Page 776 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 276676726766774775776777778786826876 ... LastLast
Results 15,501 to 15,520 of 22195
    Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Inserted some percentages below for context

Georgia:
    4,136,214 — fully vaccinated
    4908 — verified breakthrough cases of fully vaccinated (.12% infection rate)
    118 — hospitalizations of fully vaccinated (.003% hospitalization rate)
    24 — deaths of fully vaccinated (.0006% case fatality rate)

Thanks. Note that one's chance of dying in a car accident in their lifetime is higher (0.16%) than the above breakthrough infection rate and 266x the fatality rate. Of course, I recognize that these cases have been over a shorter timeframe than lifetime, but I think it puts risk assessment into some perspective.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I, too, have noticed houseworkers like plumbers and the like not really wearing masks in my house although I have kept my distance. I have not asked them their vaccination status.
    For my service calls, I make it a point to announce that I am vaccinated, and that I can wear one if they would like me to. If they answer the door masked, I don't even bother asking. If someone comes into my office masked, I also put mine on. Obviously my way of doing things isn't everyone's, but I think my clients appreciate it. (95% of my service call clients are older, and have thankfully been vaccinated themselves.)
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    For my service calls, I make it a point to announce that I am vaccinated, and that I can wear one if they would like me to. If they answer the door masked, I don't even bother asking. If someone comes into my office masked, I also put mine on. Obviously my way of doing things isn't everyone's, but I think my clients appreciate it. (95% of my service call clients are older, and have thankfully been vaccinated themselves.)
    Yeah that seems like a good approach. I have been to an office only twice - well, "once" was for an entire week at a client -- and saw ZERO people masked (in major cities in blue states). Somewhat surprising...I did see building staff masked, I guess, and a I saw some workers for OTHER offices wear masks in lobby/elevator.

Thanks. Note that one's chance of dying in a car accident in their lifetime is higher (0.16%) than the above breakthrough infection rate and 266x the fatality rate. Of course, I recognize that these cases have been over a shorter timeframe than lifetime, but I think it puts risk assessment into some perspective.
    Agreed. I just wish the media would emphasize safety statistics like these on the vaccinated population relentlessly, rather than highlighting relatively anomalous cases and situations like the Cape Cod "outbreak". The latter stories attract eyeballs, to be sure, but work against the public interest in my view.

Got it. For the record, I wasn't suggesting your particular take was ridiculous or anything, sorry if it came off that way. Was just responding to the replies that signaled some shock and awe; and that perhaps perspective is warranted.

I, too, have noticed houseworkers like plumbers and the like not really wearing masks in my house although I have kept my distance. I have not asked them their vaccination status.
    I hear ya. I think I was especially put off because this is a woman who will be walking into literally every home in town, and she was being anything but candid about her vax status. I've been far less agitated by contractors who aren't vaccinated as my expectations for them has been lower.

Quote Originally Posted by luvdahops View Post
    Agreed. I just wish the media would emphasize safety statistics like these on the vaccinated population relentlessly, rather than highlighting relatively anomalous cases and situations like the Cape Cod "outbreak". The latter stories attract eyeballs, to be sure, but work against the public interest in my view.
    yeah, this has been bugging me, too. It seems to provide fodder for those who want to think that vaccines don't work...

Grandma has to go to ER for a non-life threatening issue. She and my stepdad have been waiting 5 hours now because so many COVID patients are showing up.

She’s double masked and has been vaccinated.

This is south of myrtle beach.
    Last edited by bundabergdevil; 08-03-2021 at 05:22 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Regrettably, there could be consequences to my complaining about her...I wish I were more courageous. The Town Hall staff is a tight knit bunch, and they have been known to retaliate against people who cross them. I think I'll try to find out who the town health officer is now (unpaid position, little work involved, usually a doc who lives in town) and talk to him or her.
    This is basically my work situation. Fun.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    Grandma has to go to ER for a non-life threatening issue. She and my stepdad have been waiting 5 hours now because so many COVID patients are showing up.

She’s double masked and has been vaccinated.

This is south of myrtle beach.
    Update. The hospital does not have any rooms and she won’t be admitted. Lovely.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Wow. Hope it works out for her, and your family.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I'm sorry to hear this. I hope she is ok. What city/state is she in?

And this is exactly why it was so important to "flatten the curve" last spring, and, apparently, now.

Not meaning to pick on you, but I really wish policies would take into account what we've learned over the last year and some the "hygiene theater" would go away/be relaxed. Maybe it has in some places. #1 thing to do BY FAR is vaccinations/mandating them, etc. Masks and social distancing are also effective. Why can I still not leave a stroller inside an empty room at my daycare? Why can my children STILL not go on playground equipment at a park according to school rules? Makes no sense...They previously didn't want "outside objects brought inside" but I think we've learned enough by now...harumph.

Coming from the person who way overused hand sanitizer (and washed hands) even pre COVID so I'm certainly a germophobe before this and still find it a bit ridiculous. Of course, you doing what you want to do in your own home is all good.
    If you read my post a little more carefully, you will see that this was months ago, before they relaxed the surface spread concerns and before vaccines were readily available. And I was spraying the air, hoping to kill any germs in the air that his crappy mask may have let loose. A little overboard? Probably, but when it comes to COVID, I am not taking any chances. I do not want it on ANY level. I have started wearing N95s in the grocery store again. I do not and cannot trust others to do what is right to protect me, only do the best I can to protect myself.

