Page 1063 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 6356396310131053106110621063106410651073 ... LastLast
Results 21,241 to 21,260 of 22195
    Based on the CDC's reversal of their previous guidance for distancing, quarantining, testing, etc. it feels a bit like we've given up on shutting down the virus and moved solidly into the "welp, at least we tried" stage. They are supporting the decision by saying that ~95% of people have some level of immunity from either vaccines or previous infection(s). But transmission is still high across most of the country, reinfections are becoming the norm, long-covid is becoming both more prevalent and involving more symptoms and now we're getting ready to send kids back to school. Seems risky, but what do I know?

Quote Originally Posted by TrickDribbles99 View Post
    Based on the CDC's reversal of their previous guidance for distancing, quarantining, testing, etc. it feels a bit like we've given up on shutting down the virus and moved solidly into the "welp, at least we tried" stage. They are supporting the decision by saying that ~95% of people have some level of immunity from either vaccines or previous infection(s). But transmission is still high across most of the country, reinfections are becoming the norm, long-covid is becoming both more prevalent and involving more symptoms and now we're getting ready to send kids back to school. Seems risky, but what do I know?
    Actually, the CDC recommends greater than 50% of the country should currently be masking at all times based on being in the "HIGH" transmission category. So, yeah, they've changed social distancing and quarantining rules -- but they certainly still recommend mitigating efforts, including masking for 10 days after an exposure. I would imagine the majority of institutions are NOT following the CDC guidelines on those two points and I don't know any cities in the U.S. that currently mandate mask wearing. Don't worry though - my four year old continues to have masks mandated at her daycare! (My city is actually is categorized as LOW based on the CDC metrics.) The CDC wants to move into the "reducing severe disease, individual choice, and less societal/educational disruption mode" (i.e. endemic disease) rather than minimizing infections as much as they can (i.e. emergency pandemic). Based on what I see in my local community and the impact on children over the last couple of years, I am in favor of this shift.
    Last edited by Bluedog; 08-12-2022 at 04:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Actually, the CDC recommends greater than 50% of the country should currently be masking at all times based on being in the "HIGH" transmission category. So, yeah, they've changed social distancing and quarantining rules -- but they certainly still recommend mitigating efforts, including masking for 10 days after an exposure. I would imagine the majority of institutions are NOT following the CDC guidelines on those two points and I don't know any cities in the U.S. that currently mandate mask wearing. Don't worry though - my four year old continues to have masks mandated at her daycare! (My city is actually is categorized as LOW based on the CDC metrics.) The CDC wants to move into the "reducing severe disease, individual choice, and less societal/educational disruption mode" (i.e. endemic disease) rather than minimizing infections as much as they can (i.e. emergency pandemic). Based on what I see in my local community and the impact on children over the last couple of years, I am in favor of this shift.
    Here in SC we've always been in "individual choice" mode.

Not so much with the "reducing severe disease" part.

Quote Originally Posted by Stray Gator View Post
    That seems uncharacteristic of the BA.5 strain that has recently been circulating. Five members of our family, including my wife and I, along with a handful of friends have had bouts with COVID in the past two months, and to my knowledge no one experienced any effect on their senses of taste or smell. Could this be the lingering long-term effect of an earlier strain that your friend caught?
    I asked her more details about it today. She actually has no evidence of recent covid. Had several negative tests at home. Been two to three weeks with no taste whatsoever. Any ideas on what could cause sudden loss of taste other than covid?

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I asked her more details about it today. She actually has no evidence of recent covid. Had several negative tests at home. Been two to three weeks with no taste whatsoever. Any ideas on what could cause sudden loss of taste other than covid?
    It was almost certainly Covid. See my earlier post about a patient I saw who lost his sense of taste and smell 7-8 months ago and said he never had Covid. Blood tests proved otherwise.

She could ask her doctor to run a SARS-CoV-2 nucleocapsid IgG antibody test. It that comes back poultice, it would probe she had been infected.

Other causes are much more ominous, but should be accompanied by other symptoms. I would have her start with the antibody test. Make sure she tells the doctor the exact words I typed.

Quote Originally Posted by TrickDribbles99 View Post
    Based on the CDC's reversal of their previous guidance for distancing, quarantining, testing, etc. it feels a bit like we've given up on shutting down the virus and moved solidly into the "welp, at least we tried" stage.
    With respect, "shutting down the virus" hasn't been a reasonable, possible, or pursued goal for >2 years now. It's surprising that you are just coming to this realization now.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    It was almost certainly Covid. See my earlier post about a patient I saw who lost his sense of taste and smell 7-8 months ago and said he never had Covid. Blood tests proved otherwise.

She could ask her doctor to run a SARS-CoV-2 nucleocapsid IgG antibody test. It that comes back poultice, it would probe she had been infected.

Other causes are much more ominous, but should be accompanied by other symptoms. I would have her start with the antibody test. Make sure she tells the doctor the exact words I typed.
    I love speech recognition. It takes one of the brightest people I converse with and brings him (not really) closer to my level.

I have maintained for years that speech recognition exists to embarrass me - not that I need that much help.

Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post
    I love speech recognition. It takes one of the brightest people I converse with and brings him (not really) closer to my level.

