Page 574 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 744745245645725735745755765846246741074 ... LastLast
Results 11,461 to 11,480 of 22200
    The immune system can be tricky, and vaccine history is replete with surprising results that were completely unexpected at the time.

Good news is that with this vaccine, the immune system seems to prefer a little primer followed by a full booster, which will allow us to vaccinate more people with the same amount of vaccine. I don't have access to the company data, but i suspect the smaller priming dose was also likely better tolerated. So it is a win-win.
    Since this vaccine is also not a brand-new technology, it may help allay the fears of people who are wary of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines because of the newness factor.
    Finally, this vaccine appears to be a lot easier logistically, with tolerance of higher temperatures and maintenance of potency for a much longer time.

I suspect this vaccine will see a lot of international use, especially in poorer countries, because of the stability factor.

All in all, more good news on the vaccine front.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    The immune system can be tricky, and vaccine history is replete with surprising results that were completely unexpected at the time.

Good news is that with this vaccine, the immune system seems to prefer a little primer followed by a full booster, which will allow us to vaccinate more people with the same amount of vaccine. I don't have access to the company data, but i suspect the smaller priming dose was also likely better tolerated. So it is a win-win.
    Since this vaccine is also not a brand-new technology, it may help allay the fears of people who are wary of the Pfizer and Moderna vaccines because of the newness factor.
    Finally, this vaccine appears to be a lot easier logistically, with tolerance of higher temperatures and maintenance of potency for a much longer time.

I suspect this vaccine will see a lot of international use, especially in poorer countries, because of the stability factor.

All in all, more good news on the vaccine front.
    So from your experience, is this half dose primer/full dose booster thing something that's happened before? That would be somewhat reassuring...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    So from your experience, is this half dose primer/full dose booster thing something that's happened before? That would be somewhat reassuring...
    We did half-dose flu vaccine followed by another half-dose one month later for children under the age of 9 for years and years. I can’t think of any where we started with a half-dose and then did a full dose later, but I can’t think of any reason to worry about it; seems preferable to having to have a full dose primer followed by a full-dose booster, to me.

Priming and boosting is a well understood mechanism of the way the immune system works. We don’t need prime-boosting for influenza vaccines because everybody has either been infected or vaccinated previously.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

We did half-dose flu vaccine followed by another half-dose one month later for children under the age of 9 for years and years. I can’t think of any where we started with a half-dose and then did a full dose later, but I can’t think of any reason to worry about it; seems preferable to having to have a full dose primer followed by a full-dose booster, to me.

Priming and boosting is a well understood mechanism of the way the immune system works. We don’t need prime-boosting for influenza vaccines because everybody has either been infected or vaccinated previously.
    Thanks. Anything that improves the odds of FDA approval is good news in my book...

AstraZeneca

Good article on the AstraZenica vaccine, comparing it to the other two that have reported results thus far. https://www.vox.com/21590994/oxford-...pfizer-moderna

Quote Originally Posted by niveklaen View Post
    I am curious how Duke has managed to test its way to safety for their 10k plus students/staff while the white house failed when they presumably had both more resources and fewer people to protect. Even more curious given that Duke was tasked with protecting mostly 18-22yr old crazy kids while the white house with protecting mostly middle aged responsible adults. What did we do better and why didn't the infectious disease experts at the white house - again presumably more experienced/knowledgeable/qualified than ours - implement a testing regiment as effective as ours? The white house has shown that it is not easy to test your way to safety, but Duke has shown that it is possible.
    The White House is using the Abbott Labs quick test which they still think is a gold standard. It is not. It gives a false sense of security. They test all visitors but it misses a good chuck of infected people. Duke uses pcr testing. Also the White House doesn't have required scheduled testing for people working there. They are also lax on testing people who work in the administration but not in the WH daily. Comparing what Duke is doing and the White House's halve baked scheme is an insult to Duke.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    The White House is using the Abbott Labs quick test which they still think is a gold standard. It is not. It gives a false sense of security. They test all visitors but it misses a good chuck of infected people. Duke uses pcr testing. Also the White House doesn't have required scheduled testing for people working there. They are also lax on testing people who work in the administration but not in the WH daily. Comparing what Duke is doing and the White House's halve baked scheme is an insult to Duke.
    I previously posted this:https://www.latimes.com/science/stor...its-doors-open

Duke did / does some good things, WH not so much.

This is why we are in so much trouble now. How do we change these attitudes?!?!?

https://abc11.com/health/1-in-3-pare...id-19/8199644/

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    This is why we are in so much trouble now. How do we change these attitudes?!?!?

December will be bad. January will be a disaster.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post

Not surprising and not encouraging. Some have pandemic fatigue and some have pandemic denial.

I'm reminded of the Chipmunks song of the season, though I may not have the lyrics exactly right.

Vaccine, vaccine time is near
    Time for shots and time for cheer
    We've been good but we can't last
    Hurry vaccine, hurry fast

Does anyone know if the three vaccines at issue have been tested on diabetics? I have a family member for which that is an important issue. Thanks in advance!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Does anyone know if the three vaccines at issue have been tested on diabetics? I have a family member for which that is an important issue. Thanks in advance!
    Don't know whether they had diabetics in the trial, but since none of the three is a live attenuated vaccine, there is no danger to diabetics. The issue with diabetics is similar to the issue with the elderly; will they mount a protective response?

We are on the precipice of a humanitarian crisis the likes of which we have not seen in a century in this country.

That it's arriving during the holidays, without a functioning federal government, a month away from 20 million Americans getting vaccinated, with billions in federal supports about to dry up, is a perverse collision of circumstances.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I think that something like 10% of the US population has diabetes. If so, I would find it very hard to believe that they would put tens of thousands of people through a vaccine trial and not end up with hundreds of diabetic folks taking the drug. They are looking for a representative sample of the population (with a slight oversampling in some groups that have been particularly susceptible to this virus), the notion that you would exclude 10% of the population from that sample seems bonkers to me and is enough of a deep flaw in the methodology that I think we would have heard about it by now.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I think that something like 10% of the US population has diabetes. If so, I would find it very hard to believe that they would put tens of thousands of people through a vaccine trial and not end up with hundreds of diabetic folks taking the drug. They are looking for a representative sample of the population (with a slight oversampling in some groups that have been particularly susceptible to this virus), the notion that you would exclude 10% of the population from that sample seems bonkers to me and is enough of a deep flaw in the methodology that I think we would have heard about it by now.
    I have a friend with an organ transplant, who was told by her doctor that organ recipients and pregnant women had not been specifically tested (for example). Which is why i asked.

Partly Orlando, FL partly heard Sandpoint, ID
    Don't know whether they had diabetics in the trial, but since none of the three is a live attenuated vaccine, there is no danger to diabetics. The issue with diabetics is similar to the issue with the elderly; will they mount a protective response?
    I haven't done any research into the matter, but as a diabetic(type 1, so far less prevalent and entirely possible not having been part of the trials)with kidney issues(including a stint on dialysis), I will be early in line for the vaccine(hyperactive/compromised immune system and all).

Early indication I saw on the news last night is that holiday air travel is down about 60% from last year, which isn't as good as it should be.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Early indication I saw on the news last night is that holiday air travel is down about 60% from last year, which isn't as good as it should be.
    My air travel is down 100%

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Corey View Post
    We are on the precipice of a humanitarian crisis the likes of which we have not seen in a century in this country.

That it's arriving during the holidays, without a functioning federal government, a month away from 20 million Americans getting vaccinated, with billions in federal supports about to dry up, is a perverse collision of circumstances.
    .... and, Happy Thanksgiving!

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    My air travel is down 100%
    Makes two of us and it’ll stay that way until I get one of the 95% effective vaccines.