Page 704 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 204604654694702703704705706714754804 ... LastLast
Results 14,061 to 14,080 of 22195
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Yeah, at some point the CDC has to accept a level of deaths per year here. I honestly thought we would be there at this point but I guess we aren’t. Vaccine appointments are readily available as far as I know. I’m honestly not sure what the CDC is waiting for. Maybe the middle of summer we won’t have to wear masks anymore?
    Here's an update from earlier today on vaccination totals, per day vaccinations, cases, etc. Vaccinations per day are declining but still over 2 million. I believe all states are now open to everyone 16+ so once they get through the shrinking backlog of newly eligible people who want to get it, the line should largely flatten (at least until they hopefully make younger groups eligible) - for most of these people to be two weeks post-second shot, I think the July 4 estimate likely makes sense, maybe a little earlier.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/05/03/covi...ly-update.html

Even then, I wouldn't be throwing out my masks anytime soon. Definitely phasing them out for more and more situations.

Hey all,

So there are some very informed and educated people here. I was hoping to take advantage of you all.

So the CDC has largely dropped their recommendation of using clear barriers between students in school. From the CDC “We don’t have a lot of evidence of their effectiveness” in preventing transmission, Gretta Massetti (leads the CDC’s community interventions task force) said.

I am trying to find such evidence... like, a study or something that gives that information... because we are contemplating getting rid of the barriers.

Any of the educated, in-the-loop folks here have any insight about this?

Thanks!

OSHA Cites Employer following COVID-19 Death of Employee

Interestingly the employer appears to have been cited for failing to follow its own rules. Company luncheon in October followed by reports of COVID from employees who attended. Company failed to follow its own rules to identify, contact trace, isolate and quarantine after receiving reports of COVID from folks who were at the luncheon. Twenty-two employees got sick and one died.

Would the company have received punishment if it had followed its rules but had the same outcomes? If it had not had any rules?

The vaccines are now broadly available. When will they come off of EUA status so that employers will not have to fight the "experimental status" argument?

https://www.mbtmag.com/home/video/21...tm_term=716230

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Hey all,

So there are some very informed and educated people here. I was hoping to take advantage of you all.

So the CDC has largely dropped their recommendation of using clear barriers between students in school. From the CDC “We don’t have a lot of evidence of their effectiveness” in preventing transmission, Gretta Massetti (leads the CDC’s community interventions task force) said.

I am trying to find such evidence... like, a study or something that gives that information... because we are contemplating getting rid of the barriers.

Any of the educated, in-the-loop folks here have any insight about this?

Thanks!
    Duke claims I'm educated, but I'm not in-the-loop.

However, I think the main benefit of the barriers at this point is that they are a constant reminder of safe practices and distancing. So a subliminal impact on impressionable young minds? We're not out of this yet (may never be) but pulling down the barriers perhaps sends the wrong message to your students. The school has paid for them, they're installed, so why not leave them up for a while. I imagine they're also a deterrent to typical classroom shenanigans.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    Duke claims I'm educated, but I'm not in-the-loop.

However, I think the main benefit of the barriers at this point is that they are a constant reminder of safe practices and distancing. So a subliminal impact on impressionable young minds? We're not out of this yet (may never be) but pulling down the barriers perhaps sends the wrong message to your students. The school has paid for them, they're installed, so why not leave them up for a while. I imagine they're also a deterrent to typical classroom shenanigans.
    The thing is, the amount they obstruct vision is INSANE. We have ones with solid sides, so the kids cannot see each other, and I often struggle to see THEM. Kids are constantly leaning and standing to try to see, I’m constantly having them turn desks, and I also struggle to see kids who are fooling around. It’s really brutal

At this point, if they aren’t providing a measurable health benefit, I’d love to get rid of them. The kids are pretty careless when it comes to socially distancing anyway

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    The thing is, the amount they obstruct vision is INSANE. We have ones with solid sides, so the kids cannot see each other, and I often struggle to see THEM. Kids are constantly leaning and standing to try to see, I’m constantly having them turn desks, and I also struggle to see kids who are fooling around. It’s really brutal

At this point, if they aren’t providing a measurable health benefit, I’d love to get rid of them. The kids are pretty careless when it comes to socially distancing anyway
    Sorry, I pictured 'plexiglass'. That's what I see in stores. And thanks for reminding me of teenage hormones, I vaguely remember them.

