Page 667 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 167567617657665666667668669677717767 ... LastLast
Results 13,321 to 13,340 of 22195
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Not quite.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Not quite.
    Check again.

That did it.

Just realized that I will be racing home from my first dose next Saturday afternoon to see the Carolina game. So my short-term reaction to the vaccine will not be scientifically significant as my physical and mental health will be largely determined by the outcome of the game.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    Just realized that I will be racing home from my first dose next Saturday afternoon to see the Carolina game. So my short-term reaction to the vaccine will not be scientifically significant as my physical and mental health will be largely determined by the outcome of the game.
    You send to sign up for the does-adrenaline-impact-vaccine-recovery-study.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyNotCrazie View Post
    You’re not worried that watching the game will dampen your immune response?

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    You’re not worried that watching the game will dampen your immune response?
    Depends on the result though, no?

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Depends on the result though, no?
    The journey might be more problematic than the destination.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Thanks for the link. I didn't make it all the way through but did hear the part where he discussed the differences between the vaccines. Perhaps I should go back in this thread and re-read what rsvman wrote also. But before I do that, I will say that in listening to the messaging from Dr. Ohl, even though he tried to address the issue head on, I'll give him a D+ on making the case for J&J over the mRNA vaccines. As they are infectious disease experts and not economists or marketers, I don't fault them. They view the situation a bit differently than the average self-interested person.

So, this is the issue as I see it. Up to this point, the mRNA vaccines with their 95% efficacy are being viewed like this:

Attachment 12622
    (2020 Corvette for those that don't know, incredible car by the way both in looks and I hear in driving. Many car aficionados are shocked that GM could produce such a soul stirring product)

The J&J vaccine with its 70% efficacy looks like this in comparison.

Attachment 12623
    (2020 Chevy Malibu, a good car that does what you need it to do, though CR says the reliability appears to have slipped from its very reliable '14-'15 models)

In the vaccine scenario, these vehicles come at no cost to the purchaser, so one can have a Corvette or a Malibu. Which would you take for the price of $0?

There are obviously lots of complicating factors such as availability, this analogy was built on the simple premise that performance is the only criteria to evaluate on. But that is the second order issue that occurs when 95% efficacy rates pop up first and that is used to convince vaccine skeptics that they should get it. Also, glossing over mild and moderate cases may serve the focus of public health and infectious disease experts with the laudable goal of reducing healthcare system stress, it doesn't always square with individual preference. This isn't a problem unique to the US:

Merkel says she won't take AstraZeneca's COVID-19 vaccine because she's too old, as 1.4 million jabs are left unused

Thomas Colson, Feb 26, 2021, 6:34 AM

The chancellor said she would not get the vaccine because it had not been approved for people over 65 in Germany.

"I am 66 years old and do not belong to the recommended group for AstraZeneca," she told the paper.

Recent trials in Scotland have linked AstraZeneca's vaccine with a dramatic drop in the risk of hospitalization among older people.

https://www.businessinsider.com/ange...vaccine-2021-2

Africa not 'walking away' from AstraZeneca vaccine, CDC says

By Alexander Winning, Olivia Kumwenda-Mtambo

JOHANNESBURG (Reuters) - The African Union (AU) will not be “walking away” from AstraZeneca’s COVID-19 vaccine but will target its use in countries that have not reported cases of the variant dominant in South Africa, the head of its disease control body said on Thursday.

The comments come after South Africa paused the rollout of the vaccine because of preliminary trial data showing it offered minimal protection against mild to moderate disease caused by the 501Y.V2 variant dominant in the country.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-h...-idUSKBN2AB0Q4
    If you are presented both at the same time you take the Vette, but if it’s Malibu today vs Vette next month, well, I have places to go and need the wheels so I’ll take whatever.

I just agreed to go see Nomadland at the Alamo Drafthouse in Raleigh this evening. I'm excited since this will be my first trip to a anywhere public other than trips to the grocery store (only twice), dentist and docs in over a year. I'm not worried about my own health since I received my 2nd dose of Pfizer a month ago. I'm also not worried I will spread it since I'm fully vaccinated and have been very strict about my own exposure.

However my friend (and yes, that is all) is in her mid-30's and hasn't gotten the vaccine! I urged her to reconsider going to the movie but she says she is stir crazy, thinks the risk is worth it and is going with or without me. So my question is - am I an enabler by agreeing to go along? Or should I just go and enjoy the movie? I obviously think the latter (or I wouldn't have accepted) but was wondering if there is something I am missing. What would you guys do?

Is she retired?
    Yes. Sister Anne is also.

Quote Originally Posted by throatybeard View Post
    My wife has been back at school since Veterans Day, there's no testing, Missouri bounces back and forth between the 49th and 50th vax rate in the US, and the state has purposely undersupplied the two cities in the state with the largest ethnic minority populations. Two staff at her school have died. The state's COVID response is completely morally bankrupt.

