Page 546 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 464464965365445455465475485565966461046 ... LastLast
Results 10,901 to 10,920 of 22195
    Depending upon what website you use, we may have just passed 90k new cases in a single day. Passing the old high by 9k cases. Which was set the day before.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Depending upon what website you use, we may have just passed 90k new cases in a single day. Passing the old high by 9k cases. Which was set the day before.
    Worldometers has the US at 91,500 for today, Thursday, October 29. Seven-day average is 77,100 -- both records, by a substantial amount.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by MarkD83 View Post
    Shouldn’t this statement be in the presidential election thread?
    Ouch, low, low blow.

Wish I woulda thought of it first.
    "That young man has an extra step on his ladder the rest of us just don't have."

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    We were warned of a "credible threat" against Duke last night and today, aimed at the Med Center, in particular. So far, all systems appear to be remaining operational.
    It's confirmed as a cyber attack, FBI mulling around...they may have to pay a ransom, but doubt they'll publicize that. yeah, seems this could be avoided...

Remdesivir

Scathing article on the approval of Remdesivir by the FDA and EU: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...-covid-19-drug

"The EU and U.S. decisions pave the way for Gilead’s drug into two major markets, both with soaring COVID-19 cases.

But both decisions baffled scientists who have closely watched the clinical trials of remdesivir unfold over the past 6 months—and who have many questions about remdesivir’s worth. At best, one large, well-designed study found remdesivir modestly reduced the time to recover from COVID-19 in hospitalized patients with severe illness. A few smaller studies found no impact of treatment on the disease whatsoever. Then, on 15 October—in this month’s decidedly unfavorable news for Gilead—the fourth and largest controlled study delivered what some believed was a coup de grâce: The World Health Organization’s (WHO’s) Solidarity trial showed that remdesivir does not reduce mortality or the time COVID-19 patients take to recover."

Just checked international stats again. France is doing poorly; the outlier is Belgium -- which is several times worse than either the US or France.

Adjusted for population:

USA 331.6 million
    France 65.3 million
    Belgium 11.6 million

France has a seven-day average of new cases of 40,500. Adjusting for differences in population (US = 5x), that equates to 206,000 cases in the US, which is itself averaging 77,100. Seven-day average for deaths is 248, equivalent to 1,260 in the US, which is averaging 825.

Belgium has a new-case average of 16,400. But Belgium only has 11.6 million people. Adjusting that number yields a US equivalent of 469,000 -- six times the US average. On average deaths, Belgium is experiencing 90 per day, equivalent to 2,573 in the US -- three times our average.
    Sage Grouse

'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Just checked international stats again. France is doing poorly; the outlier is Belgium -- which is several times worse than either the US or France.

Adjusted for population:

USA 331.6 million
    France 65.3 million
    Belgium 11.6 million

France has a seven-day average of new cases of 40,500. Adjusting for differences in population (US = 5x), that equates to 206,000 cases in the US, which is itself averaging 77,100. Seven-day average for deaths is 248, equivalent to 1,260 in the US, which is averaging 825.

Belgium has a new-case average of 16,400. But Belgium only has 11.6 million people. Adjusting that number yields a US equivalent of 469,000 -- six times the US average. On average deaths, Belgium is experiencing 90 per day, equivalent to 2,573 in the US -- three times our average.
    By the way, North and South Dakota reported today 3,200 cases and 25 deaths for states with a combined population of 1.6 million. Extrapolates to 640,000 cases and 5,000 deaths for the US as a whole. In other words, five to seven times the US average rates.
    Sage Grouse

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Scathing article on the approval of Remdesivir by the FDA and EU: https://www.sciencemag.org/news/2020...-covid-19-drug

"The EU and U.S. decisions pave the way for Gilead’s drug into two major markets, both with soaring COVID-19 cases.

But both decisions baffled scientists who have closely watched the clinical trials of remdesivir unfold over the past 6 months—and who have many questions about remdesivir’s worth. At best, one large, well-designed study found remdesivir modestly reduced the time to recover from COVID-19 in hospitalized patients with severe illness. A few smaller studies found no impact of treatment on the disease whatsoever. Then, on 15 October—in this month’s decidedly unfavorable news for Gilead—the fourth and largest controlled study delivered what some believed was a coup de grâce: The World Health Organization’s (WHO’s) Solidarity trial showed that remdesivir does not reduce mortality or the time COVID-19 patients take to recover."
    Yep, and if I remember correctly, the approval came about 1-3 days on the heels of the latest study that showed virtually no benefit.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Happy Halloween!

Quote Originally Posted by DukieInKansas View Post
    That carries mandatory minimums.

Well, I guess it depends on what kind of rock.

Yes and no

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    Yep, and if I remember correctly, the approval came about 1-3 days on the heels of the latest study that showed virtually no benefit.
    According to article, the EU decision was shortly before the study was released, but the FDA approval was a week after the release. Hard to understand.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    That carries mandatory minimums.

Well, I guess it depends on what kind of rock.
    Hey! I'm a geologist. Rocks rock!

By the way, North and South Dakota reported today 3,200 cases and 25 deaths for states with a combined population of 1.6 million. Extrapolates to 640,000 cases and 5,000 deaths for the US as a whole. In other words, five to seven times the US average rates.
    In other words, almost nothing...
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Six Figures!

Worldometers says the US had 101,461 new cases yesterday.

Too much winning.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Worldometers says the US had 101,461 new cases yesterday.

Too much winning.
    You would think we would get tired of so much winning.

In an apparent display of solidarity, North and South Dakota have reported an equal amount of cases today at 1,433. Winning in new ways now...
    Screenshot_20201031-141039_Chrome.jpg

Boris

Boris and the Brits lock it down for a month:https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54763956

No ales at the Coal Hole for you, mates...

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Boris and the Brits lock it down for a month:https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-54763956

No ales at the Coal Hole for you, mates...
    Less of a lockdown than I have in the United States. No schools open by me (still will be open in England)... bars/restaurants also all closed by me indefinitely. Of course, our restrictions are very different across the country with no consistency.

My wife met her first hard core virus denier this past Friday. A funeral home director of all people. I guess it makes sense. The counties that funeral home serve have had a total of 36 deaths.