Page 1093 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 9359399310431083109110921093109410951103 ... LastLast
Results 21,841 to 21,860 of 22195
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeffrey View Post
    My grandparents helped raise me and my grandmother always said, “getting old sucks!”. Just those three words speak volumes of truth and experiences.
    My friend’s Dad used to say “Getting old isn’t for pu**ies.”

You have to put effort into it, and you have to be fortunate.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    You have to put effort into it, and you have to be fortunate.
    I started the refurbishing process back in the mid 2010's. My average age is actually decreasing.

So far I have a new stapes in the left ear, two new knees and seven screws in my right big toe bunion. I'm in discussions about upgrading my right shoulder.

The hips seem to be aging gracefully so far.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    I started the refurbishing process back in the mid 2010's. My average age is actually decreasing.

So far I have a new stapes in the left ear, two new knees and seven screws in my right big toe bunion. I'm in discussions about upgrading my right shoulder.

I still have all original parts, but my wife got a new hip five years ago which has been a tremendous success for her...I just leave my big bunions alone, though I can't fit in some of my older shoes as a result...It's a jungle out there.

“Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology.”

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    “Gentlemen, we can rebuild him. We have the technology.”
    The most important question is…. How much will he and his insurance pay?

Well, I just got this email TODAY for my daycare facility. Yes, May 26, 2023.

Subject: Open Door Policy

Dear Families, We are happy to announce that we are lifting the restriction of families not being able to enter the classrooms from toddler and up. Infant classrooms are waiting until fall, but families can still stand in the doorway to greet teachers and their children.
    My local library still has signs about not placing books back on the shelves once you touch it and instead placing it on carts for disinfecting...We're a bit behind the times compared to most of the country it seems. I almost cried when they finally lifted the outdoor mask mandate for 2 year olds at the beginning of last fall and I was able to see a picture of my four year old without one after 2+ years. (I'm not anti-mask, but I'm anti mask for two year olds and particularly outdoors...it was ridiculous...).

I bring this up to say that COVID still does have a real impact in certain quarters. And of course, it's still killing like 250 people a day in the country.

Patients Zero IDed

https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmac...h=6c7c788e23b2

"Ben Hu, who led WIV’s gain-of-function research on coronaviruses, was among the “patients zero” who contracted the SARS-CoV-2 virus in November of 2019."

Wow, almost a month without a post on this thread.

How times have changed.

Quote Originally Posted by Neals384 View Post
    https://www.forbes.com/sites/ericmac...h=6c7c788e23b2

"Ben Hu, who led WIV’s gain-of-function research on coronaviruses, was among the “patients zero” who contracted the SARS-CoV-2 virus in November of 2019."
    Wow. If these were indeed the first cases then the covid epidemic almost 100% had a lab leak origen. Still doesn’t answer if virus was man made. Researchers could pick up a zoonotic virus due to repeated intimate contact.

I think I'm going to wait before getting excited until I see a more reliable conclusion than one reported by anonymous sources to Public and recited in Forbes, but if true, it is certainly a result that looks really, really bad for China. Not just the nature of the research, but the fact that an early disclosure could have led more quickly to a vaccine, since presumably a lot was already known about how the virus was supposed to work and why. This would mean that a lot of the economic disruption explicitly lies at China's feet, even if you forgive the accidental leak.

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    I think I'm going to wait before getting excited until I see a more reliable conclusion than one reported by anonymous sources to Public and recited in Forbes, but if true, it is certainly a result that looks really, really bad for China. Not just the nature of the research, but the fact that an early disclosure could have led more quickly to a vaccine, since presumably a lot was already known about how the virus was supposed to work and why. This would mean that a lot of the economic disruption explicitly lies at China's feet, even if you forgive the accidental leak.
    I guess it would be possible for the researchers to have contracted covid even though they weren’t working on that virus. They were likely working regularly with pangolins, bats, etc.

China may well have realized those lab workers were patients zero. That would explain why they limited access to independent observers.

Right from the start, the World Health Organization (while publicly saying China was being helpful, because they covet their funding) privately complained that China was NOT being helpful in providing them with requested information...

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    When someone who is an expert and even-handed reaches the conclusion that patient zero was in the Wuhan lab, I'll take this seriously. Not when Public is the only one reporting this.

Scientific American has a good article on origins of Covid. I'll try to get a better cite. Raccoon dog is the likely source-- two early versions of Covid at about same time.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    Scientific American has a good article on origins of Covid. I'll try to get a better cite. Raccoon dog is the likely source-- two early versions of Covid at about same time.
    Upthread, I linked to a story that raccoon dogs are off the hook. The latest genetic analysis indicates that they aren’t the source of Covid.

Here’s the story: https://theintercept.com/2023/05/10/covid-pandemic-origin-raccoon-dog/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaig n=theintercept&fbclid=IwAR0d9CDAGNxW2X9AYmPxVGjiby Tt9rFiDfqEJqSdh2pFO5_dCSRYqAKZ2UM
    Last edited by MChambers; 06-21-2023 at 08:44 PM. Reason: Added link

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Upthread, I linked to a story that raccoon dogs are off the hook. The latest genetic analysis indicates that they aren’t the source of Covid.

Here’s the story: https://theintercept.com/2023/05/10/covid-pandemic-origin-raccoon-dog/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaig n=theintercept&fbclid=IwAR0d9CDAGNxW2X9AYmPxVGjiby Tt9rFiDfqEJqSdh2pFO5_dCSRYqAKZ2UM
    Added live link above.

Here’s the story: https://theintercept.com/2023/05/10/...5_dCSRYqAKZ2UM
    Added live link above.
    I can't find an on-line link to the just-published article in Jul-Aug Scientific American: "Clues, Controversies and Covid Origins."

"Genetic evidence collected by Chinese researchers in January 2020 --and finally made public earlier this year [2023] -- puts raccoon dogs [related to foxes] and other wild animals at a market in Wuhan, China, that was the epicenter of many of the earliest human COVID cases. That same evidence puts the COVID-causing virus, SARS-CoV-2, in many of those same market stalls. Experiments have shown that raccoon dogs can be infected with and transmit SARS-CoV-2. Taken together, many scientists say, these findings point to a scenario in which the virus jumped to people at the market. But other researchers emphasize that this is only circumstantial evidence -- although they agree it warrants further investigation -- and still leaves open the possibility of a 'lab leak' as the start of the pandemic."
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

More on the Three Scientists

They deny being the first victims of COVID-19, not surprisingly. https://www.science.org/content/arti...s-patient-zero

Edit: and here is the Congressionally mandated report from the Director of National Intelligence: https://www.odni.gov/files/ODNI/docu...9-20230623.pdf

They deny being the first victims of COVID-19, not surprisingly. https://www.science.org/content/arti...s-patient-zero

Edit: and here is the Congressionally mandated report from the Director of National Intelligence: https://www.odni.gov/files/ODNI/docu...9-20230623.pdf
    It appears that at this point still no one know shxx about Covid origins. Just some all-over-the-place probabilistic guesses out there.