Page 131 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 3181121129130131132133141181231631 ... LastLast
Results 2,601 to 2,620 of 22195
    Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Maybe this was already answered in this thread, but the US didn't initiate pandemic protocol for SARS or MERS so, presumably, the administration felt the coronavirus would peter out in the US just as those did. I'm in no way defending this administration or the CDC, I'm just asking what made this situation different than those situations at the time we learned of the virus, both from a medical standpoint and policy standpoint? And for the medical practitioners, what's the difference between coronavirus and SARS/MERS that makes it so much more difficult to control?
    I am far from an expert, but I think the biggest difference appears to be the transmissibility is so much greater. MERS and SARS just didn’t infect that many people. The Wuhan outbreak and spread to China alone infected like 4-5 times more people than MERS and SARS combined.

This virus

Quote Originally Posted by Rich View Post
    Maybe this was already answered in this thread, but the US didn't initiate pandemic protocol for SARS or MERS so, presumably, the administration felt the coronavirus would peter out in the US just as those did. I'm in no way defending this administration or the CDC, I'm just asking what made this situation different than those situations at the time we learned of the virus, both from a medical standpoint and policy standpoint? And for the medical practitioners, what's the difference between coronavirus and SARS/MERS that makes it so much more difficult to control?
    My understanding is that this virus is more transmissible than SARS and MERS and less deadly, so it's harder to control.

Edit: also, this virus can be transmitted to others while one is asymptomatic, so you can't screen people by symptoms, such as fever (as the US did at airports). https://www.vox.com/2020/2/20/211437...ansmission-how

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Why do lots of folks assume China is not telling the truth?
    Quote Originally Posted by curtis325 View Post
    Because China.
    When the coronavirus hit Wuhan, the government of China, starting in January, turned the whole place upside down. There is no evidence anything of that sort is going on now -- and China took coronavirus VERY seriously starting in January. and China is still carrying on lots of trade with the rest of the world. Moreover, there are still WHO officials in china and a major international community -- so it is likely that word would get out.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    When the coronavirus hit Wuhan, the government of China, starting in January, turned the whole place upside down. There is no evidence anything of that sort is going on now -- and China took coronavirus VERY seriously starting in January. and China is still carrying on lots of trade with the rest of the world. Moreover, there are still WHO officials in china and a major international community -- so it is likely that word would get out.
    Well stated, Sage. I’ve no reason to doubt China’s numbers.
    Bob Green

China

It seems that China doesn't believe its own numbers completely, because China has reclosed movie theaters after opening them earlier this week. https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood...rs-coronavirus

Well stated, Sage. I’ve no reason to doubt China’s numbers.
    Besides, it’s to their benefit to help end this pandemic. China would not be somehow exempted from the negative impact of a worldwide, pandemic-induced recession. I would think very much the opposite. Further, their scientists have been praised for sharing the viral genome very quickly with the rest of the world to help begin the development of a vaccine(s).
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Until it PERSONALLY affects a large percentage of people, a large swath of the nation doesn't believe the media or care about statistics/scientists.
    As in economics. When your neighbor is out of work, it's a recession. When you're out of work, it's a depression.

Why do lots of folks assume China is not telling the truth?
    History mainly, more so in economic numbers. They have been ginning up (and down) numbers for years. That’s why people question official numbers from the Chinese government. Most businesses analyst uses second indicators like power consumption or pollution levels to check the official numbers .

Also let’s not forget they downplayed the seriousness of this early. They censored social media to silence talk of this. They have the power to rewrite history in real time. The original whistle blower was silenced and his name sullied. Now he’s regarded as a hero. A dead hero.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-china-51403795
    Last edited by Kdogg; 03-28-2020 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Since I am getting "gonged" on this post, please read this article published on NBC News by western reporters, who are obviously talking to people living in Wuhan.

Oh, I get it now -- how stupid of me! Those being interviewed are props of the government -- even the American -- and people are still dying in the streets or in those "fake hospitals" they built overnight.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Dr. Anthony Fauci, who has been a straight shooter, is “really confident that recovered coronavirus patients will have immunity.”

That and the new 15 minute coronavirus test are the best news I have heard today.

Quammen

Some of you may remember that earlier in this thread, seemingly generations ago, I mentioned David Quammen's book, Spillover. He was on Weekend Edition this morning with Scott Simon. The one thing that surprises him about this pandemic: "I was surprised by one thing. I was surprised by how unprepared we were. The idea that a new virus, a coronavirus, might come to us from a wild animal, probably a bat, maybe in a wet market, oh, for instance, in China, none of that was surprising. That was all what sort of a composite of the potential events that scientists were telling me 10 years ago when I was researching my book."

https://www.gpbnews.org/post/david-q...ll-over-humans

Sorry if this has been posted before, but this visualization was new to me and I thought others might find it interesting:
    http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Sorry if this has been posted before, but this visualization was new to me and I thought others might find it interesting:
    http://91-divoc.com/pages/covid-visualization/
    Not only are we #1 in total cases, but #1 in the rate of growth of cases (measured from date reached 100 cases). Can't we be last in something this bad?

(Oops! Not quite accurate. Turkey reached 100 cases only eight days ago, and it appears to be just under 6,000.)
    Last edited by sagegrouse; 03-28-2020 at 06:58 PM. Reason: Added parenthetical
    Sage Grouse

About 150 feet in front of the Duke Chapel doors.
    Folks, please keep the political commentary out of this thread. We have specific guidelines about political content. Even the election"horse race" threads are meant to be non-partisan assessments on how current events are impacting the races. This thread should be about the Coronavirus and the impacts on society. Partisan commentary on the administration's response is out of bounds.
    JBDuke

Andre Dawkins: “People ask me if I can still shoot, and I ask them if they can still breathe. That’s kind of the same thing.”

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Let the elk, moose and deer graze it to perfection.
    All deer species are browsers, not grazers. They rarely eat grass, if ever..lol

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Ima gonna alert the Coast Guard...

They can't find me. 😁

As proof, I was out there all-day and I'm scorched. From the sun, not beer. 😁

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    The browser/grazer categorization is not a binary; it's a spectrum. Mule deer are perfectly capable of subsisting mostly on grasses and forbs, which can make them grazers. As preferred foods, however, they are browsers.

In this sense, DBR denizens are mostly browsers and not grazers.

There are some intensively grazed posts in this thread -- namely, anything to do with data or numbers -- so I'm just browsing (or is it grazing?) for on the ground information from anyone with first-hand or "anecdotal" information about what is happening out there in the wild.

"Amazing what a minute can do."

Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    If they are hungry enough they do... We the polite deer on Nara Park, Japan. They are used to bowing to get fed by tourist, now they are starving.

https://www.nytimes.com/aponline/2020/03/24/sports/ap-virus-outbreak-japan-deer-photo-gallery.html

Italy’s death toll up over 10,000, and the daily death rate is approaching 1,000 (1,800 yesterday and today).

We topped 2,000 deaths today, with nearly 10,000 new cases confirmed in the NY/NJ/CT area.