Page 878 of 905 FirstFirst ... 378778828868876877878879880888 ... LastLast
Results 17,541 to 17,560 of 18086
  1. #17541
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    <devil's advocate> Has there ever been an mRNA vaccine before? Has there? That's what I thought.</devil's advocate>
    What was it that you (or your Devil's Advocate) thought, exactly?

    I think mRNA vaccines have been around for decades ... just not for humans. First one tested in 1993, in mice (influenza), per Nature:

    https://www.nature.com/articles/d41586-021-02483-w

    (there's a mention of Duke Medical Center elsewhere in there)

    Anyway maybe this is the first mRNA vaccine approved for humans, but it's not like mRNA vaccine tech was invented out of whole cloth 18-20 months ago. That false belief feeds into the narrative that many vaccine hesitant hold on to: "it's too new, unproven, so I'm gonna wait for now until more data comes in" (as if they have an a priori notion of a level of data that will convince them)

  2. #17542
    Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    What was it that you (or your Devil's Advocate) thought, exactly?

    I think mRNA vaccines have been around for decades ... just not for humans.
    Exactly! I got the Pfizer, so I have no issue. But I can certainly understand where some folks my take issue.

    It's a bit like buying a car and giving up your horse and carriage. There are always people that will resist something new on the grounds that it is new.

  3. #17543
    Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    <devil's advocate> Has there ever been an mRNA vaccine before? Has there? That's what I thought.</devil's advocate>

    If your friend is worried about an mRNA vaccine and possible unknowns, they should get the Johnson and Johnson which uses a viral vector vaccine which have been around for quite some time.

    disclaimer: I am not a virologist and I did not sleep at a holiday inn express last night.
    Thanks, but I really would like my question answered by someone that does work in the field. Is it true that previous vaccines have never had side effects show up after six weeks? Or have some vaccines had side effects manifest many months or years later? This is a huge talking point for those that are anti-vax . I hear it over and over again. Adverse side effects could show up years later. I just want to know if the stats bear that out.

  4. #17544
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Thanks, but I really would like my question answered by someone that does work in the field. Is it true that previous vaccines have never had side effects show up after six weeks? Or have some vaccines had side effects manifest many months or years later? This is a huge talking point for those that are anti-vax . I hear it over and over again. Adverse side effects could show up years later. I just want to know if the stats bear that out.
    The obvious retort is the long term effects of COVID are unknown, but there are some very scary implications.

    I don't work in the field and will shut up.

  5. #17545
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Orlando, FL
    Quote Originally Posted by SouthernDukie View Post
    Thanks, but I really would like my question answered by someone that does work in the field. Is it true that previous vaccines have never had side effects show up after six weeks? Or have some vaccines had side effects manifest many months or years later? This is a huge talking point for those that are anti-vax . I hear it over and over again. Adverse side effects could show up years later. I just want to know if the stats bear that out.
    Dr Paul Offit, MD, a renowned vaccines expert on the fact that vaccine side effects have never occurred after ~6 weeks.

    Video discussing the topic

    An article from Paul Offit that discusses the historical lack of long term side effects from vaccines and also discusses that what is novel about mRNA vaccines (LNP and modified nucleosides) is MUCH more likely to cause short-term side effects (if any) than long-term side effects
    Coach K on Kyle Singler - "What position does he play? ... He plays winner."

    "Duke is never the underdog" - Quinn Cook

  6. #17546
    Quote Originally Posted by tbyers11 View Post
    Dr Paul Offit, MD, a renowned vaccines expert on the fact that vaccine side effects have never occurred after ~6 weeks.

    Video discussing the topic

    An article from Paul Offit that discusses the historical lack of long term side effects from vaccines and also discusses that what is novel about mRNA vaccines (LNP and modified nucleosides) is MUCH more likely to cause short-term side effects (if any) than long-term side effects
    Thanks. I just didn’t want to be engaging in dialogue with people and stating something that was patently false. I appreciate that information.

  7. #17547
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn.Devil.91.92.01.10.15 View Post
    The obvious retort is the long term effects of COVID are unknown, but there are some very scary implications.

    I don't work in the field and will shut up.
    I have certainly used that retort on many occasions. But I just wanted to make sure my response to anti-vax arguments about side-effect timing was correct.

  8. #17548
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Some people who have had covid and then gotten the vaccine are finding relief from the long term effects of covid though. We know that some people experience covid symptoms for months after they are no longer testing positive for the virus. There are other viral diseases the produce long term effects way down the road (chicken pox, mono, various herpes viruses), given that we know covid can produce long term symptoms already, why not get the vaccine? We have a vaccine that helps with the long term effects of chicken pox now, perhaps we will someday have one for the long term effects of covid, perhaps the ones we have now already do. Will we keep discovering long term effects of covid? I bet we haven't even scratched the surface of the kinds of long term damage covid can do.

    I just don't get it with vaccines. If someone is truly worried about long term effects of medical treatment - they shouldn't get chemo if they have cancer, or have surgery of any kind, or, really, take aspirin every day. All of these things have known long term effects that are more significant than any vaccine where we have long term data.
    Just yesterday I spoke with someone with a lofty position at a respected company that told me about one of their VPs who has had persistent health issues since they got their first shot in June or July. Well educated and successful people sincerely believe that there are real side effects and (I assume) that reporting is being suppressed.

