Page 537 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 374374875275355365375385395475876371037 ... LastLast
Results 10,721 to 10,740 of 22197
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    do they think . . . .
    I see where the problem is.

WSJ: With Fewer Covid-19 Restrictions, South’s Economy Outperforms Nation

"When coronavirus cases began surging across the South this summer, the region seemed destined for the same economic setback the Northeast suffered during the spring.

But by the end of summer, the South’s economy remained largely unscathed from the wave of infections. Its unemployment rate had fallen to 6.9%, the lowest of any region in August.

“In the South, I think that the more pro-business policies that Southern governors have largely followed for decades allowed much more flexibility earlier,” said Mark Vitner, a Charlotte, N.C.-based economist at Wells Fargo Securities. “We did see a rise in Covid infections over the summer. That slowed the pace of reopenings, but it didn’t reverse it.”

Public-health experts say the South’s early reopening came at a price: higher rates of virus infections and deaths starting over the summer, illustrating a trade-off between the economy and health."

https://www.wsj.com/articles/with-fe...?mod=flipboard

In the graph of infections, you'll see the south looks like a delayed version of the NE except when it came back down to a steady state, that steady state is higher than the NE. Looking at economic measures, the south and Mountain west are destroying the country. The NE, Pacific West are way behind. Except Maine, Maine's economy has been awesome. All those NErs going to summer houses I guess. (And VT and NH to a lesser extent). My state IL, is way behind it's neighbors from an economic perspective with higher unemployment and reduced output. Of course, many would argue that is worth it to reduce case count/improve public health. Clearly very different approaches. We'll see how it all plays out ... But thought the article was interesting at least.

Just got back from the largest gathering I have experienced since February.

Our church expanded from 25 people maximum to 125 people, essentially now splitting our congregation into two groups instead of 8 or 10 or whatever it was. As I am the organist for this particular group, I was there this morning at 8:20 playing prelude. We ended up with about 110 people who actually attended. The meeting is held in a cavernous room, everybody wore masks except for the people who were actually speaking to the congregation, who took their masks off only while they spoke and then put them back on again.

Everybody in the audience wore masks the entire time, including children. From my seat at the organ I can see everybody, and I was very impressed by 100% adherence to masking. The meeting lasted, from prelude all the way through about 8 minutes of postlude, for about 55 minutes. People took off their masks in the parking lot afterward to speak with each other, but maintained distancing. I was pretty impressed.

Although all the guidelines were followed, and I feel like given the size of the room it is really a low-risk gathering, I have to admit to feeling a little bit weird about seeing that many people in one place. Interesting how quickly our perception of normal and acceptable has changed. In February of last year, seeing a crowd at church the size I saw today, I would have been thinking, “Where IS everybody?” Today, I’m thinking, “Holy crap! This is a lot of people in one place!”
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    The folks who think it is a hoax...

...do they think Europe and the rest of the world are all in on the hoax? Do they think the rest of the world hates Trump so much that people in Italy just pretended to overrun their hospitals?

This is one really impressive hoax that we have governments and doctors everywhere in on it and not a single person is spilling the beans.

It would be much easier to stage an actual coup and install a new government in Washington than it would be to stage a global hoax like this.
    No, they think if you went to a hospital during flu season, you'd see a lot of sick people as well. Why doesn't that ever get reported on. They think the media is sensationalizing things. Remember turning the Javits Center in a hospital in NYC? It was barely used and closed after a month. Remember those hospital ships? Mercy in CA treated a grand total of 77 patients, Comfort in NYC treated less than 200 patients.

https://www.navytimes.com/news/your-...-200-patients/
    https://news.usni.org/2020/05/07/hos...vid-19-support

It's not the virus that's the hoax, or the fact that people are getting sick that are the hoax, it's that it's an actual public health emergency that's the hoax. It's that this is any different than the flu that's the hoax.

...at least that's my take on it. I admit having consumed a bunch of news from a bunch of different source I find it impossible to think this is anything other than a grave and serious danger. But having talked to people who think 9/11 was a hoax or at least government orchestrated...you just can't argue with crazy.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    ...you just can't argue with crazy.
    And you can’t fix stupid...

“Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    I wish I could tell a story of not knowing anyone having had Covid. Unfortunately, I know 5 people who have had it: two recovered after a few days to a week, one spent 5 days in the hospital, and two have passed away(both after time on a ventilator). Two of the three who spent time in the hospital had underlying health conditions that I'm aware of. One of the two who passed was among the first few people here in San Antonio to die from the virus, so I've been very concerned about catching the virus since early on in its spread. I'm aware of the effects lockdowns can have on people, a coworker took his own life early this summer. I am also a witness to the impact this pandemic has had on communities of color Suffice it to say that this has been about the worst 7 months of my life. If it appears I don't have a lot of patience for non-mask wearers, those that don't take heed of distancing requirements and limits on gatherings, well I don't. Unfortunately, it is an attitude that has been hard earned. We have very few tools to combat this virus and we have to rely on others to do their part. It does bother me to see some decline to do theirs.
    Just went to Greenville sc. 75 to 80% of people in the area i was at wore no masks. I expect the cases to rise there in short order. I did my buisness and left quickly .
    Im not a real big alarmist on covid .but i do wear a mask and use precautions.
    H1n1 beat me down like a rented mule.
    Im not sure i want any piece of covid.
    I know of 5 at work that have had covid.
    All alive .
    We have a upoer respiratory virus going around work .nones testing positive for covid.we all are on steroids z packs ect. No9ne can shake the cough 3 or more weeks in.
    We are starting to wonder if this hasnt mutated again .
    If its possible for it to mutate to the point the test wouldn't pick it up.
    Might be paranoia but we all are a bit worried.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Just went to Greenville sc. 75 to 80% of people in the area i was at wore no masks. I expect the cases to rise there in short order. I did my buisness and left quickly .
    All alive .
    We have a upoer respiratory virus going around work .nones testing positive for covid.we all are on steroids z packs ect. No9ne can shake the cough 3 or more weeks in.
    It mutates quite frequently but to my knowledge none of the mutations have made it so that the test would come back falsely negative.

Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    All alive .
    I live in Greenville, SC. Mask wearing varies greatly with particular location and business. I went to Publix near Furman U. this morning and all patrons except one were wearing masks. (I only go early in the morning when traffic is very light.)

I have been to the Wal-Mart in Traveler's Rest (about 4 miles from the Publix) and perhaps half of the people were wearing masks. I have marked that off of places I will go to for now.

Looking at various web sites I see that SC and Greenville county in particuar aren't bad at the moment, but the virus is definitely percolating and on an upward trend. I'm still very much hiding from the virus and minimizing my trips to various businesses. I haven't eaten inside at a restaurant since March and only outside once or twice. My restaurant interactions are almost exclusively takeout.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    It mutates quite frequently but to my knowledge none of the mutations have made it so that the test would come back falsely negative.
    I wouldn't think so either but this has been a strange year . Plus i could have missed news .
    The md at my daughters work told me the same when i got tested.
    I was prepaired not to return home for two weeks .

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    And you can’t fix stupid...
    There must be an intelligence analog to what Goober (George Lindsey) said on Hee Haw:
    'Beauty' is only skin deep, but 'ugly' goes right down to the bone.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Well this is just great news. As if we needed an other obstacle in getting people to take a vaccine. The "claim" is so absurd (the vaccine will turn people into apes) that one would think it would be dismissed immediately. Apparently, that's not the world around us. The original Times article is pay walled so here's an alternative article.

Russians spread fake news over Oxford coronavirus vaccine

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Well this is just great news. As if we needed an other obstacle in getting people to take a vaccine. The "claim" is so absurd (the vaccine will turn people into apes) that one would think it would be dismissed immediately. Apparently, that's not the world around us. The original Times article is pay walled so here's an alternative article.

I miss the days when I had to read the Weekly World News for stories like this.

Well

For some folks, especially the ones who might believe this story, being turned into an ape would be an upgrade.

Quote Originally Posted by ryetales View Post
    I am still concerned about the health and safety of Bat Boy.

Quote Originally Posted by ryetales View Post
    My favorite was the Face of Satan series. He might have been overbooked for 2020 appearances though.

WWN-Face-of-Satan.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    My favorite was the Face of Satan series. He might have been overbooked for 2020 appearances though.

WWN-Face-of-Satan.jpg
    Does he have orange ….. never mind that might get me demerits...

Well, it will certainly turn you into a primate if you weren't already!

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post

WWN-Face-of-Satan.jpg
    You can cross-post the bottom left in the UFO thread where we are all searching for motives for ETs visiting Earth

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I am still concerned about the health and safety of Bat Boy.
    I think he's doing fine.

160902-baker-rudy-brooks.jpg

Please, please, please don't take this as a partisan attack ...

Quote Originally Posted by Chicago 1995 View Post
    I think he's doing fine.

160902-baker-rudy-brooks.jpg

Please, please, please don't take this as a partisan attack ...
    I believe this should be flagged as Bat-shaming.