Page 851 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 351751801841849850851852853861901951 ... LastLast
Results 17,001 to 17,020 of 22200
    Quote Originally Posted by Dedgummit View Post
    No doubt-- that's why I mentioned her in there, with JI, in this post-- but I was specifically mentioning the things she has done to help combat the virus (funding the vaccine program at Vandy) in the last two years-- that is "of a feather" with what JI is doing here. The (I believe) indisputable fact that she has been a pioneer, a groundbreaker, a standard bearer (pick your exemplary appellation of choice) for a looooooong time, for ALL KINDS of things that don't particularly fit very well into the country music universe is, I would contend, not debatable (although I know you don't like it when I use such descriptive words, as you seem to feel that it cuts off debate, on a forum that is MEANT to facilitate debate-- so apologies, in advance, for using that somewhat jarring, abrupt description of Dolly's "attributes" ).
    For all the jokes she's endured over the years, the joke is mainly on those who would disparage her.

Quote Originally Posted by CameronBlue View Post
    That's a whole new set of contour lines, cartographers the world over would NOT be happy. The Black, what, Hills? Naw, no I don't think so.
    One of the national parks in Wyoming that might be an appropriate place.

For all the jokes she's endured over the years, the joke is mainly on those who would disparage her.
    If Dolly were Catholic, they'd be talking about beatifying her, not long after her demise (which, let's hope, is not imminent).

“I don’t mind ‘dumb blonde’ jokes. I know I’m not dumb. Or blonde.”

— Dolly Parton

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Every day that goes by, I get more and more comfortable with my decision to never have joined Facebook.
    I was just about to write that when I saw your post. The more I hear about Faceplant from friends, the happier I get at avoiding that cesspool. One of the most harmful inventions for society ever.

If Dolly were Catholic, they'd be talking about beatifying her, not long after her demise (which, let's hope, is not imminent).
    Yeah, my Rushmore comment wasn’t a joke. She is a phenomenal human being on top of being an amazing talent and window into a unique bit of Americana. The world is MUCH better for Dolly being in it.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Ash View Post
    This whole thing, like politics, has really caused problems in my social media feed.

An ex of mine recently put up a Facebook post about how the CDC is planning to create "concentration camps" to isolate people with covid, and basically we are heading towards the entire country being enslaved. To back it up, they provided a screenshot of a few sentences from a CDC analysis of the use of shielding to protect vulnerable populations in refugee situations (although of course none of this was included.)

When this was pointed out, it began this whole argument over opinions, and how it is this persons opinion that the CDC is planning this, and even though links were provided to the actual original document, there was no shifting them.

Lunacy.
    You can't pick your blood relations, but you can pick your ex-wife, so this is clearly your fault.
    Sage Grouse

---------------------------------------
    'When I got on the bus for my first road game at Duke, I saw that every player was carrying textbooks or laptops. I coached in the SEC for 25 years, and I had never seen that before, not even once.' - David Cutcliffe to Duke alumni in Washington, DC, June 2013

Quote Originally Posted by acdevil View Post
    Every day that goes by, I get more and more comfortable with my decision to never have joined Facebook.
    Sometimes it's fun to bait the idiots, though. I think I just picked on rsvman's sister-in-law. A friend of a friend, from WV, who I'm pretty sure thinks Pfizer has two vaccines and 'Comirnaty' is being withheld from the public.

Quote Originally Posted by sagegrouse View Post
    You can't pick your blood relations, but you can pick your ex-wife, so this is clearly your fault.
    Must spread...

And thankfully, nipped that one in the early girlfriend stage.

BTW, I sort of called her out for it, mentioning what the paper was actually about. Here was her response, for the enjoyment of everyone here:

"Darling... I understand just fine what I am posting. But my knowledge out weighs yours since I've read the Bible and have a understanding of the things to come. So step back your six feet before you catch a understanding."

Couldn't hit the de-friend button quick enough Worst part? She's a Duke fan!
    Last edited by Lord Ash; 09-03-2021 at 01:31 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Duke79UNLV77 View Post
    As Isbell's song says, "Be afraid, be very afraid. Do it anyway, do it anyway. And we don't take requests, we won't shut up and sing. Tell the truth enough, you find it rhymes with everything."

