Page 577 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 774775275675755765775785795876276771077 ... LastLast
Results 11,521 to 11,540 of 22195
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    So, apparently the half dose followed by full dose from AstraZeneca was a mistake... They never intended to do it but it was a manufacturing error and then they just rolled with it. And now people are questioning the numbers on that piece because it was a relatively small number of people, nobody over 55 got the half dose followed by full dose, and they pooled the results. Could be statistical fluke. Nobody really knows why a smaller dose up front would be more effective if it's even true at all.

The Associated Press: AstraZeneca manufacturing error clouds vaccine study results.
    https://apnews.com/883e783962dc562a99864b4b63de9897
    Interesting. Call lt serendipity or 'optimal sloppiness,' or whatever you want, I guess. I worry that it will make getting an Emergency Use Authorization difficult.
    As for why the difference in efficacy, if it is real, my guess would be simply that priming with the larger dose may have led to at least a degree of immune tolerance, whereas priming with the smaller dose got the cells ready to be boosted properly. I highly doubt it has to do with an overly anxious immune response to the adenovirus vector. The vector virus isn't even replication competent, sp the amount of that antigen presented to the immune system would be comparatively small.
    All speculation on my part, though.

In addition to potentially compromising the ability of the company to get an EUA, I worry that this may also tend to undermine confidence in vaccines, which ls already pretty low amongst the general public. I hope that this mistake by Pfizer won't spill over and end up compromising confidence in vaccines by other manufacturers. There is a pressing need to get as many people as possible vaccinated in the midst of a fair bit if mistrust. If the fact that it was an error that produced the two different dosing schedules becomes widely known, it will not aid those efforts.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    In addition to potentially compromising the ability of the company to get an EUA, I worry that this may also tend to undermine confidence in vaccines, which ls already pretty low amongst the general public. I hope that this mistake by Pfizer won't spill over and end up compromising confidence in vaccines by other manufacturers. There is a pressing need to get as many people as possible vaccinated in the midst of a fair bit if mistrust. If the fact that it was an error that produced the two different dosing schedules becomes widely known, it will not aid those efforts.
    I don't think there have been any Pfizer errors reported. Assume you meant AZ.

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post
    I don't think there have been any Pfizer errors reported. Assume you meant AZ.
    Yes, thank you.

Hey, COVID numbers are down today.

Oops, at least a dozen states are not reporting today.

(found out today a high school friend lost his mom to COVID...among those who have been directly affected, there is a lot of red-hot anger...and yet 50% of the country appears to have no empathy)

Nurses vs. Athletes

Sad story in the Washington Post about how athletes are being tested like crazy, but not nurses.

“These athletes and teams have a stockpile of covid testing, enough to test them at will,” says Michelle Gutierrez Vo, another registered nurse and sports fan in California. “And it’s painful to watch. It seemed like nobody else mattered or their lives are more important than ours.”

Months into the pandemic, and with vaccines nearing distribution, testing in the United States remains something of a luxury. Testing sites are crowded, and some patients still report waiting days for results. Sandoval said nurses who suspect they’ve been exposed are expected to seek out a testing site on their own, at their expense, and take unpaid time while they wait for results — in effect choosing between their paycheck and their health and potentially that of others.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...navirus-tests/

good article on the challenges of ramping up vaccine production, especially for new technologies:https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/17/h...p_id=816220355

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    We are on the precipice of a humanitarian crisis the likes of which we have not seen in a century in this country.

That it's arriving during the holidays, without a functioning federal government, a month away from 20 million Americans getting vaccinated, with billions in federal supports about to dry up, is a perverse collision of circumstances.
    More than on the precipice, it's rather like we've run off the cliff and just haven't quite looked down yet.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    More than on the precipice, it's rather like we've run off the cliff and just haven't quite looked down yet.
    Many of us have looked down. Now cringing and waiting for the splat.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Many of us have looked down. Now cringing and waiting for the splat.
    I still like to think that the US is one of the greatest countries in the world but I am starting to question myself and I am thinking that in fact we might be one of the stupidest. How we have allowed a public health crisis to polarize and politicize us is beyond stupid.
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    I still like to think that the US is one of the greatest countries in the world but I am starting to question myself and I am thinking that in fact we might be one of the stupidest. How we have allowed a public health crisis to polarize and politicize us is beyond stupid.
    I agree, and fear the worst because to quote Ron White, “you can’t fix stupid.”

Both things can be true. We're the Rob Gronkowski of nations.

And... sagegrouse's post gets deleted in 3, 2, 1....
    I don't know. Things I got penalized for before the election are quite trifling compared to what seems to fly now.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I don't know. Things I got penalized for before the election are quite trifling compared to what seems to fly now.
    Um.... it's gone.

Um... it's gone.
    Well then.

Um... it's gone.
    Well then.
    Hair today, gone tomorrow.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by accfanfrom1970 View Post
    I agree, and fear the worst because to quote Ron White, “you can’t fix stupid.”
    We are fighting two pandemics: COVID and selfishness (with a helping of ignorance, fear, delusion, and NIMBY). I can not image what would happen if the country were asked to make the sacrifices required during WWI and WWII.

The US added million new cases in six days (13m to 12m). How long until it's a million a day? Christmas? New Years Day? We are failing into heard infection with the only silver lining of potential heard immunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    We are fighting two pandemics: COVID and selfishness (with a helping of ignorance, fear, delusion, and NIMBY). I can not image what would happen if the country were asked to make the sacrifices required during WWI and WWII.

The US added million new cases in six days (13m to 12m). How long until it's a million a day? Christmas? New Years Day? We are failing into heard infection with the only silver lining of potential heard immunity.
    The echoes are deafening.

Schools up here will be interesting on Monday morning. Each kid will be asked if they had any multi household get togethers over the Thanksgiving break, and if they did, they have to quarantine for seven days.
    I'm sure quite a few parents aren't paying close attention to this, they'll be surprised when junior comes home Monday morning...I expect a bit of turmoil.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Schools up here will be interesting on Monday morning. Each kid will be asked if they had any multi household get togethers over the Thanksgiving break, and if they did, they have to quarantine for seven days.
    I'm sure quite a few parents aren't paying close attention to this, they'll be surprised when junior comes home Monday morning...I expect a bit of turmoil.
    My school district has been 100% remote since March, but nearby districts that have been in person have chosen to simply be remote next week and then reassessing.

Yes, will be quite interesting... I'm sure many people will just ignore the directive.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    My school district has been 100% remote since March, but nearby districts that have been in person have chosen to simply be remote next week and then reassessing.

Yes, will be quite interesting... I'm sure many people will just ignore the directive.
    I'm sure a lot of kids will be coached about what to say, some kids fib better than others...