Page 283 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 183233273281282283284285293333383783 ... LastLast
Results 5,641 to 5,660 of 22195
    Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Okay, back to COVID-19.

Sheltering in place brought on by the pandemic has led me to consider the nuances of brownies more thoroughly. I would agree that the crisp/crunch on the edges of brownies is a plus, a nice counterpoint to the chewy interior. It must be just a hint and highlight however. You don't want a crispy calamity.
    And yet, can anything brownie truly be a calamity?

20861801.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    Trump threatens to move GOP convention out of NC if Gov Cooper cannot immediately guarantee they will be allowed to pack the venue to the rafters.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/05/25/polit...ion/index.html

At current course and speed, based on the reported statewide data trends, I can’t see how a tightly packed convention center would be conducive to reducing the spread of COVID. Obviously, it could be quite the opposite. As a North Carolinian in the at-risk category, I sure hope the governor continues to make decisions, including this one, based on best available pandemic data and known science.
    Even if or when our/any governor makes any decision/s like that, there's little indication the citizens will follow as evidenced by the 4000 Covidiots at the Alamance County Raceway yesterday and the thousands on FL (or NC) beaches.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

A couple of new resources/articles:

This one is similar to the Erin Bromage blog post linked a couple times in this thread:

https://www.sltrib.com/news/2020/05/23/your-guide-how/

This one shows down at a county level, a predicted risk level:

https://www.aei.org/covid-2019-action-tracker/

It is provided by the American Enterprise Institute.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    The Press Briefing that is going live soon from the WH will include new guidelines from the CDC concerning church reopenings, according to Fox News.

Here are the guidelines: https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019...ith-based.html

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Even if or when our/any governor makes any decision/s like that, there's little indication the citizens will follow as evidenced by the 4000 Covidiots at the Alamance County Raceway yesterday and the thousands on FL (or NC) beaches.
    How many ICU beds are there in Alamance County? Asking for, y’know, June.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    I just meant that some platforms might have gotten more traction. Bernie's worker rights? Yang's UBI? Healthcare debates?

All those things look different from this side of the COVID-19 looking glass.
    The extra $600 has truly been a lifeline for many who badly need it.

But, given the number of help wanted signs I see at most reopening retail locations, plus the people I know personally who are content to sit at home making more than they could working, it seems the unintended consequences of Yang's UBI are clearly on display.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    When we order take out food these days, we bring it home and immediately pop it in the oven. Temperatures about 170-degrees will kill the virus after a minute or so (we set the oven to 200 or 250). So, we just give our take-out food a robust reheating and then we know it is fine to eat. Voila!

Obviously, salads and other things that cannot be heated are not being ordered by this household.
    Just curious your reference for that temperature and time? All I have found on this so far is:

https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-heat-kill-virus-1498074

Which squares with your using 200F but suggests a significantly longer time.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    How many ICU beds are there in Alamance County? Asking for, y’know, June.
    Yep, I posted Saturday and/or Sunday that I'm gonna start watching NC COVID case #s real closely starting about June 7ish.

Without divulging your "undisclosed" location, have you noted any dramatic increase in your state's #s in the last week or so?

The WHO has suspended a clinical trial of hydroxychloroquine because of concerns that the drug is too harmful for folks to be taking.

In a press briefing, WHO director-general Tedros Adhanom Ghebreyesus said that in light of a paper published last week in the Lancet that showed people taking hydroxychloroquine were at higher risk of death and heart problems, there would be “a temporary pause” on the hydroxychloroquine arm of its global clinical trial.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Just curious your reference for that temperature and time? All I have found on this so far is:

https://www.newsweek.com/coronavirus-heat-kill-virus-1498074

Which squares with your using 200F but suggests a significantly longer time.
    Thanks, that is more up to date info and is useful to know. 200-degrees for 15 minutes -- that's the guidance for take out food.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    Thanks, that is more up to date info and is useful to know. 200-degrees for 15 minutes -- that's the guidance for take out food.
    Go to the store and buy a box of Triscuit crackers. Sounds like you'd get the same thing.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

The usual caveats apply (small sample size, no peer review, etc) but a good sign that retesting positive after being cleared doesn't mean one has active virus particles.

Covid-19 Patients Not Infectious After 11 Days: Singapore Study

Yep, I posted Saturday and/or Sunday that I'm gonna start watching NC COVID case #s real closely starting about June 7ish.

Without divulging your "undisclosed" location, have you noted any dramatic increase in your state's #s in the last week or so?
    Hard to say, because we fudge the numbers down here. But they are forecasting a mild-ish spike over the next 14 days:

ED83AD40-2583-446B-A0FA-EF2B89DF244E.jpg

And for my fellow Peach Staters, if you want to check county by county: https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report

Thankfully, my part of the state is very low and {knock on wood} projected to stay so.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    NC, and Charlotte, has already dealt with dealing with losses from sporting events, concerts, and other public corporate gatherings. If it were the ONLY event cancelled or cut back in the last few and coming months, it could be a bigger deal, but honestly, those folks have been showing their survival skills for a while now.
    Also, there is this little snippet. It's obviously a bit dated now, since it was from 2004, but it's interesting.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...north-carolina
    First of all, I'm glad that on Memorial Day when we are honoring those who died for our country with COVID-19 shutting down America and killing tens of thousands of people, this was what he led his speech with...

Anyway, I don't see how he can follow through on this threat. What other cities want to host this? And are able to host a huge event like this a few months notice?

As the article noted, these events are money losers anyway. The security costs are ridiculous. Particularly given Trump's history of not covering his share - I'm not sure who traditionally covers the costs of national conventions but one would think that the party would pitch in.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...d-bills-039631

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    First of all, I'm glad that on Memorial Day when we are honoring those who died for our country with COVID-19 shutting down America and killing tens of thousands of people, this was what he led his speech with...

Anyway, I don't see how he can follow through on this threat. What other cities want to host this? And are able to host a huge event like this a few months notice?

As the article noted, these events are money losers anyway. The security costs are ridiculous. Particularly given Trump's history of not covering his share - I'm not sure who traditionally covers the costs of national conventions but one would think that the party would pitch in.

https://www.politico.com/news/2019/1...d-bills-039631
    I don't think the threat is really about (not) holding the convention, I think it's just a political move to tweak governor Cooper and stir up the NC base, a state which I imagine will be closely contested.

Update — just went to our local grocery store, I bet only 10%-15% of people had masks. And of those, one lady had it below her nose and one employee was wearing it in his chin.

This may not end well.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Update — just went to our local grocery store, I bet only 10%-15% of people had masks. And of those, one lady had it below her nose and one employee was wearing it in his chin.

This may not end well.
    Yep. Might get pretty ugly again in 2-4 weeks.

“Damn the torpedoes, full speed ahead . . . .”

My wife said the exact same thing to me after giving me my first COVID at home haircut.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    I went to my local grocery store last night and everybody was wearing a mask, properly. Plexiglas "windows" have been installed between the cashiers and the customers even though if you pay with a credit/debit card, you don't have to directly interact with them. They still have employees bagging your groceries though and they aren't behind plexiglas but they are wearing masks. You can't bring your own bags anymore and they've gone back to using plastic.