Page 1058 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 58558958100810481056105710581059106010681108 ... LastLast
Results 21,141 to 21,160 of 22200

Hang in there

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Yeah, the wife and daughter both have sore throats and headaches right now, so it seems they are going down.

So pissed off, honestly. We had scheduled both kids to go to camp this week and next, our first break from the kids in… I don’t know, basically forever (and we need it, because my daughter in particular is a disaster right now.) And now I’m stuck here with them, and I want to kill myself
    That's very tough. Hope everybody recovers quickly and completely.

My wife and I flew from Norfolk to Charlotte and then from Charlotte to Salt Lake City yesterday, and I don't remember ever seeing airports as busy and packed as they were all day yesterday.
    We landed at past 10:30 pm and it was close to 11 when I was going to pick up the bags and it was absolutely like sardines. Crazy.
    We wore masks the entire time except to eat so I am keeping my fingers crossed. In Norfolk right now we have about a 7% positive testing rate in asymptomatic people, and about 18% in those with symptoms. So, putting aside a few morons that were coughing in the airport and on the plane, my rough estimate is that yesterday alone we must have come into contact with at least 400 people who were actively shedding the virus.

My 93 yo aunt was in rehab for a few weeks, came home a week ago. I took my mom to see her last Tuesday, relieved that we could see her at home and not the germ-ridden rehab place. My cousin was there wearing a mask. We did not b/c honestly we have not been around ANYONE w/o wearing a mask, though I was a little worried that my mom might catch it from my aunt. Anyway, my cousin said he was coughing/sniffling a little so his wife MADE him wear one. but then I noticed that when we left the room, he took his mask off, so he didn't mind going maskless around my mom and me. Grr!!!!! So I have been counting out 6 days from that incident. In the clear from that. Went to a funeral on Saturday. Again wore the N95s. Most people were not wearing masks in the crowded receiving area and in the chapel. Still on edge that we made it safely through that w/o catching anything. I fear with Durham's high (and presumably underreported #s) that it will turn into a superspreader event. There were a lot of elderly there, so I really hope not.

My turn, my turn!

I play poker in home games so it was just a matter of time - I got a sore throat yesterday and tested positive today. So far just feel a little punky and throat issue, knock on wood.

The dealer at the game I played last Thursday got real sick Saturday and is being tested today so I'm pretty sure that is where I got it. I've told all the people running the 3 games I play in. Anything else I should be doing? Should I ask for the antiviral? For context, I'm not young and did have a heart attack three years ago and stents implanted. But the evidence I've seen for the antiviral isn't that convincing and I think I read that the antiviral interacts with the blood thinners I'm on. So I'm leaning toward not even asking my doc unless I get a lot worse in the next 24 hrs.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    My turn, my turn!

I play poker in home games so it was just a matter of time - I got a sore throat yesterday and tested positive today. So far just feel a little punky and throat issue, knock on wood.

The dealer at the game I played last Thursday got real sick Saturday and is being tested today so I'm pretty sure that is where I got it. I've told all the people running the 3 games I play in. Anything else I should be doing? Should I ask for the antiviral? For context, I'm not young and did have a heart attack three years ago and stents implanted. But the evidence I've seen for the antiviral isn't that convincing and I think I read that the antiviral interacts with the blood thinners I'm on. So I'm leaning toward not even asking my doc unless I get a lot worse in the next 24 hrs.
    Why not ask your doc for his/her recommendation? They know that you're on blood thinners and can thus make a more informed decision (of which you can decide to take or not, but at least you'll be more informed). Waiting 24 hours could make it less effective. Time is of the essence with its effectiveness.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Why not ask your doc for his/her recommendation? They know that you're on blood thinners and can thus make a more informed decision (of which you can decide to take or not, but at least you'll be more informed). Waiting 24 hours could make it less effective. Time is of the essence with its effectiveness.
    I just sent a message to my primary care physician. I usually get a reply in a few hours.

Paxlovid

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I just sent a message to my primary care physician. I usually get a reply in a few hours.
    You can read about Paxlovid's interactions with other medications here: https://www.idsociety.org/globalasse...-6-22-v1.1.pdf

I'm still in the control group (knocking on wood), but have thought that if I were to test positive I would encourage my PCP to put me on Paxlovid, unless she gave me a reason not to. I am not young and on a blood pressure medication and probably should check soon whether there is any interaction between that medication and Paxlovid.

Curious if anybody has suggestions for diagnosis/clarification/treatment/amelioration of long covid symptoms that include fatigue, fluctuating temps, headache, neuropathy, brain fog, etc.

My impression is that there’s neither a clear litmus test nor a clear therapeutic path beyond nonspecific support: as in, exercise as much as possible, unless you have post-exercise malaise; take a handful of the many supplements that are being suggested, and treat non-covid symptom clusters as they’re identified (like depression).

Suggestions/opinions welcome!

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    You can read about Paxlovid's interactions with other medications here: https://www.idsociety.org/globalasse...-6-22-v1.1.pdf

I'm still in the control group (knocking on wood), but have thought that if I were to test positive I would encourage my PCP to put me on Paxlovid, unless she gave me a reason not to. I am not young and on a blood pressure medication and probably should check soon whether there is any interaction between that medication and Paxlovid.
    From what I've read I would just have to stop my Lipitor during the Paxlovid use. I think my anti-platelet Brilinta is fine, as is my bp med Lisinopril. Still waiting to hear back from doc.

