Page 296 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 196246286294295296297298306346396796 ... LastLast
Results 5,901 to 5,920 of 22195
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    What gets my goat is that the folks who want the economy to open up the most seem to be the people who are least concerned about slow the spread (wear a darned face covering people!) and thus will be the folks that cause a second shutdown.

This isn't really that hard. Wear a face covering, keep the economy open.
    Yes. People aren't saying "open things up! We can wear masks, wash out hands and social distance!" They are saying "open things up! I want Applebee's and the flu is more dangerous."

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Yes. People aren't saying "open things up! We can wear masks, wash out hands and social distance!" They are saying "open things up! I want Applebee's and the flu is more dangerous."
    Denial ain't just a river in Egypt.

Quote Originally Posted by Tripping William View Post
    I have a sinking feeling these recent mass gatherings in larger US cities may prompt an uptick in rona-spread.
    Yep. Sad. I believe they (not me) call them covidiots here.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Jason,

I'm with you but on the opposite side of the spectrum (mostly). I'm still appalled by the coverage. I can't even talk to my parents about things anymore because all I hear are Fox news talking points echoed back at me.
    As a Liberal, I've unfollowed many liberal friends on FB because what they post is so extremely to the left that common sense has been chucked out the window. I'm sure your parents are very smart people (as mine are, and they are probably in line with yours), and I know my friends are. But the utter lack of logic by some folks on both sides is mind boggling.

I know this post has nothing to do with the thread, just echoing your thoughts from the other side, and I appreciate you sharing your take.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by mattman91 View Post
    Yep. Sad. I believe they (not me) call them covidiots here.
    Most protesters I saw wore face coverings, so they are not "covidiots".

"Covidiots" are people who for no good reason do all the wrong things..like the kids that went partying at The Lake of the Ozarks over Memorial Day.
    https://www.ky3.com/content/news/Cam...570877201.html

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    As a Liberal, I've unfollowed many liberal friends on FB because what they post is so extremely to the left that common sense has been chucked out the window. I'm sure your parents are very smart people (as mine are, and they are probably in line with yours), and I know my friends are. But the utter lack of logic by some folks on both sides is mind boggling.

I know this post has nothing to do with the thread, just echoing your thoughts from the other side, and I appreciate you sharing your take.
    You mean, defenstrated. Your DBR grammar lesson for the day.
    [redacted] them and the horses they rode in on.

"Covidiots" are people who for no good reason do all the wrong things..like the kids that went partying at The Lake of the Ozarks over Memorial Day.
    Yep. As a local, I’m worried that we are about to see a huge uptick of cases here in StL from these morons.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Not just cities. My in-laws live in the Ozarks. I'm worried about them. https://abcnews.go.com/US/lake-ozark...ry?id=70968298
    I didn’t know this! Where do your in-laws live?

Sweden

Interesting article on Sweden's approach to the pandemic. "Sweden did not impose as strict a lockdown as most developed countries, but it still avoided the sort of death rates that many (including the authors of this piece) had feared. But while Sweden may suggest that the benefits of lockdown have been overstated, it also shows that the costs have too. And there are good reasons to think that Sweden has had many of the costs of mandatory lockdowns, with few of the benefits."

https://thecritic.co.uk/live-free-an...us-experience/

Isolation for 14 days 'unnecessary', claims Germany's top government scientist

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2020/05/29/isolation-14-days-unnecessary-claims-germanys-top-government/

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    I didn’t know this! Where do your in-laws live?
    The hubby was born in Springfield. MiL grew up in Ozark, FiL grew up in Halfway then Springfield. Hubby grew up in MA and CT. After FiL retired, the in-laws lived for many years near Beaufort, SC but it was always my FiL's dream to have a hunting cabin "back home". They eventually built one near Theodosia. When they sold the SC place (3 or 4 years ago), they lived full time in the cabin (it's not small but it is made of wood) for awhile. If you know Theodosia, you know that it is very rural and not close enough to any medical facilities for a couple in their '80s. They finally bought a house in Springfield last summer and are now living in Springfield.

Quote Originally Posted by devildeac View Post
    You mean, defenstrated. Your DBR vocabulary lesson for the day.
    Your resident pedant has FIFY.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

As of Saturday evening May 30, the seven-day average for new COVID-19 deaths is 983, down from 1,233 the previous week and down 55 percent from the peak average of 2,208 on April 21.

New COVID-19 cases have also declined, but at a slower rate. The seven-day average is 21,400, down from the previous week's 22,600 and 32 percent below the high on April 8 of 31,600.

Possible reasons for the divergence of new deaths and new cases -- We are testing more people, and at the margin, they are healthier than those discovered earlier. Second, surely we are doing a much better job of protecting seniors in assisted-living facilities and nursing homes, with consequent lower mortality.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Sure seems to me that the virus is still just an abstraction for many people. It's going to take a death in the family, or a close friend, to alter that viewpoint for many.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post

When I find myself on the opposite side of an issue with people I know and respect, I realize I have to take a careful look at my positions, not just criticize theirs.

We must be watching totally different coverage then, buddy.

Quote Originally Posted by Indoor66 View Post
    When I find myself on the opposite side of an issue with people I know and respect, I realize I have to take a careful look at my positions, not just criticize theirs.
    I try, but that is tough to do when you already know you are right.

Speaking of confirmation bias and information silos, I think we were.

Seriously though, I have a good friend who is several clicks away from me on the political spectrum. When we talk "issues" I am continually surprised at how we are working from different sets of facts or at the very least from different sets of important facts.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I try, but that is tough to do when you already know you are right.

Speaking of confirmation bias and information silos, I think we were.

Seriously though, I have a good friend who is several clicks away from me on the political spectrum. When we talk "issues" I am continually surprised at how we are working from different sets of facts or at the very least from different sets of important facts.
    The important thing is that you are still talking and, it appears, still listening.

Rioters are generally inclined towards masks regardless of the pandemic. Most clips I have seen from Minneapolis, Seattle, Louisville has shown the vast majority of folks wearing masks.

Not to mention, those falling victim to the virus are skewed towards minorities as well.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Everyone wants the same thing, IMO, even if we're at odds with how to get there: the plan that both protects (or at least minimizes damage to) our collective health and economy. Closing down has horrible negative economic consequences, as well as the mental and physical health impacts that come with economic depressions. Unfortunately, not closing down would have almost certainly had horrible economic consequences, too. If we're at 100K dead now with ALL the closures, then we would almost certainly been in the 4-6X dead range by now with 1M dead a real possibility down the line and many health systems would have been overrun, which would ALSO have had devastating consequences.

Until we can science our way out of this thing, I'm afraid we're truly in a damned if you do, damned if you don't scenario with respect to the economy.
    Generally agree with you, bunda. My question is: What would be the goal of a second shut down? The goal of the first one was to keep the health care system from being too overwhelmed while experts figure out treatment protocols, how to best limit the spread and work on a vaccine. Mission accomplished, but if we shut down again, the goalposts have to move to "stop the virus," otherwise there will be a third wave and third shutdown, repeat as needed until vaccine is widely administered. At this point, "stop the virus" doesn't seem possible given that many Americans have clearly indicated they won't isolate, wear masks or stop socializing in large groups. If the goal of the 2nd shutdown is "keep treading water," that doesn't make sense to me.

We really are between a rock and a hard place.