  9. #17549
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Just yesterday I spoke with someone with a lofty position at a respected company that told me about one of their VPs who has had persistent health issues since they got their first shot in June or July. Well educated and successful people sincerely believe that there are real side effects and (I assume) that reporting is being suppressed.
    It is the causation/correlation conundrum. People are wired to make connections, even where none exist.

  10. #17550
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Just yesterday I spoke with someone with a lofty position at a respected company that told me about one of their VPs who has had persistent health issues since they got their first shot in June or July. Well educated and successful people sincerely believe that there are real side effects and (I assume) that reporting is being suppressed.
    Has this person reported their suspected side effects to their doctor?

  11. #17551
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Has this person reported their suspected side effects to their doctor?
    I think you know the answer.

  12. #17552
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Just yesterday I spoke with someone with a lofty position at a respected company that told me about one of their VPs who has had persistent health issues since they got their first shot in June or July. Well educated and successful people sincerely believe that there are real side effects and (I assume) that reporting is being suppressed.
    Do you really believe that? I sincerely hope (and believe) that you are wrong about news suppression on this issue.

    EDIT: So sorry, Cato. My bad. I didn’t read the sentence properly. You were only reporting the others believe that. And of course we all know that’s true.

  13. #17553
    Quote Originally Posted by cato View Post
    Just yesterday I spoke with someone with a lofty position at a respected company that told me about one of their VPs who has had persistent health issues since they got their first shot in June or July. Well educated and successful people sincerely believe that there are real side effects and (I assume) that reporting is being suppressed.
    Was the person with the lofty position Nicki Minaj? I bet it was!

  14. #17554
    Quote Originally Posted by Bostondevil View Post
    Has this person reported their suspected side effects to their doctor?
    I wouldn’t know, but they’ve been on a leave of absence from work and were in the hospital at some point, so they’ve at least discussed the issues with someone. I have no more details and no one is saying directly that the vaccine caused these issues, but when I was told about it there was a *wink/wink/nudge/nudge* understanding that of course the vaccine caused it.

    I am scrupulously apolitical in the professional context, which sometimes leads to people thinking that I’m a safe person to, for example, share their anti-vax stories. And I have been very surprised by some of the people falling into these ways of thinking. In this case, there is a wellness lifestyle connection between the individuals.

  15. #17555
    Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    Was the person with the lofty position Nicki Minaj? I bet it was!
    Ha! Lofty in a really boring way. Zero street cred, just like me.

  16. #17556
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Summerville ,S.C.
    Went to blake shelton concert last night.
    Masks required. So once in everyone takes thier mask off. I was only one i could see that had one on . i felt like the lone ranger in a covid crockpot .
    People just don't care.
    Quite disappointed in my fellow concert attendees.

  17. #17557
    Join Date
    Feb 2007
    Location
    Durham, NC
    Quote Originally Posted by wavedukefan70s View Post
    Went to blake shelton concert last night.
    Masks required. So once in everyone takes thier mask off. I was only one i could see that had one on . i felt like the lone ranger in a covid crockpot .
    People just don't care.
    Quite disappointed in my fellow concert attendees.
    Sounds like the Duke students at the football game. And bunch of people around us.

  18. #17558
    Join Date
    Nov 2007
    Location
    Vermont
    Today's winning health care savant is Nicki Minaj who told her 22M followers that the vaccine makes men impotent and swells up their testicles. Joe Biden offered to call her on the phone and explain her ineptitude, then she said she'd accepted his invitation to the White House which, of course, he never offered. So yes, we are in good hands overall.

  19. #17559
    Well, we are five days into the school year and my homeroom just picked up our first case. Girl who has it is feeling good, all things considered. Thankfully we said no snack this year, so there haven't been masks off and we won't need to quarantine anyone. Fingers crossed the kids around her don't get it.

  20. #17560
    Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    Today's winning health care savant is Nicki Minaj who told her 22M followers that the vaccine makes men impotent and swells up their testicles. Joe Biden offered to call her on the phone and explain her ineptitude, then she said she'd accepted his invitation to the White House which, of course, he never offered. So yes, we are in good hands overall.
    Maybe her best friend's sister's boyfriend's brother's girlfriend heard from this guy who knows this kid who's going with the girl who said her boyfriend had this happen to him after he got the vaccine (at 31 Flavors last night). I guess it's pretty serious.

Similar Threads

  1. Euro 2020
    By flyingdutchdevil in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 382
    Last Post: 07-14-2021, 03:14 PM
  2. Dukies in the NFL - 2020
    By Acymetric in forum Elizabeth King Forum
    Replies: 116
    Last Post: 02-10-2021, 11:35 AM
  3. MLB Draft 2020
    By weezie in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-11-2020, 10:43 AM
  4. Coronavirus - those we've lost
    By JasonEvans in forum Off Topic
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 05-08-2020, 09:42 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •