Page 9 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 789101119591095091009 ... LastLast
    Researchers at Los Alamos estimate that COVID-19’s R0 value is much higher than initially thought, somewhere between 4.7 and 6.6. They conclude that quarantining and contact tracing symptomatic patients is unlikely to be enough to prevent a pandemic.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    Researchers at Los Alamos estimate that COVID-19’s R0 value is much higher than initially thought, somewhere between 4.7 and 6.6. They conclude that quarantining and contact tracing symptomatic patients is unlikely to be enough to prevent a pandemic.
    "Initially, the basic reproductive number, R0, was estimated to be 2.2 to 2.7. Here we provide a new estimate of this quantity. We collected extensive individual case reports and estimated key epidemiology parameters, including the incubation period. Integrating these estimates and high-resolution real-time human travel and infection data with mathematical models, we estimated that the number of infected individuals during early epidemic double every 2.4 days, and the R0 value is likely to be between 4.7 and 6.6."

Two to three times as pathogenic as originally estimated. Ruh, roh.

Los Alamos knows what they're doing, they have aliens working there.

Are the aliens immune to COVID-19? Just curious.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Are the aliens immune to COVID-19? Just curious.
    They're probably wearing their spacesuits.

Quote Originally Posted by BD80 View Post
    Los Alamos knows what they're doing, they have aliens working there.
    I worked on a project a couple decades ago trying to develop a technology invented at Los Alamos. It wasn't robust enough in the "wild" to work.

A couple of coronavirus deaths so far in Iran... What's weird is that they were in the city of Qoms, which apparently does not have an international airport. What's also weird is that there were no known cases of coronavirus before these deaths.

So if you've got 2 deaths and a mortality rate of 2%, that would suggest ~100 cases of completely untracked coronavirus victims going about their business in Iran.

Up to 8 deaths now in Iran, many more cases. Qom getting put into military lockdown.

Woman in Canada diagnosed with recent travel history to Iran.

https://bc.ctvnews.ca/b-c-s-new-coro...iran-1.4821112

More than 200 cases in South Korea

NPR story on the South Korea outbreak, and also outbreaks in Chinese prisons. https://www.npr.org/2020/02/21/80800...in-south-korea

Without any particular expertise in this area, it strikes me that the scariest aspect of this is the continued uncertainty. China apparently changed their counting method again so, while I had no doubt we weren't getting real number out of China to begin with, it just seems like we don't have a real handle on the scope and scale of the situation yet.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Without any particular expertise in this area, it strikes me that the scariest aspect of this is the continued uncertainty. China apparently changed their counting method again so, while I had no doubt we weren't getting real number out of China to begin with, it just seems like we don't have a real handle on the scope and scale of the situation yet.
    Just assume it's global at this point.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Just assume it's global at this point.
    Yesterday it was reported that there were all of a sudden six cases in serious condition in Italy. So far about 20% of known cases have resulted in patients in serious condition; that suggests a few dozen more blissfully unaware, unquarantined, and undiagnosed cases in the area spreading the virus the last for the last week or two.

I'm starting to think the genie's out of the bottle with this thing.

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Yesterday it was reported that there were all of a sudden six cases in serious condition in Italy. So far about 20% of known cases have resulted in patients in serious condition; that suggests a few dozen more blissfully unaware, unquarantined, and undiagnosed cases in the area spreading the virus the last for the last week or two.

I'm starting to think the genie's out of the bottle with this thing.
    Ditto with Iran. The first two cases they announced were dead. With a fatality rate around 2%, that leaves 98 others out there spreading. Here is what the Ministry of Health in Iran has said about it.

“Based on existing reports, the spread of coronavirus started in Qom and with attention to people’s travels has now reached several cities in the country including Tehran, Babol, Arak, Isfahan, Rasht and other cities,” health ministry official Minou Mohrez said, according to the official IRNA news agency.

“It’s possible that it exists in all cities in Iran,” she said.

CDC press conference

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/...es/4829278002/

“We’re not seeing community spread here in the United States, yet, but it’s very possible, even likely, that it may eventually happen,” she said. “Our goal continues to be slowing the introduction of the virus into the U.S. This buys us more time to prepare communities for more cases and possibly sustained spread.”

Likely is a strong word. Can’t say I’m surprised that the spread is likely, but I’m slightly surprised that the CDC is admitting this so early.

So -- time to start scaling back attendance at places with large groups of people?

Not yet

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    So -- time to start scaling back attendance at places with large groups of people?
    Not until you’ve got more specific instances of community infection, but I expect that will be soon.

Guess I'm glad I have a bunch of M95 masks left from the summer mission trip.

Niece Elizabeth is helping with CDC screening at SeaTac but we don't know exactly what she is doing.

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    Guess I'm glad I have a bunch of M95 masks left from the summer mission trip.
    I'm gonna look odd at the gym and at church wearing those, but safety first. . . .

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Not until you’ve got more specific instances of community infection, but I expect that will be soon.
    I hear ya, but -- if it's coming soon, why not start now instead of waiting to find out that my community is infected?

Because

I'm gonna look odd at the gym and at church wearing those, but safety first. . . .

I hear ya, but -- if it's coming soon, why not start now instead of waiting to find out that my community is infected?
    Human nature.

Since I already avoid such places like the plague, it will be no problem if the actual plague hits closer to home.

South Korea had 200 new cases yesterday, with over a thousand more suspected. Italy is up to 54 confirmed now, which is around where South Korea was just a few days ago. Several of the infected Koreans just returned from a trip to Israel, so now Israel has to start monitoring. Iran has had five deaths, which suggests hundreds of cases there. After perusing CNN and Fox News, I'm not sure why this isn't the top news story.