Page 6 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 4567816561065061006 ... LastLast
    https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/03/w...-hospital.html

quite impressive regardless of what facilities are inside...my bathroom renovation took that long.

A second cruise ship has been quarantined with 10 confirmed cases.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    A second cruise ship has been quarantined with 10 confirmed cases.
    Another 10 cases on this ship. Partners confined to their quarters due the duration of the quarantine.

Another 10 cases on this ship. Partners confined to their quarters due the duration of the quarantine.
    being confined to a room in a cruise ship, interior room with no windows, is about as close to a real nightmare as I can think of...I think I'd be tempted to swim for it.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    being confined to a room in a cruise ship, interior room with no windows, is about as close to a real nightmare as I can think of...I think I'd be tempted to swim for it.
    ...Yeah. I would make the case that the people who were quarantined should have been moved to windowed rooms. At the very least I hope they did everything they could to make the rooms as accommodating as possible (free TV, telephone, whatever).

Some people pay a lot of money for the privilege to call that a vacation!

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Some people pay a lot of money for the privilege to call that a vacation!
    Definitely seem to be two major schools of thought vis a vis cruises: those who vow to avoid them at all cost (raising my hand) and those who can't get enough of them.
    The descriptions of the Norovirus cruises are especially horrifying...

Chinese Doctor who tried to get the word out dies from coronavirus

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...cbc_story.html

Very sad story. A doctor in China who tried to sound the alarm on the disease and was detained by the police for "rumor mongering" died of the disease.

He was only 34.

41 more cases for 61 total.

https://www.abc.net.au/news/2020-02-...-ship/11943302

Why is it every time I look at this thread title, I see PlaqueWatch and not PlagueWatch?
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    Why is it every time I look at this thread title, I see PlaqueWatch and not PlagueWatch?
    Because you feel guilty for not flossing often enough?

Because you feel guilty for not flossing often enough?
    LOL. Different type of plaque .
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

Apparently there are locally transmitted cases in Hong Kong and Macau now, and there are rumors of roadblocks around Shenzhen. Hyundai is stopping production in Korea because it can't get parts. Commodity prices are dropping. The number of people in serious / critical condition in Hubei went from 3K to 4K in a single day, which suggests that some things are being undercounted.

In conclusion, I predict another record high for stocks tomorrow.

Definitely seem to be two major schools of thought vis a vis cruises: those who vow to avoid them at all cost (raising my hand) and those who can't get enough of them.
    My brother and his wife were on one of those several years ago. Spent 6 of 7 days confined to their cabin. Nightmare.
    “Coach said no 3s.” - Zion on The Block

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    Apparently there are locally transmitted cases in Hong Kong and Macau now, and there are rumors of roadblocks around Shenzhen. Hyundai is stopping production in Korea because it can't get parts. Commodity prices are dropping. The number of people in serious / critical condition in Hubei went from 3K to 4K in a single day, which suggests that some things are being undercounted.

Many companies in China are refusing to accept shipments of raw materials at the port of entry, claiming acts of God.

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...eure-quicktake

I read somewhere that 80-90% of Chinese manufacturing is currently offline due to quarantine efforts. If true, this has the makings of a global cluster fudge.

More on the measures being taken in Wuhan. I keep coming back to trying to quarantine a city of 11 million. It just seems like an impossible task but One that only China could conceivably pull off

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/02/06/w...gtype=Homepage

I feel like most of what I could get from a cruise I could get from an island resort trip or something.

Suggestion

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post

Merge this thread with the investing thread!

A lot of very interesting articles this morning on the Chinese public's backlash against the Chinese authorities...lots of social media calls for free speech...

I'll be coming through Dulles passport security in several hours. Count on me for an on-site report about health security. Will likely be slightly hungover so wish me luck!
    Nothing incites bodily violence quicker than a Duke fan turning in your direction and saying 'scoreboard.'