Page 996 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 496896946986994995996997998100610461096 ... LastLast
Results 19,901 to 19,920 of 22195
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    So, after finally getting my lab test results last week, I went to visit my parents for a few days. I'm home now, but have a runny nose and sinus pressure. So, I'm getting more home tests to make sure I didn't inadvertently expose my parents.

God I'm getting tired of this.
    Sorry to hear that. My son-in-law tested positive for Covid yesterday. He’s quite sick this morning. Only in his mid 20s, but with a history of some heart issues. He was fully vaccinated, but had yet to get a booster.

A lot of people around me have tested positive for Covid over the last couple of weeks. It’s really an issue down here right now.

Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Sorry to hear that. My son-in-law tested positive for Covid yesterday. He’s quite sick this morning. Only in his mid 20s, but with a history of some heart issues. He was fully vaccinated, but had yet to get a booster.

A lot of people around me have tested positive for Covid over the last couple of weeks. It’s really an issue down here right now.
    It seems like it is seeping into the cracks everywhere.

I'm hoping I have a run of the mill sinus infection. I've never rooted for a sinus infection before.

Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    There were others who normally would have played, maybe not "top" players, who also did not want to be vaccinated, but they accepted the consequences and stayed home. They did not stomp their feet, ball their fists, and whine about it, and then try to sneak in anyway.

Will be interesting to see what happens in Paris, London, and New York.
    I agree, but some of the blame HAS to go to Tennis Australia/Australia itself for granting Djokovic the visa in the first place and saying he should fly in and try to enter. If they hadn't, Novak wouldn't have boarded the plane and the "circus" could have been easily avoided if they simply had said "no exceptions to the rule." I guess the recent infection was the variable that Tennis Australia thought would allow him entry.

Yes, we'll see what happens with the other Grand Slams. I don't think the U.S. requires vaccination to enter, does it? I know somebody who just entered the U.S. unvaccinated (but does happen to also have a U.S. passport even though they're not a resident). I know NYC has its own rules for indoor gyms, but tennis is an outdoor sport. I don't think those restrictions apply. Things also might change by August, who knows. France just made clear that players will need to be vaccinated though. Don't know about the UK. I really don't understand people being THAT passionate about not being vaccinated. As stated above, a lot of players DID get vaccinated for the sole purpose of being able to participate in the Australian Open.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Rosenrosen View Post
    YLE offers helpful insights about BA.2 with much less drama:

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.subs...affairs-jan-24
    Oh my.

"Importantly, BA.2 lacks the spike mutations Δ69-70. This is important, because it means, unlike with BA.1, BA.2 doesn’t have a special signal on PCR tests to tell labs that it is Omicron. All tests now need to go to genetic sequencing for variant identification. "

So, after finally getting my lab test results last week, I went to visit my parents for a few days. I'm home now, but have a runny nose and sinus pressure. So, I'm getting more home tests to make sure I didn't inadvertently expose my parents.

God I'm getting tired of this.
    Negative test result. I will retest this evening.

Guess I just have a regular boring old sinus infection.

Quote Originally Posted by JasonEvans View Post
    So, Gonzaga basketball alumn and basketball legend John Stockton (probably one of the 5 best PGs of all time) has been banned from attending Gonzaga games because he refuses to comply with the university's mask mandate at indoor events. Stockton has gone deeeeep down the Covid misinformation rabbit hole:

I'm just furious that the interviewer didn't stop him and say, "150 dead professional athletes due to the vaccine... can you name 1?"
    This is probably where Stockton got his number (167 deaths of "young athletes" which includes high school football athletes, darts players, former refs, and Hank Aaron, who was many things but not especially young):

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/i...id-19-vaccine/

And here's a rebuttal of such claims, which includes the assertion that not all of the athletes listed had died and not all had been vaccinated against COVID-19.

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...-heart-attack/

It does make wonder if Stockton misread his plaque from Gonzaga. It said that they wouldn't use his number again, not that he needn't ever again use numbers.
    Last edited by johnb; 01-24-2022 at 12:16 PM.

From January 24, 2020:

Quote Originally Posted by Troublemaker View Post
    We need a thread on this virus originating from Wuhan. (But is this the last thread I'll ever start on DBR?). Last I checked, China has quarantined / travel-banned 35 million people in 8 cities already. As we're following this thing, put your thoughts in this thread.

More later.
    Two years and 19,907 posts later.
    Happy worst birthday.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    From January 24, 2020:

Two years and 19,907 posts later.
    Happy worst birthday.
    We are just watching the Amazing Race, and just hit the episode where the whole race had to be shut down because of covid. They filmed it on Feb 28, 2020. I have to say, I knew that moment was coming, and wow, I was super anxious about it.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

(From page 1)

Meanwhile, the 2019-2020 flu epidemic had sickened about 29 million people, hospitalized over 950K, and killed an estimated 80K so far, just to put things in perspective.

Oh, and we have a vaccine to prevent or mitigate it, and a lot of people don't even want it. Go figure.
    Go figure, indeed.