Yeah, ignore my previous post. Ditch 'em.

Children now account for 22% of US Covid cases

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.subs...r-224-of-covid

The good news is that very few children die (0.01% of cases), but some children do get long Covid. I can't tell from the otherwise excellent article how many get long Covid, however.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post

The good news is that very few children die (0.01% of cases), but some children do get long Covid. I can't tell from the otherwise excellent article how many get long Covid, however.
    Very scary. Michigan sure seems to be in a bad way right now.

I would love to know how much of this is driven by the older 12 crowd, since (a) that is were susceptibility to Covid really starts to go up, from what I can tell, and (b) those are the only kids that we have any hope of vaccinating soon.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post

My 14 year old niece just tested positive. Can’t smell or taste but otherwise mostly fine. A little short of breath with exertion.

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Very scary. Michigan sure seems to be in a bad way right now.

I would love to know how much of this is driven by the older 12 crowd, since (a) that is were susceptibility to Covid really starts to go up, from what I can tell, and (b) those are the only kids that we have any hope of vaccinating soon.
    My supervisor moved from Ann Arbor to NC late last summer. She is still in touch with former co-workers. They have pretty good mandates in place, but can't seem to figure out the crazy spread they are having.

Two government approved raves where allowed this weekend in Liverpool, England. Thousands of people, indoors, no masks, no social distancing all in the name of science. All attendees had to have have a negative COVID test. Let’s see how this plays out.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Two government approved raves where allowed this weekend in Liverpool, England. Thousands of people, indoors, no masks, no social distancing all in the name of science. All attendees had to have have a negative COVID test. Let’s see how this plays out.
    God I love science

We have had about 18 kids with MIS-C admitted to our hospital, several have ended up in intensive care. This is the main thing we are seeing at the Children's Hospital.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    We have had about 18 kids with MIS-C admitted to our hospital, several have ended up in intensive care. This is the main thing we are seeing at the Children's Hospital.
    In what aged kids is it showing up most?

-jk

Is this over the entire pandemic (since March 2020)? Or a more recent time frame?
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

"Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

Question for the board - We are having outdoor Sunday School and we don't have that many kids to begin with. Each class had 2 adult teachers. One class has 2 - 4 upper elementary kids and the other can have 5 - 9 lower elementary age kids. Should everyone remain masked? If unmasked, what kind of distance between people should be maintained?

MIS-C clarifications: Over the entire pandemic. Ages range from about 3 to 16 or 17, with a median of about 6-9 years of age. I don't have all the exact stats; pretty sure my colleague does. If you need specifics, I can probably get them.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

MIS-C clarifications: Over the entire pandemic. Ages range from about 3 to 16 or 17, with a median of about 6-9 years of age. I don't have all the exact stats; pretty sure my colleague does. If you need specifics, I can probably get them.
    Thanks. I was curious if there were trends. Sounds likes it's hitting kids of all ages.

-jk

Lows for New Cases and Deaths

As of today, May 5, COVID-19 new cases are at a seven-day average of 47,900, the lowest average SINCE OCTOBER 9. Deaths are resuming their decline, with a seven-day average of 682, the lowest average number of deaths SINCE JULY 10.

I like the trends -- we hope they continue.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

very distressing story on the local news last night, lots of kids at a local college, St. Michaels, being interviewed on not getting jabbed, and a whole bunch of them went on and on with ignorant excuses, lots of "my friends told me not to," or "I'll think about it, maybe later," while the state makes it SO easy for them to get jabbed.