit the late ones,
    * admit more late kids,
    * take attendance,
    * switch camera to HD,
    * run back to desktop,
    * check for questions,
    * admit more late kids,

Luke sounds like a real pissant.

We have four hospitals with ICU beds. The occupancy for three are 120%, 97% and 87%. They are not all COVID patients but COVID cases are the majority. Glad we are turning the corner...sigh. We were doing so well two weeks ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    We have four hospitals with ICU beds. The occupancy for three are 120%, 97% and 87%. They are not all COVID patients but COVID cases are the majority. Glad we are turning the corner...sigh. We were doing so well two weeks ago.
    Just curious, what state are you in? (Geographically speaking, not mentally...)
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."