Page 1072 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 7257297210221062107010711072107310741082 ... LastLast
Results 21,421 to 21,440 of 22200
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    And that was the point I was making. I realize we aren't going to completely eliminate it at this point. But there are a lot of folk doing the exact wrong thing (like working in a restaurant instead of going home when you are really sick) that have kept us from mitigating the damage much more effectively than we've done up to this point.
    As someone who just recovered from COVID in the last three weeks, I do feel bullet proof for awhile.

I do think that on the whole, there's been a cultural shift away from "going to work when your sick is a macho thing that exhibits good work ethic."

This is a good thing.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    I agree that many aren't "doing the right thing", but this disease is so infectious that we as a society cannot function near normal if our goal is to fully stop it. And not functioning "near normal" has other negative impacts of course (economic, educational). Everything has a tradeoff. We hear a lot of people are being "selfish" -- and they are -- but I think we're being naive if we say "if everyone just did X, we wouldn't have an issue."

In China, they still shut down cities of 15 million for 10 cases (locking people in their apartments often without access to needed food and medical care), everyone wears a mask religiously, etc. They are in it to the nth degree. And they've dug in so deep at this point that trying to remove some of those restrictions would unleash it mercilessly because they have less effective vaccines, low vaccination rates among the elderly, and hardly anybody has gotten natural immunity. This is given as the extreme example not to say it's something to emulate, but saying that even in these extreme situations they cannot stop it. (Well, I guess they've largely stopped significant spread, but it's not sustainable and the economic and social costs --- and health costs in other areas -- have been astronomical. So they cannot stop COVID from unleashing a huge swatch of negative attributes as an indirect result.)

People also respond to incentives. Your waitress doesn't get paid without going to work. We don't give good sick leave for service workers, etc.

Striking the right balance among all this is very tricky and everybody has a different opinion on it.
    In addition to your excellent points, people also respond to what our leaders and gummint say. If the CDC says you don't have to mask, but should, a lot of people hear only "you don't have to mask."

Just my opinion.

A typically sore left shoulder is my only side affect this morning, and two Tylenol mitigates that!
    Ozzie, your paradigm of optimism!

Go To Hell carolina, Go To Hell!
    9F 9F 9F
    https://ecogreen.greentechaffiliate.com

Quote Originally Posted by OZZIE4DUKE View Post
    A typically sore left shoulder is my only side affect this morning, and two Tylenol mitigates that!
    Same here after my shot on Saturday. I swear the needle was a lot bigger than previous shots. It was definitely over and inch.

Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    As someone who just recovered from COVID in the last three weeks, I do feel bullet proof for awhile.

I do think that on the whole, there's been a cultural shift away from "going to work when your sick is a macho thing that exhibits good work ethic."

This is a good thing.
    Can you tell your boss you have an upper body injury?

A face mask that can tell you if there's COVID-19 in the air

https://www.scimex.org/newsfeed/a-fa...vid-in-the-air

Boosted!

Got my bivalent booster (Moderna) and a flu shot today. I was going to wait until later in the year, but became convinced that, for my peace of mind, I needed to get the shot now. Also, I think it is likely that if there is a new surge in the winter or early spring, it will probably be a variant that can evade the antibodies produced by this booster.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    A face mask that can tell you if there's COVID-19 in the air

https://www.scimex.org/newsfeed/a-fa...vid-in-the-air
    Fantastic! Man, science is amazing. Was wondering if something like this was out there somewhere, something that could detect stuff in the air...

Shoulder soreness gone the second morning. Good that I didn’t have any other side effects.

9F 9F 9F

Whelp, fear of the kids getting shot by a mass murderer has officially overwhelmed fear of covid. We are now ordered to keep our doors closed at all times. Given that open windows/doors was a key way to get fresh air in the room (otherwise all we have is HVAC from the 50s that isn't on and a single window AC unit)... well, that leaves me really happy, ESPECIALLY combined with the fact that we no longer require kids to wear a mask when they come in on days 6-10 of having covid.

Ahhh this world.

My SO got her shots yesterday. She crossed over from Moderna to Pfizer because that’s what they had. The pharmacist said they were out of the Moderna and it was in shorter supply.

So far, only a slightly sore arm and no other side effects!

