Page 926 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 4268268769169249259269279289369761026 ... LastLast
Results 18,501 to 18,520 of 22200

Omicron identified cases update

Countries with Omicron variant Countries with US Travel Bans
    Australia Botswana
    Austria Lesotho
    Belgium Malawi
    Botswana Mozambique
    Canada(within the last hour) Namibia
    Czech Republic South Africa
    Denmark Zimbabwe
    Germany
    Hong Kong
    Israel
    Italy
    Netherlands
    South Africa
    Spain
    United Kingdom

So, did if originate in Africa? Or Europe?
    Last edited by YmoBeThere; 11-28-2021 at 07:36 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Countries with Omicron variant Countries with US Travel Bans
    Australia Botswana
    Austria Lesotho
    Belgium Malawi
    Botswana Mozambique
    Canada(within the last hour) Namibia
    Czech Republic South Africa
    Denmark Zimbabwe
    Germany
    Hong Kong
    Israel
    Italy
    Netherlands
    South Africa
    Spain
    United Kingdom

So, did if originate in Africa? Or Europe?
    I think you may be conflating mere detection with case counts.

-jk

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    Countries with confirmed cases are shown here...

https://bnonews.com/index.php/2021/11/omicron-tracker/
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by -jk View Post

-jk
    At this point, I think it is too early to know. According to one article I saw, South Africa was on the forefront of efforts to identify new variants. It was also mentioned GB sequenced nearly 1 in 5 of positive tests. Part of the issue is you have to do the work at some point. The initial travel ban punishes a country or countries that are doing the work.

At this point, I think it is too early to know. According to one article I saw, South Africa was on the forefront of efforts to identify new variants. It was also mentioned GB sequenced nearly 1 in 5 of positive tests. Part of the issue is you have to do the work at some point. The initial travel ban punishes a country or countries that are doing the work.
    Yeah, what percentage of US cases do you think we're sequencing? 1 in 1000? I honestly have no idea and have not heard of it done at all, but I assume it is somewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    I’m sitting here waiting 15 minutes after just getting my Moderna booster. It’s been 3 months since I had a mild breakthrough infection and 5 months since my 2nd Pfizer shot. I have no idea why, but the Moderna injection was much more painful than either of the first 2 shots. Curious if anyone else had a similar experience.
    My daughter had two Moderna then a pfizer.said Moderna shots were worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Yeah, what percentage of US cases do you think we're sequencing? 1 in 1000? I honestly have no idea and have not heard of it done at all, but I assume it is somewhere.
    Dated data but in April of this year in this opinion piece, it notes US at 0.3% and UK at 10%.

To stem the pandemic, the U.S. needs a national Covid-19 genomic sequencing effort
    By James Crawford, Jonathan Slotkin and Meg Wyatt April 6, 2021

https://www.statnews.com/2021/04/06/...encing-effort/

According to Gottlieb, 100k per week.

https://www.cbsnews.com/amp/news/cov...he-nation/#app

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post

Wow, that is much higher than I thought. Sounds like the U.S. has really upped in more recently. Thanks for sharing.

"[The U.S. is sequencing] about 20% of all the diagnosed cases." -Scott Gottlieb

sequencing

The U.S. is 20th with 3.6% of cases sequenced. South Africa is 37th with 0.8% of cases sequenced. That data is cumulative so not actually what is happening this past month.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/world...riant-omicron/

Quote Originally Posted by freshmanjs View Post

Gottleib is alarmingly academic.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    Gottleib is alarmingly academic.
    Hey now…

An interesting early read of the available data: Among nations w/ multiple Omicron cases: the mutation that is being used to screen for the variant is most commonly found in the Netherlands, Germany, and Denmark. South Africa ranks last on this list. Note: the mutation is also found in Alpha variant, but the point stands.
    https://twitter.com/DataDrivenMD/sta...58930620895232

Sheesh, maybe we should enormously ramp up our vaccine distribution to poor countries rather than penalizing them for transparency.

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    Sheesh, maybe we should enormously ramp up our vaccine distribution to poor countries rather than penalizing them for transparency.
    Yep now you’re on track with the program. Penalize the least mobile least industrialized least global trotting peoples on the planet. Leave it all to doctors without Borders.

An interesting early read of the available data: Among nations w/ multiple Omicron cases: the mutation that is being used to screen for the variant is most commonly found in the Netherlands, Germany, and Denmark. South Africa ranks last on this list. Note: the mutation is also found in Alpha variant, but the point stands.
    https://twitter.com/DataDrivenMD/sta...58930620895232

To be fair, though, Omicron is defined by a large series of mutations, about 50 in all, and not by any single mutation.
    All that table shows is viruses with a certain individual mutation. Without more detail, it is impossible to say, but it is likely that most, if not all of them listed on that table were not actually Omicron variants.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    To be fair, though, Omicron is defined by a large series of mutations, about 50 in all, and not by any single mutation.
    All that table shows is viruses with a certain individual mutation. Without more detail, it is impossible to say, but it is likely that most, if not all of them listed on that table were not actually Omicron variants.
    Yes, Dr. Caballero goes in to greater detail on Twitter on how those cases were classified as Alpha and others that were classified as not Alpha and the timing of those events. I guess the insinuation is that South Africa merely gave a name to something that was already out and about but had not been "classified".

Quote Originally Posted by johnb View Post
    YOu should eb the next head of World Health Organization, as that is precisely its opinion.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Yes, Dr. Caballero goes in to greater detail on Twitter on how those cases were classified as Alpha and others that were classified as not Alpha and the timing of those events. I guess the insinuation is that South Africa merely gave a name to something that was already out and about but had not been "classified".

Omicron COVID variant was in Europe before South African scientists detected and flagged it to the world

Updated on: November 30, 2021 / 7:38 AM / CBS/AP

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/omicron...nkId=142329193

"Dutch health authorities announced on Tuesday that they found the new Omicron variant of the coronavirus in cases dating back as long as 11 days, indicating that it was already spreading in western Europe before the first cases were identified in southern Africa. The RIVM health institute said it found Omicron in samples dating from November 19 and 23."

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    YOu should eb the next head of World Health Organization, as that is precisely its opinion.
    I have read in several places, so it may actually be true, that the issue in South Africa is not a lack of vaccine doses but a lack of trust in the local medical system by the people there. If it is true, that seems like a difficult problem for anyone but the South Africans to solve.

Howard