So far still don't feel that bad although by throat is getting a bit more sore. Will see what the night brings. If doc doesn't respond in the morning I will give him heck; that's how tough I am!

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    I'm up outside of asheville. Mask wearing is still a bigger thing than in Charleston.
    I'd guess 30% here.vs 10% in Charleston.
    I was supposed to be in Charleston visiting parents this weekend, but when I called my mom to solidify the plans on Sunday, she told me she hadn't been feeling well (including nausea) for the previous 4 days, so was finally getting ready to take a test. My stepdad was feeling fine.
    Two hours later she called to say that she was indeed positive, but stepdad was doing just fine. Yesterday I called to check in to see if she was doing better, and not only was she feeling even worse, now with a persistent cough, but my stepdad had gone from feeling fine to being admitted to the hospital with breathing issues and a positive result.

They were both pretty stringent about wearing masks with their age and underlying health issues.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBornAndBred View Post
    I was supposed to be in Charleston visiting parents this weekend, but when I called my mom to solidify the plans on Sunday, she told me she hadn't been feeling well (including nausea) for the previous 4 days, so was finally getting ready to take a test. My stepdad was feeling fine.
    Two hours later she called to say that she was indeed positive, but stepdad was doing just fine. Yesterday I called to check in to see if she was doing better, and not only was she feeling even worse, now with a persistent cough, but my stepdad had gone from feeling fine to being admitted to the hospital with breathing issues and a positive result.

They were both pretty stringent about wearing masks with their age and underlying health issues.
    Scary stuff! Hope they are feeling better soon!

Vibes for your mom (and stepdad), CB&B. Give them my best wishes. Vibes to others who are getting sick, too. }}}}}}}}}}
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

New Bern, NC unless it's a home football game then I'm grilling on Devil's Alley
    Quote Originally Posted by aimo View Post
    Scary stuff! Hope they are feeling better soon!
    Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    Vibes for your mom (and stepdad), CB&B. Give them my best wishes. Vibes to others who are getting sick, too. }}}}}}}}}}
    I told my mom that I still want to come down this weekend and help around the house while they are hopefully in recovery mode.
    She gave that a big fat Hell NO.

I told her they can't kill me since I died already from COVID a few weeks ago, but she won't listen. Bright side, her sister and nephews are in Charleston, too, so they can help at least with errands.

Also, just like my girlfriend and I, my parents were vaxxed and double boosted. Sigh.
    Q "Why do you like Duke, you didn't even go there." A "Because my art school didn't have a basketball team."

I’m on day 3 and I still only have a slightly sore throat. I am grateful - at my age (late 60’s) I did NOT expect to get such a mild case.

Getting covid is like a reverse scratch off - you never know how much you are going to lose.
    Last edited by Skydog; 07-19-2022 at 02:07 PM.

I told my mom that I still want to come down this weekend and help around the house while they are hopefully in recovery mode.
    She gave that a big fat Hell NO.

I told her they can't kill me since I died already from COVID a few weeks ago, but she won't listen. Bright side, her sister and nephews are in Charleston, too, so they can help at least with errands.

Also, just like my girlfriend and I, my parents were vaxxed and double boosted. Sigh.
    Good luck to the family, Cam!

My son and I are largely recovered. Daughter tested positive yesterday and is showing basically no symptoms. Wife has it, and has really clogged sinuses, but otherwise okay. Her docs said that, as long as she doesn’t get a high fever that we can’t knock back, then she should just chug along and deal with it. Fingers crossed she stays that way!

Very happy to hear that most of the DBR denizens that are affected are doing well. My mom told me today that my stepdad is being moved from the ER to a room tonight, and they are thinking he'll be heading home tomorrow.
    I was way surprised by her text though, since they went to the hospital yesterday morning.
    Over 36 hours after first checking in, a room finally opened. That's crazy. I was thinking he was in the ER for a good bit yesterday and in a room last night.
    It just shows how overrun the hospitals are right now.

Very happy to hear that most of the DBR denizens that are affected are doing well. My mom told me today that my stepdad is being moved from the ER to a room tonight, and they are thinking he'll be heading home tomorrow.
    I was way surprised by her text though, since they went to the hospital yesterday morning.
    Over 36 hours after first checking in, a room finally opened. That's crazy. I was thinking he was in the ER for a good bit yesterday and in a room last night.
    It just shows how overrun the hospitals are right now.
    More like understaffed.

More like understaffed.
    That's an important but distinct difference that unfortunately ends up with similar sort of care or lack thereof.

Or

More like understaffed.
    Overrun because they are understaffed?

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    That's an important but distinct difference that unfortunately ends up with similar sort of care or lack thereof.
    Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Overrun because they are understaffed?
    I have a cousin, 45 yo, who died unexpectedly a few weeks ago. She was having some health issues, and had been in and out of the hospital for about a month. Her dad went to see her as usual, but she was not in her room. The nurse told him, "Oh, didn't the doctor call you? We had to move her to the ICU."

She was not on any monitors, and a nurse had entered her room only to find her in cardiac arrest. No idea how long she had been arresting when they found her. She never regained consciousness, and they took her off life support a couple of days later. This hospital has had staffing issues like most others.