I have maintained for years that speech recognition exists to embarrass me - not that I need that much help.
    Autocorrect is the speech recognition equivalent for those of us who type.

Autocorrected version: Autoconnect is the screech reconditioned equivalent for those of us who skype.

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post

Make sure she tells the doctor the exact words I typed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Ultrarunner View Post

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    Autocorrect is the speech recognition equivalent for those of us who type.

Autocorrected version: Autoconnect is the screech reconditioned equivalent for those of us who skype.
    Well, it’s Saturday. Maybe our good rsvman started drinking early (and often) and is typing impaired!🤣
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Well, it’s Saturday. Maybe our good rsvman started drinking early (and often) and is typing impaired!🤣
    🤣🤣🤣
    Nice try, but I am a teetotaller!

And it wasn't speech recognition, either. It was autocorrect.

I guess most of you have probably figured out that it was supposed to say 'positive,' LOL.

The UK approves the first bivalent vaccine to tackle Omicron and the original strain. I wonder why it's not Omicron and Delta? Hasn't the original strain been effectively replaced?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-62...mpaign=KARANGA

Now looking for suggestions for how to space the new booster with the flu shoot. It's been a bad flu season is Australia which isn't a good sign.

Quote Originally Posted by Kdogg View Post
    The UK approves the first bivalent vaccine to tackle Omicron and the original strain. I wonder why it's not Omicron and Delta? Hasn't the original strain been effectively replaced?

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/health-62...mpaign=KARANGA

Now looking for suggestions for how to space the new booster with the flu shoot. It's been a bad flu season is Australia which isn't a good sign.
    (counting my N95 stash)

Covid ripped through my family and neighborhood last week. I know so many people who have had an infection in the last 3 weeks. Seems to be everywhere.

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by LasVegas View Post
    Covid ripped through my family and neighborhood last week. I know so many people who have had an infection in the last 3 weeks. Seems to be everywhere.
    That's especially rough when so many literally close to you are affected, I hope all are on the road to recovery. I held painting workshops the last two weekends, and each one had a couple cancellations due to covid. I honestly would have been surprised if that hadn't happened.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Same with my family, 3/4 of us are still positive after 8 days. Mom and stepdad have it, stepdad seems to have just gotten the Paxlovid rebound. My symptoms have gotten better but I’m very tired much of the day, my head feels heavy. We had dodged it for 2 and a half years working in public schools the whole time, and kids attending schools. Back to masking full time again for me.

Quote Originally Posted by dukebluesincebirth View Post
    Same with my family, 3/4 of us are still positive after 8 days. Mom and stepdad have it, stepdad seems to have just gotten the Paxlovid rebound. My symptoms have gotten better but I’m very tired much of the day, my head feels heavy. We had dodged it for 2 and a half years working in public schools the whole time, and kids attending schools. Back to masking full time again for me.

I was tired for a while after I got it... maybe a week at least. Got out of breath just walking up stairs.

One note; was speaking with my GP yesterday (who is an infectious diseases expert) and she said that, generally, if you get it a second time you usually get a case whose severity is AROUND the same as when you got it the first time. Obviously there are exceptions, but...

Perhaps, but

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    I was tired for a while after I got it... maybe a week at least. Got out of breath just walking up stairs.

One note; was speaking with my GP yesterday (who is an infectious diseases expert) and she said that, generally, if you get it a second time you usually get a case whose severity is AROUND the same as when you got it the first time. Obviously there are exceptions, but...
    That makes some sense, but there is at least one study suggesting that reinfection raises one's risk of lasting issues. You really don't want to be infected, and you don't want to be infected more than once: https://www.researchsquare.com/article/rs-1749502/v1

My 2 year old son got it pretty bad. Lethargic and high fever for about 2 days but he has rebounded nicely. He was unvaccinated due to us just dragging our feet since we have been so busy. A regret of ours but at least his immune system handled it for us. My other 2 kids (vaccinated) just got fevers for a day and that was about it. This was my wife’s 3rd time with it and she had basically no symptoms. She’s a teacher so not much she can do to avoid the exposure. I was lethargic with muscle aches for 2 days and then got some nasty sinus pressure for a few days. Overall, it definitely hit me harder than the common cold.

My 2 year old son got it pretty bad. Lethargic and high fever for about 2 days but he has rebounded nicely. He was unvaccinated due to us just dragging our feet since we have been so busy. A regret of ours but at least his immune system handled it for us. My other 2 kids (vaccinated) just got fevers for a day and that was about it.
    If it makes you feel any better, my 4 year old had a 103 fever for a day (and extreme fatigue) from Moderna dose #2 so sounds like your child just had an extra day of it going the infection route. Interestingly, when my 4 year old got COVID in January (pre vaccine eligibility) she barely had a fever at all, but certainly had a cough for a reasonable number of days (no cough with vaccine of course).

So, you just never know...

Well, it happened. I’m positive.

I was feeling a bit congested with a scratchy throat so I rammed a cotton swab up my nose and it came back out with Covid on it.

Bummer.

I don’t feel horrible right now, but am starting to feel some aches. We’ll see how it goes.

I am a double boosted kind of person so here’s hoping.