Page 1049 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 4954994999910391047104810491050105110591099 ... LastLast
Results 20,961 to 20,980 of 22195

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Clearing up one point - not all long covid patients have continuing persistent symptoms. Long covid, last time I checked, is defined as symptoms lasting more than 2 weeks post recovery from initial infection. Patients whose symptoms clear after a month or longer would be considered long covid patients but not permanently disabled. I do not know what percent of long covid patients are experiencing permanent symptoms - that's something we will be studying for a long while.

Long Covid, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Clearing up one point - not all long covid patients have continuing persistent symptoms. Long covid, last time I checked, is defined as symptoms lasting more than 2 weeks post recovery from initial infection. Patients whose symptoms clear after a month or longer would be considered long covid patients but not permanently disabled. I do not know what percent of long covid patients are experiencing permanent symptoms - that's something we will be studying for a long while.
    I completely agree with your point. At the same time, however, I think I know that people who have had Covid infections may be at risk for health issues later in life, even if they don't have lingering symptoms that would qualify as long Covid. For example, one study suggests that people who had Covid may be at greater risk of diabetes: https://www.thelancet.com/journals/l...044-4/fulltext
    Another study found that people who had Covid infections scored lower on intelligence tests: https://www.psypost.org/2021/07/larg...lligence-61577
    I think there is also a study or two that suggests that people who had Covid infections are more likely to have heart disease afterwards, although I can't put my finger on those studies right now.
    My reading of these articles and studies is that the people at risk of these conditions don't necessarily qualify as having long Covid. If I'm wrong, I'd love to know it.

Sorry, naked link.

Opinion | 13 Final Texts From Loved Ones Lost to Covid - The New York Times

I didn't have anything to add which is why I ended up with the naked link.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Sorry, naked link.

Opinion | 13 Final Texts From Loved Ones Lost to Covid - The New York Times

I didn't have anything to add which is why I ended up with the naked link.
    I had to stop reading after first batch. Heartbreaking.

Looks like Deltacron is really going to be a thing.

https://www.wral.com/dominant-corona...past/20301561/

Looks like we've reached the peak of the recent surge and cases are now going down in the places where the surge was on the early end (NY, MA, IL, etc.). Hopefully the drop continues -- seems like it typically is a mirror image of the upswing for the downswing, so perhaps we'll see steadily declining cases until we see the trough in a couple of months (end of July). And then perhaps another surge in the month or so after (August/September-ish). Seems to be the general pattern...I'm hopeful that my 4-year will be able to be unmasked outside (or even inside!) for the first time in 2 years sometime this summer ...particularly with vaccine approval for that group likely next month. (I recognize 95% of daycares/schools do not require masks anymore though and many NEVER required them especially outside, so my situation is anomalous).

Latest on Long Covid

Here's an article summarizing the latest news on Covid. It's not good news, though:

"One in five Covid-19 survivors may develop symptoms of long Covid, or long-term symptoms, according to a new study from the Centers for Disease Control, though vaccinations may cut the risk of symptoms by 15%, another study of more than 13 million veterans conducted by researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis found."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/madelin...h=9ca468a5704d

New dominant strain in the US is BA2.12.1, apparently, which is a variant of the second Omicron variant.

For some reason, Nine Inch Nails's song 'Copy of a Copy' just started playing in my head.

Some are counting 'waves' of Covid and say that this is our sixth. SMH.

Quote Originally Posted by MChambers View Post
    Here's an article summarizing the latest news on Covid. It's not good news, though:

"One in five Covid-19 survivors may develop symptoms of long Covid, or long-term symptoms, according to a new study from the Centers for Disease Control, though vaccinations may cut the risk of symptoms by 15%, another study of more than 13 million veterans conducted by researchers at Washington University School of Medicine in St. Louis found."

https://www.forbes.com/sites/madelin...h=9ca468a5704d
    None of the studies are linked, which means I can't tell how "long COVID" is defined, and it may well be defined differently in each paragraph of that article. I'm skeptical about some of the "long COVID" stories. I have no doubt there are terrible outcomes around. I have no conception of how many or how debilitating. I wish this kind of stuff would get standardized and studied rigorously with those standards in mind.

Good point

Quote Originally Posted by Phredd3 View Post
    None of the studies are linked, which means I can't tell how "long COVID" is defined, and it may well be defined differently in each paragraph of that article. I'm skeptical about some of the "long COVID" stories. I have no doubt there are terrible outcomes around. I have no conception of how many or how debilitating. I wish this kind of stuff would get standardized and studied rigorously with those standards in mind.
    Good point! Sorry about that. I was just looking for a quick summary that wasn't paywalled.

CDC study on long covid percentage: https://www.cdc.gov/mmwr/volumes/71/...414#contribAff

VA study on effect of vaccinations: https://www.nature.com/articles/s41591-022-01840-0

Travel Update

My wife and I are just back from a trip to Portugal and Spain. First part was a tour that ended in Madrid, then we went to Barcelona on our own

Our understanding was that we needed a negative PCR test to enter Portugal and a negative antigen test to come back to the USA. We are both vaccinated and boosted twice. The enforcement of the rules was "interesting."

Checking in British Air at LAX for LA-London-Porto we were told we did not the PCR test, only the vaccination proof. There were no further checks for us on those legs. However others on the tour who had different routes had to show the test results including everyone who went to Madrid then Porto.

During the tour we were supposed to be masked on all vehicles and in public places and crowds. . Someone on a previous tour tested positive and was still in Spain days after he was supposed to leave. Mask wearing seemed to be sketchy at best among others in both countries. Saw many wearing masks and many who were not.

I can also report that just as in the US where Covid has reduced staffing etc for restaurants etc. in the hospitality industry, it has done the same in Europe. While many aspects of the tour were excellent, some of the local staff showed a complete lack of experience.

Getting the test in Barcelona was actually pretty easy as there was a clinic near our hotel It did seem like they had the negative result prepared before the test was final. British Air had a app which allowed us to upload the test results and other info and get cleared. It made check in simple. However the idea of needing the test and the consequence of failure did loom large in my mind for much of the trip. Before landing in LAX they announced that there would be random checks of our test results but I did not see anyone who was asked. What would they do in LA if you did not have the result, send you back to London?

I talked to a couple who had gone NY-London via Queen Mary II or whatever the liner was and then flown to Barcelona. They reported that 10 passengers out of about 1500 tested positive on the ocean voyage. All were negative before leaving NY.

SoCal

Just went to the Dominican Republic with a group of 19 friends. Because of our group size, the testing company came to our villa to test the morning before departure. Everyone was allowed to do their own swab and the testing company then threw all the swabs into the same shoe box and 25 minutes later we all got negative tests. Pretty apparent the shoe box didn't make it past the first trash can off property.
    My Quick Smells Like French Toast.

I know more people with COVID right now than I have at any point in the pandemic. Mostly work related transmissions but some school/daycare transmissions, too. All PA, MD, DC based.

All people that have been vaxxed and booster-ed and have still been hit pretty hard.

Quote Originally Posted by bundabergdevil View Post
    I know more people with COVID right now than I have at any point in the pandemic. Mostly work related transmissions but some school/daycare transmissions, too. All PA, MD, DC based.

All people that have been vaxxed and booster-ed and have still been hit pretty hard.
    Add one more to your list. I am in that category - DC based, vaxxed and boosted, and now on day 4 of Covid. Most of the rest of my family had it earlier (all vaxxed) - one in Dec, 2 in Feb, 2 avoided it until now. Mostly flu symptoms - fever, congestion, cough, aches, exhaustion. Bad for the first 2.5 days where I barely got out of bed but seem to be better now. Had to spend the holiday weekend quarantined and missed kids soccer and baseball games and golf outing that I was looking forward to but if that’s the worst of it I’ll take it. Now have to figure out all the varying protocols of when to end quarantine - 5 days, 10 days, negative antigen, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by mkirsh View Post
    Add one more to your list. I am in that category - DC based, vaxxed and boosted, and now on day 4 of Covid. Most of the rest of my family had it earlier (all vaxxed) - one in Dec, 2 in Feb, 2 avoided it until now. Mostly flu symptoms - fever, congestion, cough, aches, exhaustion. Bad for the first 2.5 days where I barely got out of bed but seem to be better now. Had to spend the holiday weekend quarantined and missed kids soccer and baseball games and golf outing that I was looking forward to but if that’s the worst of it I’ll take it. Now have to figure out all the varying protocols of when to end quarantine - 5 days, 10 days, negative antigen, etc.
    We are generally allowing people to come back to work on day 6, providing they don't have fever and all symptoms are either gone or improving and overall illness is 'mild.' For the next five days at work they are required to wear a mask at all times except when eating, and they must eat alone.
    This seems to be working well, as we have not had any secondary cases among employees.

The latest from SC:

Report 1. - SC had the highest percentage increase in cases of any state last week 113%.

Report 2. - SC reports 0 new cases and 0 deaths this week.

Next week if SC reports any cases it will be an infinite percentage increase.

Echo bundabergdevil and mkirsh -- got it for the first time following travel to the Midwest. Like so many others I am vaccinated and had started to wonder whether I was somehow immune. Nope. Not immune.

Although no one else in my household caught it there has been a quite noticeable ramp up locally and among my friends who live elsewhere.

I did the Paxlovid thing and kind of wish I hadn't so that I would be done with it by now (day 14). High fever broke after 1st day. Felt normal after 5 days except for a little congestion. Day 9 it starts getting significantly worse again and I am reading that this is a fairly common outcome. CDC then recommends you restart 5 day isolation + 5 day quarantine. (https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sour..._uUsFtWdNHxEnV)

Maybe covid would have hit a lot harder without the Paxlovid or maybe I'd be better now and able to return to the world. You make your choices and you take your chances, I guess.

Thankful that I and my family managed somehow to avoid it early on. I know a lot of folks who have it now, but everyone seems ok - much less pernicious than what we saw in the first few waves.

Stay safe out there, blue devils.

^ lots of Paxlovid rebound articles out there now.

Quote Originally Posted by camion View Post
    The latest from SC:

Report 1. - SC had the highest percentage increase in cases of any state last week 113%.

Report 2. - SC reports 0 new cases and 0 deaths this week.

Next week if SC reports any cases it will be an infinite percentage increase.
    I know someone who has it in charleston