Page 870 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 370770820860868869870871872880920970 ... LastLast
Results 17,381 to 17,400 of 22195
    Quote Originally Posted by ArkieDukie View Post
    “You must spread some comments around…”

Excellent post. I think the whole “science evolves” thing is difficult for many to understand. A certain media outlet and its followers push this as “no one knows what they’re doing.” I always counter with, our opinions evolve as we learn more, otherwise we’d still think the earth is flat. Although, many do think that. I’ll never get why it is viewed more favorably to double down when you’re wrong rather than admitting it. Some even view it as a sign of strength.

I read the article you mentioned. It is a fascinating read, and it is amazing how much effort it took to change prevailing wisdom regarding respiratory droplets vs aerosols. In fact, I think I saw several articles that talked about the effectiveness of masks in the context of respiratory droplets. The Duke engineering study showed that bandannas and other loosely woven fabrics are bad for masks because they actually dispersed the droplets. Not sure if that was before or after messaging changed.
    Variously attributed to Winston Churchill and John Maynard Keynes:
    "When the facts change, I change my mind-- what do you do, Sir?"

This quote pithily summarizes a principle of both the scientific method AND basic common sense-- yet, you'd think Fauci's endlessly baying critics had never heard of this concept before.

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Can one not be disappointed and be not surprised at the same time?
    As a Duke football fan, the answer is clearly “yes.”

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    This. Social media -and especially their algorithms - are the dominate drivers of increasingly extreme tribalism, which of course makes unity on anything impossible, including pandemic responses, If the US doesn’t solve this problem there really is no hope. No society is immune to non-stop propaganda.
    I read somewhere (don't believe it was here) that there is nothing inherently wrong with social media. In fact it can be quite useful. It's the algorithms that should be outlawed.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    I might turn the coin over and say that the U.S. may be the least regimented country in the modern world. Lots of individualistic sentiment throughout the population. There is very little sense of conformity. So, when the US government urges everyone to get a vaccine, which involves baring one's arm to someone else, taking a needle, and feeling bad afterwards, there is a natural sentiment of "Sez who?" or "Make me!" Moreover, the "grumpy old men" who are leading the resistance are very influential in their families and communities, disparaging the notion of COVID and shots. Is this a case of widespread "passive-aggressive behavior?" You bet!

Phrased this way, one might then ask what role does Fox News or Trump or red-state governors play? Well, they don't help the cause of public health, but they wouldn't be effective without a receptive audience.
    We've always had an anti-intellectual component in American society. Helped make Richard Hofstadter's career. Even at the onset of World War II many people complained about rationing, black-out curtains, curfews and other government policies related to winning the war.

But vaccines? I'm old enough to remember when iron lungs were a thing and then the polio vaccine came along and Jonas Salk was a national hero. Did anyone find the vaccine a bad thing? We all had to get certain shots to go to school and no one thought their freedoms were being impinged.

Yes, we, as a country have weaponized dumb and I'm not sure how to combat it. And it's very disturbing.

We've always had an anti-intellectual component in American society. Helped make Richard Hofstadter's career. Even at the onset of World War II many people complained about rationing, black-out curtains, curfews and other government policies related to winning the war.

But vaccines? I'm old enough to remember when iron lungs were a thing and then the polio vaccine came along and Jonas Salk was a national hero. Did anyone find the vaccine a bad thing? We all had to get certain shots to go to school and no one thought their freedoms were being impinged.

Yes, we, as a country have weaponized dumb and I'm not sure how to combat it. And it's very disturbing.
    They're trying to prove Dean Wormer wrong.

Quote Originally Posted by Dedgummit View Post
    Yeah, well, you're just an immunologist-- and that's just, like, your opinion, man...
    You're out of your element here Donnie, I mean Dedgummit. You have no frame of reference.

Quote Originally Posted by dudog84 View Post
    I read somewhere (don't believe it was here) that there is nothing inherently wrong with social media. In fact it can be quite useful. It's the algorithms that should be outlawed.
    Nothing inherently wrong with social media - IF it self-policed for blatant misinformation, disinformation, snake oil salesmen, state actor propaganda and the like. Just disseminating this corrosive material and making it accessible world-wide is a major problem but might be survivable. But after the algorithms change this from a passive source where a user selects their own content and makes it instead a highly efficient active driver of division and conflict you end up with a nuclear reaction no society can survive.

In theory it’s not that hard to solve. Outlaw the use of such algorithms and make all media platforms responsible for the content they disseminate. But in reality there are many wealthy and powerful vested interests that would have to be overcome. Probably the only hope is that corporate America finally realize this path leads to ruin and join the fight to stop it. But we will all hate each other by then. And by ‘then’ I mean by now.

I didn’t resist taking the polio vaccine because it was on a sugar cube. Yes, I’m also that old. Also took it because my great uncle had polio.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    You're out of your element here Donnie, I mean Dedgummit. You have no frame of reference.
    My frame of reference was a (Coen Brothers') movie-- I thought the irony (sarcasm?) was evident, but I guess not.

My frame of reference was a (Coen Brothers') movie-- I thought the irony (sarcasm?) was evident, but I guess not.
    I can get you a toe, Dude — er, Dedgumnit.

I quoted from the same movie!!!! I was playing along!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by OldPhiKap View Post
    I can get you a toe, Dude — er, Dedgumnit.
    I thought Dedgummit's quote really tied the thread together. Now I feel bad my reference failed.

Quote Originally Posted by ClemmonsDevil View Post
    I quoted from the same movie!!!! I was playing along!!!!!
    Oops! My bad-- but I have an excuse-- I've never seen the entire movie-- guess I shouldn't play with (Coen Brothers') fire with this crowd.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Oops! My bad-- but I have an excuse-- I've never seen the entire movie-- guess I shouldn't play with (Coen Brothers') fire with this crowd.
    Yeah, you really shouldn't.

Hahaha! No worries. Now go watch it! It's genius!

Dude, you have homework tonight.

Or I’ll start quoting The Jesus and get banned.

Quote Originally Posted by Skydog View Post
    I didn’t resist taking the polio vaccine because it was on a sugar cube. Yes, I’m also that old. Also took it because my great uncle had polio.
    My mom remembers being one of the older kids in school asked to help line up the young ones to get their shots. No one questioned it, the parents were notified by a letter sent home, and everyone was vaccinated.

She also remembers my grandmother, who was a nurse, calling home several times a day to check on her and my uncle to make sure they were OK.

Aye aye...I plan to get on it immediately...

Meanwhile, no one seemed to notice the Whizzo Chocolate Company's sighting in this thread.

You will start hitting Enter on your keyboard until it goes click?

Just wanted to post the latest poll about vaccines and Covid from CNN: https://www.cnn.com/2021/09/13/polit...tes/index.html

More than half of Americans now say they support requiring vaccinations for office workers returning to the workplace (54%), students attending in-person classes (55%) and patrons attending sporting events or concerts (55%), although fewer (41%) support requiring vaccinations for a shopper to enter a grocery store.

Support for these mandates has risen across the board since April, growing 6 percentage points with regard to students, 8 points regarding office workers and event attendees, and 15 points regarding grocery shoppers.
    I found these numbers interesting in showing our national divide, both along partisan lines and regarding the vaxed and the unvaxed:

-Jason "in terms of vaccination rates, the poll found the following: Democrats - 88% vaxed, Ind - 68% vaxed, GOP - 60% - vaxed... 35% of Republicans say they will never get vaccinated under any circumstances" Evans
    Last edited by JasonEvans; 09-13-2021 at 06:52 AM.
    Why are you wasting time here when you could be wasting it by listening to the latest episode of the DBR Podcast?