From one Hall of Famer to Another

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    This is probably where Stockton got his number (167 deaths of "young athletes" which includes high school football athletes, darts players, former refs, and Hank Aaron, who was many things but not especially young):

https://www.armstrongeconomics.com/i...id-19-vaccine/

And here's a rebuttal of such claims, which includes the assertion that not all of the athletes listed had died and not all had been vaccinated against COVID-19.

https://www.politifact.com/factcheck...-heart-attack/

It does make wonder if Stockton misread his plaque from Gonzaga. It said that they wouldn't use his number again, not that he needn't ever again use numbers.
    Kareem responds to Stockton:

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/...141928035.html

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I agree, but some of the blame HAS to go to Tennis Australia/Australia itself for granting Djokovic the visa in the first place and saying he should fly in and try to enter. If they hadn't, Novak wouldn't have boarded the plane and the "circus" could have been easily avoided if they simply had said "no exceptions to the rule." I guess the recent infection was the variable that Tennis Australia thought would allow him entry.

Yes, we'll see what happens with the other Grand Slams. I don't think the U.S. requires vaccination to enter, does it? I know somebody who just entered the U.S. unvaccinated (but does happen to also have a U.S. passport even though they're not a resident). I know NYC has its own rules for indoor gyms, but tennis is an outdoor sport. I don't think those restrictions apply. Things also might change by August, who knows. France just made clear that players will need to be vaccinated though. Don't know about the UK. I really don't understand people being THAT passionate about not being vaccinated. As stated above, a lot of players DID get vaccinated for the sole purpose of being able to participate in the Australian Open.
    The US Open could depend on the US's view on Djoke's falsifying documents for Australia, not his vaccination status.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    I love him. Very thoughtful and intelligent and learned.

Stockton masks up after all?

Covid had not infiltrated my kids’ elementary schools in a major way. Until now. We’ve had more notices of exposures and more kids that we know (6-12) test positive in the past three weeks than the prior ninety-six.

Negative test result. I will retest this evening.

Guess I just have a regular boring old sinus infection.
    You have to be boring sometimes...You can’t always be rockin it!
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Covid had not infiltrated my kids’ elementary schools in a major way. Until now. We’ve had more notices of exposures and more kids that we know (6-12) test positive in the past three weeks than the prior ninety-six.
    When you look at our notices of infection, they are spread out by a week or so all the way up until Thanksgiving. Then, suddenly, we started getting one every day, and right after Christmas we were at one a day, but each one mentioned, like, three or four different cases.

Question Corsi-Rosenthal Boxes

Corsi-Rosenthal Boxes are basically inexpensive, easy-to-make, portable air purifiers.
    They cost about $70-80 to make.
    They can last up to 6 months before the filters need to be replaced.
    They are quiet and use MERV 13 filters.
    I am pretty "unhandy" and have been making them in 45 minutes.

• Some cardboard
    • 4 MERV 13 filters
    • Box Cutter
    • Duct Tape

There is a lot of buzz (at least in my social media silo) from engineers, air quality experts, public health professionals, etc. about how these are a simple, cost effective tool that can be used in the arsenal to prevent spread of the virus.

I have been trying to get my child's school district interested, but it has been frustrating to say the least, with the rationale that "Our air exchangers are in great shape and have the highest MERVE rated filters possible. We are in really good shape when it comes to this area."

I'm interested to hear if anyone has any thoughts and advice how to overcome administrative inertia.

Also, if anyone has any interest in building one and has any questions, I am happy to offer my (lack of) expertise.

Here is a video with a good run down:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Y6Pu4zG_A

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    You have to be boring sometimes...You can’t always be rockin it!
    Second home test negative.

So, I feel rotten, but I guess I likely didn't infect my at risk parents.

Corsi-Rosenthal Boxes are great!

Quote Originally Posted by wiscodevil View Post
    Corsi-Rosenthal Boxes are basically inexpensive, easy-to-make, portable air purifiers.
    They cost about $70-80 to make.
    They can last up to 6 months before the filters need to be replaced.
    They are quiet and use MERV 13 filters.
    I am pretty "unhandy" and have been making them in 45 minutes.

• Some cardboard
    • 4 MERV 13 filters
    • Box Cutter
    • Duct Tape

There is a lot of buzz (at least in my social media silo) from engineers, air quality experts, public health professionals, etc. about how these are a simple, cost effective tool that can be used in the arsenal to prevent spread of the virus.

I have been trying to get my child's school district interested, but it has been frustrating to say the least, with the rationale that "Our air exchangers are in great shape and have the highest MERVE rated filters possible. We are in really good shape when it comes to this area."

I'm interested to hear if anyone has any thoughts and advice how to overcome administrative inertia.

Also, if anyone has any interest in building one and has any questions, I am happy to offer my (lack of) expertise.

Here is a video with a good run down:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u9Y6Pu4zG_A
    Yes, those boxes are amazing. I've read stories about families using them when a family member has Covid, and the other members staying Covid free.

Wish I had advice on overcoming administrative inertia.

Wish I had advice on overcoming administrative inertia.
    Can't win, dont try?