I guess I could take a cheap shot about "anything South of Myrtle Beach"...but I won't. I'm just concerned that I come to this website every day and the lack of relevant information is disturbing. Take this headline from Yahoo! for instance:

Blac Chyna’s Lawsuit Against The Kardashians Finally Has A Trial Date, But Twitter Calls Her Out Over ‘Outing’ Tyga

Where are the trendy news watchers from DBR on this topic? Who knows it's just masks, masks, masks along with the occasional contrarian post from Ultrarunner; beautifully written tomes in support of a fundamentally flawed premise. But that's DBR I guess.

Tidelands is always near capacity even pre pandemic. They don’t have surge capacity and the area has a big influx of COVID plus tourists plus the locals. Tell her to try Grand Strand Medical. Conway Med packed too unless she wants to trek to Seacoast in NMB.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    Tidelands is always near capacity even pre pandemic. They don’t have surge capacity and the area has a big influx of COVID plus tourists plus the locals. Tell her to try Grand Strand Medical. Conway Med packed too unless she wants to trek to Seacoast in NMB.
    Thanks. I’ll pass this along. It’s a non-life threatening issue. She went in a few weeks ago for the same thing and walked right into Waccamaw. Completely different situation today and makes sense based on what you say.

Thanks. I’ll pass this along. It’s a non-life threatening issue. She went in a few weeks ago for the same thing and walked right into Waccamaw. Completely different situation today and makes sense based on what you say.
    Also I forgot to throw in a few auto accidents because of the torrential rain. There were three separate ones in the thirteen miles between work and home.

Not meaning to pick on you, but I really wish policies would take into account what we've learned over the last year and some the "hygiene theater" would go away/be relaxed. Maybe it has in some places. #1 thing to do BY FAR is vaccinations/mandating them, etc. Masks and social distancing are also effective. Why can I still not leave a stroller inside an empty room at my daycare? Why can my children STILL not go on playground equipment at a park according to school rules? Makes no sense...They previously didn't want "outside objects brought inside" but I think we've learned enough by now...harumph.

Coming from the person who way overused hand sanitizer (and washed hands) even pre COVID so I'm certainly a germophobe before this and still find it a bit ridiculous. Of course, you doing what you want to do in your own home is all good.
    We've ramped back up on the hand sanitizer and solid surfaces for the few places we go to. Not for COVID, but RSV and the other respiratory crud going around that is more dangerous for the soon-to-be one-year-old grandson and the three-year-old older brother. We see them near daily, as the come to our house while their parents work. Their mom's a speech therapist and has to go into homes of extremely medically fragile children, so we're extremely conscious of ensuring none of us are exposed to COVID and now RSV.

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    Six weeks ago, Georgia’s seven-day average was less than 250 new cases a day.

Today’s new cases: 6480.

Source: https://dph.georgia.gov/covid-19-daily-status-report
    In Savannah’s 3 hospitals, there has been a 70% increase in COVID hospitalizations in the past week.

And in an article yesterday, the CEO of 2 of our hospitals said that the admissions have been averaging 77% unvaccinated, 23% vaccinated.

Although to be fair, we do also get the serious cases from the surrounding region.

A couple of interesting articles that I came across today . . .

Roll Up Those Sleeves or Stay Home
    It is hard to argue in good faith that American citizens have an inalienable "right" to dine at restaurants, attend shows in a theater, and travel for leisure.. . . We have a tacit societal agreement that these are privileges to be obtained only if one has the requisite time and money for them, and if one agrees to abide by the rules of these establishments, such as wearing clothing and refraining from smoking.
    I agree with the authors - if a business wants only vaxxed patronage, they have the right to establish that rule. By the same token, though, a business should be free to establish an anti-vax policy. That, I suspect, the authors would disagree with vehemently. Their implied solution is to have the government establish a comprehensive rule, a la De Blasio, and make the business act as the de facto enforcement arm of the government. That I find problematic.

The second article is interesting but the data is scarce - only six states and the District keep any sort of data on child vaccinations.
    Racial Disparities in COVID-19 Vaccinations among Children Bottom line, black children trail white children in vaccination in every measured case. Rates are widely divergent, too, with Kansas reporting a 9 percent (white) vaccination rate, SC 21 percent, and DC 64 percent. DC is far and away the leader in disparate ratio. Asian/NHOPI exceed in every measured case (five states.)

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    A couple of interesting articles that I came across today . . .

Roll Up Those Sleeves or Stay Home

I agree with the authors - if a business wants only vaxxed patronage, they have the right to establish that rule. By the same token, though, a business should be free to establish an anti-vax policy. That, I suspect, the authors would disagree with vehemently. Their implied solution is to have the government establish a comprehensive rule, a la De Blasio, and make the business act as the de facto enforcement arm of the government. That I find problematic.

The second article is interesting but the data is scarce - only six states and the District keep any sort of data on child vaccinations.
    Racial Disparities in COVID-19 Vaccinations among Children Bottom line, black children trail white children in vaccination in every measured case. Rates are widely divergent, too, with Kansas reporting a 9 percent (white) vaccination rate, SC 21 percent, and DC 64 percent. DC is far and away the leader in disparate ratio. Asian/NHOPI exceed in every measured case (five states.)
    While white children trail Asian children in every state that reports data on Asian children. Hispanics are ahead of white children in a couple of states. Eyeballing it, my a priori expectation would be that, statistically speaking, Black children trail, white and hispanic children are not statistically different from each other, Asian children lead.

Also, the data are scarce, so, there isn't a bottom line just yet. There may be huge variability associated with these point estimates.