Page 130 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 3080120128129130131132140180230630 ... LastLast
Results 2,581 to 2,600 of 22200
    Quote Originally Posted by Devilwin View Post
    Heard that they are closing NC beaches..This includes surf fishing..ugh
    Public beaches maybe. But if you put a boat in on the Cape fear river at a place that runs through your buddy's farm, and then ride out to salt water to an island, no one knows. 🤫

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    ...pretty soon we can sit on the deck, sip cocktails, hope for the best (I bet some of you are well into that time of year now). And maybe the increased warmth will temporarily, at least, slow down the virus
    I am planting seeds today to get my garden started.
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    I am planting seeds today to get my garden started.
    all we have are some daffodil shoots about two inches high.

Friend who has been vacationing on Topsail for six weeks says all short term renters have been given the boot for the time being, he somehow got himself reclassified as a contractor so he can stay.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post
    Public beaches maybe. But if you put a boat in on the Cape fear river at a place that runs through your buddy's farm, and then ride out to salt water to an island, no one knows. 🤫
    Ima gonna alert the Coast Guard...

[redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by left_hook_lacey View Post

You sir are living the pirate’s life!

Quote Originally Posted by fisheyes View Post
    Which brings to mind what one of my infectious disease docs said to me in medical school: "Viruses are God's way of communicating with all forms of life." What's being said?
    I was taught that viruses are "bad news wrapped in protein." Makes more sense to me.

Today’s numbers in Virginia.

Cumulative: 739 positives/9,166 tests equals 8.0%

Last 24 hour period: 135 positives/1,829 tests equals 7.3%

Death toll is 17 with 99 people currently hospitalized.
    Bob Green

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill

Watching Gov. Cuomo's news conference now.

NY State has bought 7,000 ambu bags (bag-valve systems) to manually ventilate people if they run out of ventilators. He is training the National Guard to manually ventilate people with these devices. If this comes to pass that we need the National Guard to manually ventilate people we are in deep trouble. Someone has to squeeze the bag 12-22 times a minute, every minute, every hour, every day that person needs to be ventilated. It is not remotely possible to do this. I saw this up close in Viet Nam when I did a medical mission in Ho Chi Minh City. There, if you can't afford the ventilator, your family member will bag you while you need to be on a ventilator. If that person falls asleep, you die. If this comes to pass we are deep into Third World medicine. Hard to believe.

I did not realize this but the US and South Korea each discovered the Coronavirus in country on exactly the same date, January 20th. How they each responded is a story of polar opposites and , some would say, a catastrophic miscalculation by the Trump administration. Here is a very sobering article from The Guardian that looks at the differences: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ealth-disaster

Within a week of its first confirmed case, South Korea’s disease control agency had summoned 20 private companies to the medical equivalent of a war-planning summit and told them to develop a test for the virus at lightning speed. A week after that, the first diagnostic test was approved and went into battle, identifying infected individuals who could then be quarantined to halt the advance of the disease.

Some 357,896 tests later, the country has more or less won the coronavirus war. On Friday only 91 new cases were reported in a country of more than 50 million.

The US response tells a different story. Two days after the first diagnosis in Washington state, Donald Trump went on air on CNBC and bragged: “We have it totally under control. It’s one person coming from China. It’s going to be just fine.”
    The article contains a lot of scientists just slamming the US Government's response to this crisis. I hope folks do not find this too partisan. I actually think the non-partisan CDC bears a tremendous amount of blame for their utterly failed testing strategy.

-Jason "we are going to have the worst outbreak of this virus, that seems all but assured" Evans
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    I did not realize this but the US and South Korea each discovered the Coronavirus in country on exactly the same date, January 20th. How they each responded is a story of polar opposites and , some would say, a catastrophic miscalculation by the Trump administration. Here is a very sobering article from The Guardian that looks at the differences: https://www.theguardian.com/us-news/...ealth-disaster

The article contains a lot of scientists just slamming the US Government's response to this crisis. I hope folks do not find this too partisan. I actually think the non-partisan CDC bears a tremendous amount of blame for their utterly failed testing strategy.

-Jason "we are going to have the worst outbreak of this virus, that seems all but assured" Evans
    No. Not even close. Iran. Russia. India. Most of Africa. Argentina. Brazil are all ready to hold out beer.

But it's going to be bad. Some folks still in denial.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    And then when you turn 30, your life clock crystal starts to glow and you know it's time for Carousel.
    I hate when my life clock crystal runs down.
    (I need to spread some sporks OPK)

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    No. Not even close. Iran. Russia. India. Most of Africa. Argentina. Brazil are all ready to hold out beer.

The more appropriate phrasing would probably be, "the worst outbreak in a country that has the capacity and expertise to have known/done better."

the testing bunglement was absolutely critically important.

If you believe China's official numbers.

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    If you believe China's official numbers.
    Why do lots of folks assume China is not telling the truth?
    Bob Green

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    The more appropriate phrasing would probably be, "the worst outbreak in a country that has the capacity and expertise to have known/done better."
    As world renowned as the CDC is supposed to be, I agree. This is embarrassing, made even worse by the fact our country disagrees on whether or not our response had been good.

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Green View Post
    Why do lots of folks assume China is not telling the truth?
    Because China.

Maybe this was already answered in this thread, but the US didn't initiate pandemic protocol for SARS or MERS so, presumably, the administration felt the coronavirus would peter out in the US just as those did. I'm in no way defending this administration or the CDC, I'm just asking what made this situation different than those situations at the time we learned of the virus, both from a medical standpoint and policy standpoint? And for the medical practitioners, what's the difference between coronavirus and SARS/MERS that makes it so much more difficult to control?
    Rich
    "Failure is Not a Destination"
    Coach K on the Dan Patrick Show, December 22, 2016

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post

Yeah, sorry. I did not mean to get into a debate about the degrees of awfulness. There is no question that this is going to be truly terrible in terms of deaths, illness, and economic devastation. Measuring it up against others really isn’t very productive. It’s really, really bad. We can leave it at that.