I was scrolling IG before going to sleep last night and was surprised to see Isbell interviewing Fauci! Most of the comments were positive, but there were also some anti-vaxxer comments. I'm sure Isbell is fine with losing some fans in exchange for convincing a few to get the dang shot.
    Isbell has long demonstrated he's not afraid to attack the worst impulses of his fan base.

I'm glad we agree. I was prepared to go to the wall on the Dolly issue.

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Isbell has long demonstrated he's not afraid to attack the worst impulses of his fan base.
    You beat me to it, Jim. Isbell hasn't been around as long as Dolly, but for quite a while he and his wife Amanda Shires have been willing to support causes that could cost them fans.

15 teachers die in Miami-Dade in about nine or ten school days.

https://nbc-2.com/news/health/covid/...19-in-10-days/

Large district with some 18k teachers.

Curious about vaccination status.

My students show up next week.

While tragic, the vast majority of cases of teachers/staff have been traced to contacts outside of school. School seemingly has been one of the safest places based on the data I have seen and what has been suggested by the CDC (when mitigation efforts are in place). I don't know when Miami started school but death also follows contact 2-3 weeks later usually so may have been contacted before school even started which wouldn't be a surprise given the ridiculous numbers in Florida right now.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    While tragic, the vast majority of cases of teachers/staff have been traced to contacts outside of school. School seemingly has been one of the safest places based on the data I have seen and what has been suggested by the CDC (when mitigation efforts are in place). I don't know when Miami started school but death also follows contact 2-3 weeks later usually so may have been contacted before school even started which wouldn't be a surprise given the ridiculous numbers in Florida right now.
    I haven’t seen anything about the tracing done in these cases. Basing dedications on pre delta school experiences may not tell us much… I wonder if we really have a handle yet on how delta in particular spreads in schools, given vaccination and masking rates. I believe they have been in school since August 23, so about ten or eleven days.

I believe I heard ABCnews say they were not vaccinated.

Interesting that the UK's Joint Committee on Vaccination and Immunisation does not recommend vaccinations for healthy 12 to 15 year olds.

"children are at such low risk from the virus, the JCVI decided that vaccination would offer only "marginal gain" and, therefore, there was "insufficient" evidence to offer mass vaccination to this age group."

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-5843...o3Gvf4Tb8Jq9kM

They do recommend it for those with certain conditions.

This makes me kinda nervous about how likely vaccines will be approved for even younger kids and the fact that we're not going to be going back to anything resembling normal at schools until that's the case. I guess one could argue that the vaccines for children are beneficial to society because it might reduce spread. When evaluating this, are regulators supposed to only look at it from an INDIVIDUAL risk/reward/benefit perspective or do they consider societal impacts?

Quote Originally Posted by jimsumner View Post
    Drama at Gorge Amphitheater in George, WA, tonight. Dave Matthews announced that drummer Carter Beauford and bassist Stefan Lessard have tested positive (both vaxxed) and will not join the band tonight. What a Charlie Foxtrot.
    "Amazing what a minute can do."

Interesting article from The Atlantic from a couple of days ago regarding young kids and masks.

Boston area, OK, Newton, right by Heartbreak Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Wheat/"/"/" View Post
    Interesting article from The Atlantic from a couple of days ago regarding young kids and masks.
    This article agrees with one of my previous posts. The answer about masking school children is "we don't know" and the answer about how much it affects kids in other ways is also "we don't know". It is probably time to do a randomized controlled trial. We wouldn't even have to run it for very long.

And you know, like I posted before, in the UK where they don't want to have the kids masked up at school, they ask them to mask up on their way to school and a much larger percentage of the adults around them are vaccinated. The UK has prioritized their school aged children. We haven't. Any parent protesting masking in school needs to get vaccinated, otherwise it's a hollow argument. If you aren't willing to take precautions, your kids really don't belong in public places. Even if kids are at low risk of serious disease, they do become infected and they do spread the disease. Having people around you die when you are very young does damage too - and not just family members, having your teacher or caregiver die packs a huge emotional punch.