It makes you want to move away, clear out of the country.
    They have kept that quiet. I have not seen any announcement by the district.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I just agreed to go see Nomadland at the Alamo Drafthouse in Raleigh this evening. I'm excited since this will be my first trip to a anywhere public other than trips to the grocery store (only twice), dentist and docs in over a year. I'm not worried about my own health since I received my 2nd dose of Pfizer a month ago. I'm also not worried I will spread it since I'm fully vaccinated and have been very strict about my own exposure.

However my friend (and yes, that is all) is in her mid-30's and hasn't gotten the vaccine! I urged her to reconsider going to the movie but she says she is stir crazy, thinks the risk is worth it and is going with or without me. So my question is - am I an enabler by agreeing to go along? Or should I just go and enjoy the movie? I obviously think the latter (or I wouldn't have accepted) but was wondering if there is something I am missing. What would you guys do?
    I just noticed this was from yesterday (and adjusted my response). If you did were you comfortable? I'm generally comfortable eating in restaurants when spaced out but we tend not to linger. Tough thing about the draft house is that people will not have masks on indoors (eating and drinking) and because it's a moving will be exposed for a longer length of time. I think I'd be more OK going to a regular theater where it's less about the eating/drinking and people might do a better job with their masks. Haven't been to a theater or a gym in about a year now...

^ we're starting to think about post injection plans, and just don't find the notion of sitting in a restaurant with a mask on to be enticing...we'll keep waiting, try some outdoor dining, perhaps.

Quote Originally Posted by elvis14 View Post
    I just noticed this was from yesterday (and adjusted my response). If you did were you comfortable? I'm generally comfortable eating in restaurants when spaced out but we tend not to linger. Tough thing about the draft house is that people will not have masks on indoors (eating and drinking) and because it's a moving will be exposed for a longer length of time. I think I'd be more OK going to a regular theater where it's less about the eating/drinking and people might do a better job with their masks. Haven't been to a theater or a gym in about a year now...
    I felt very comfortable because the theater was largely empty -- only 8 people in the audience, counting us. We were seated very far apart and staff was always masked. Masks were down when eating which was most of the movie because of popcorn, but the theater was large and there wasn't much talking so the aerosol risk seemed low. I also saw staff sanitizing seats both before and during the movie. However I don't know how representative the tiny attendance was for current times and how much was due to Nomadland not being a blockbuster draw. I'm sure it was a combination of both.

As far as the movie - it was a good movie (more of a tone poem actually) and who doesn't love Frances McDormand? But imo it wasn't close to being the Best Drama of 2020 and I was shocked when I saw afterward that GG gave it that accolade. I recommend the film but it wouldn't be in my top 10 for the year. Might be in my top 15 though.

So, I had afternoon tea last Friday - my first adventure in a restaurant since last March. Felt safe enough, until someone the next table over (~10 or so feet away) suddenly started coughing. At one point it was a wet hacking cough. SERIOUSLY?!?!? WTF is wrong with people? I'm glad I am vaccinated, but still. Thinking about hiding under the covers another six months.

Got an email today that our production of Romeo&Juliet that was supposed to open March 27, 2020 is now tentatively scheduled to open in September. Rehearsals start up again at the end of March, once a month until production dates firm up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Got an email today that our production of Romeo&Juliet that was supposed to open March 27, 2020 is now tentatively scheduled to open in September. Rehearsals start up again at the end of March, once a month until production dates firm up.
    Is the the Gounod opera, the Prokofiev ballet, the Tchaikovsky tone poem or just the straight-up Shakespeare original?

Just curious.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Is the the Gounod opera, the Prokofiev ballet, the Tchaikovsky tone poem or just the straight-up Shakespeare original?

Just curious.
    Straight up Shakespeare. I'm doing a pants role and playing Friar Laurence.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    If you are presented both at the same time you take the Vette, but if it’s Malibu today vs Vette next month, well, I have places to go and need the wheels so I’ll take whatever.
    I waffle between Malibu and Corvette.

I read this yesterday from a few days ago:

"FDA researchers conducted a new analysis of how frequently volunteers in the study were hospitalized for Covid. When researchers counted cases 28 days after vaccination, there were zero hospitalizations in the vaccine arm and 16 in the placebo arm. For the full analysis set starting with the first dose, there were six hospitalizations for those who received the vaccine and 42 for those who did not."

https://www.statnews.com/2021/02/24/...inst-covid-19/

What the don't explain is why to ignore the first 28 days after vaccination. Perhaps to equate to the ModernaPfizer timeline? I don't understand how you can ignore the 6 hospitalizations.