9F 9F 9F

My SO got her shots yesterday. She crossed over from Moderna to Pfizer because that’s what they had. The pharmacist said they were out of the Moderna and it was in shorter supply.

So far, only a slightly sore arm and no other side effects!
    One of Moderna's suppliers (Catalent in IN) had manufacturing issues (citations for quality control and the like) and regulators weren't letting them distribute... apparently, as of a few days ago, they've been given the go ahead.

Pfizer CEO infected, again

Six weeks after his first infection, Pfizer’s CEO is infected again.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/health/med...in/ar-AA12d1Pv

Ugh. Picked up two cases of covid in my class just today. Both kids who are out tested negative several times before going positive. Two kids NEXT to the kids who are out with covid are sick, but testing negative, so still in school, looking exhausted and terrible.

Meanwhile our school district is telling families that masks are optional for days 6-10... so when PEOPLE STILL HAVE COVID.

Oh, and our classroom doors have to be kept shut, because a shooter might come in. Which completely kills any chance we have of a breeze coming through. Because, you know... school shootings have killed no elementary school kids in my state, while 35,000 people have died from Covid?

Annnnnd our HVAC systems are off, so no fresh air.

AAAAANNNNNNDDD my 82 year old mom tested positive this morning. On Paxlovid now. Pretty sick, but like "bad cold" sick, not "can't breath" sick.

What in the goddamn hell...?

So, to recap ... your school has a closed door and window policy, Covid is wending its way through the school populace, and there is no forced air system running to refresh the ambient air. What could possibly go wrong?

And, how did you avoid the wankerizer on that post?

I got the bivalent booster yesterday and no side effects except sore arm thus far for me...so I'm pretty happy about that.

The second dose of OG Moderna crushed me for a day (fever, chills, etc.) while the original booster (went Pfizer) was also just sore arm. Went Pfizer again this time although I don't think it's necessarily the manufacturer differences, but seems like the worst side effects after dose #2 is pretty common and boosters not as impactful. But I wasn't sure given the formulation change to target Ba.4 and BA.5.

Quote Originally Posted by 75Crazie View Post
    So, to recap ... your school has a closed door and window policy, Covid is wending its way through the school populace, and there is no forced air system running to refresh the ambient air. What could possibly go wrong?

And, how did you avoid the wankerizer on that post?
    Yep. And you missed the "you don't have to wear a mask on days 6-10." And so many people here just shrug and think that it is okay.

Absolutely ridiculous. I've propped my door open so we can SOME fresh air, and am willing to go the mattresses over it. The complete lack of regard for the health of people is mindblowing.

And I have no idea how I avoided it

Got my booster and flu shots on Tuesday. Flu shot arm hurt first day, booster arm hurt a little the second day. That is all.

So sorry

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    Ugh. Picked up two cases of covid in my class just today. Both kids who are out tested negative several times before going positive. Two kids NEXT to the kids who are out with covid are sick, but testing negative, so still in school, looking exhausted and terrible.

Meanwhile our school district is telling families that masks are optional for days 6-10... so when PEOPLE STILL HAVE COVID.

Oh, and our classroom doors have to be kept shut, because a shooter might come in. Which completely kills any chance we have of a breeze coming through. Because, you know... school shootings have killed no elementary school kids in my state, while 35,000 people have died from Covid?

Annnnnd our HVAC systems are off, so no fresh air.

AAAAANNNNNNDDD my 82 year old mom tested positive this morning. On Paxlovid now. Pretty sick, but like "bad cold" sick, not "can't breath" sick.

What in the goddamn hell...?
    So sorry to hear this about your school and especially your mother. I really don't understand why America is so bad at fighting a pandemic.

Have you considered putting a Corsi-Rosenthal box in your classroom? Will your principal allow it? They are very cheap to build and apparently do wonders.

Update from Your Local Epidemiologist

"We may be in for a bumpy ride this winter. SARS-CoV-2 is already gaining ground thanks to weather and behavior change. We expect growth to accelerate with subvariants on the horizon. There’s a lot you can do, but the lowest hanging fruit is to get your fall booster. Also, if you’re older and test positive, remember Paxlovid."

https://yourlocalepidemiologist.subs...t-5#poll-14462