Page 777 of 1110 FirstFirst ... 277677727767775776777778779787827877 ... LastLast
Results 15,521 to 15,540 of 22195
    Quote Originally Posted by SavDukeGrad View Post
    In Savannah’s 3 hospitals, there has been a 70% increase in COVID hospitalizations in the past week.

And in an article yesterday, the CEO of 2 of our hospitals said that the admissions have been averaging 77% unvaccinated, 23% vaccinated.

Although to be fair, we do also get the serious cases from the surrounding region.
    My wife's employer has had hospitalizations go from 10 on July 1 to 78 on July 31. 92% unvaccinated (and she was told 92% is lower than the national average).

Quote Originally Posted by cspan37421 View Post
    Well at least it didn't have a crunchy frog in there.
    This deserves Sporkz which, alas, I cannot give.

My 11yo son contracted COVID at a camp last week while my wife and I were on a business trip. My 74yo parents picked him up from camp on Thursday and spent 2 days in close contact with him. Both are fully vaccinated with Moderna. My wife (J&J), 3 other kids (Pfizer) and I (also Pfizer) are all fully vaccinated. Our 11yo started feeling off on Thursday but didn’t think much of it and didn’t say anything. By Friday evening when my wife and I returned home, he had slight nasal congestion and a low-grade fever (99.8). We gave him a rapid test that came back positive on Sat morning. Yesterday afternoon our entire family and my parents took PCR tests. We received results today that confirmed our 11yo’s positive test but everyone in our immediate family was negative. My parents received one negative result but the second test didn’t come back today. Praying for a one more negative result tomorrow.

In any case, I was encouraged that we haven’t seen any breakthrough infections, at least to this point. In the meantime, my 11yo is doing well. No cough, the fever broke Sunday, and he has a slight runny nose. He continues to isolate in our basement and we will go for another round of tests at the end of the week.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    My 11yo son contracted COVID at a camp last week while my wife and I were on a business trip. My 74yo parents picked him up from camp on Thursday and spent 2 days in close contact with him. Both are fully vaccinated with Moderna. My wife (J&J), 3 other kids (Pfizer) and I (also Pfizer) are all fully vaccinated. Our 11yo started feeling off on Thursday but didn’t think much of it and didn’t say anything. By Friday evening when my wife and I returned home, he had slight nasal congestion and a low-grade fever (99.8). We gave him a rapid test that came back positive on Sat morning. Yesterday afternoon our entire family and my parents took PCR tests. We received results today that confirmed our 11yo’s positive test but everyone in our immediate family was negative. My parents received one negative result but the second test didn’t come back today. Praying for a one more negative result tomorrow.

In any case, I was encouraged that we haven’t seen any breakthrough infections, at least to this point. In the meantime, my 11yo is doing well. No cough, the fever broke Sunday, and he has a slight runny nose. He continues to isolate in our basement and we will go for another round of tests at the end of the week.
    Best wishes to your family. That sucks. Also stinks that your 11 year old is right on the cusp of vaccine age. Not like there's anything magical about 12 but I guess they had to choose a specific age. Glad to hear at least it's trending positively.

I think one of the saddest parts about COVID has been the isolation factor of those infected. Particularly those who died in a hospital not being able to see or touch their loved ones.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Not like there's anything magical about 12 but I guess they had to choose a specific age. Glad to hear at least it's trending positively.
    Not specifically to one kid, but in general puberty. Things like hormones change how a body works. So there is something magical about that age.

Quote Originally Posted by PackMan97 View Post
    Not specifically to one kid, but in general puberty. Things like hormones change how a body works. So there is something magical about that age.
    That is true, however, puberty doesn't usually BEGIN until 12 (for boys, 11 for girls) and for many, it starts much later, so clearly the trial of 12-year olds must have included a decent pre-pubescent population. (Also given that puberty itself is like a 4-year process.) But, yeah, certainly it's true that as humans, our development is an ongoing process and there are differences at different ages. Agree with that. Just saying that it's not like a child who is 11 years 360 days is really at any greater risk/concern from the vax vs a child who is 12 years 10 days old. It varies greatly how 'mature' one's body is individual to individual. But you have to have the cutoff somewhere...

That is true, however, puberty doesn't usually BEGIN until 12 (for boys, 11 for girls) and for many, it starts much later, so clearly the trial of 12-year olds must have included a decent pre-pubescent population. (Also given that puberty itself is like a 4-year process.)
    It’s a somewhat arbitrary line, but it’s the line drawn. I imagine we could vax most 11 year olds with no problem. Most 10 year olds, too. But our approval systems are built around those lines.

Looking forward to getting to a much lower arbitrary line!

-jk

There is a long history in medicine of testing new medications in adults first, then in kids ages 12-18, then kids ages 6-12 (usually), and then younger if necessary. It has ever been thus.

I don't know if anybody really knows how it got started that way, but it is definitely entrenched. The vaccine manufacturers chose 12-18 based on precedent.
    "We are not provided with wisdom, we must discover it for ourselves, after a journey through the wilderness which no one else can take for us, an effort which no one can spare us, for our wisdom is the point of view from which we come at last to regard the world." --M. Proust

Quote Originally Posted by rsvman View Post
    There is a long history in medicine of testing new medications in adults first, then in kids ages 12-18, then kids ages 6-12 (usually), and then younger if necessary. It has ever been thus.

I don't know if anybody really knows how it got started that way, but it is definitely entrenched. The vaccine manufacturers chose 12-18 based on precedent.
    Makes sense, thanks for sharing. I'm glad that Pfizer is doing 5-11 year olds this time around (instead of starting at 6) so my son can hopefully get one soon! I assume they did that because of "school age" beginning at 5.

I've concluded that the REAL reason why so many are refusing to be jabbed is that they're needle sissies. I think they should be taunted as such until they man (or woman) up. Not sure why this wasn't clear to me sooner.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I've concluded that the REAL reason why so many are refusing to be jabbed is that they're needle sissies. I think they should be taunted as such until they man (or woman) up. Not sure why this wasn't clear to me sooner.
    A fully vaccinated needle sissy says hello...
    Kyle gets BUCKETS!
    https://youtu.be/NJWPASQZqLc

Quote Originally Posted by Furniture View Post
    A fully vaccinated needle sissy says hello...
    Me too.

From a medium sized metro area of about 2 million:

Screenshot_20210804-134732_Twitter.jpg

63.4% of 12+ are fully vaccinated.

Quote Originally Posted by budwom View Post
    I've concluded that the REAL reason why so many are refusing to be jabbed is that they're needle sissies.
    Likely an issue for many single dosers also.

Quote Originally Posted by YmoBeThere View Post
    Likely an issue for many single dosers also.
    Given that most people I have talked to, including myself, did not even feel the needle, I politely disagree with that idea.

Edit: Unless their arms were sore, and they wussied out on the second one based on that.

Both of my parents are negative, so that’s a huge weight off my mind. All 7 fully vaccinated family members came back negative. While it’s a minuscule sample size, we’re all very grateful that the vaccines are proving very effective in our specific situation.

Quote Originally Posted by mph View Post
    Both of my parents are negative, so that’s a huge weight off my mind. All 7 fully vaccinated family members came back negative. While it’s a minuscule sample size, we’re all very grateful that the vaccines are proving very effective in our specific situation.
    Great news!

That is true, however, puberty doesn't usually BEGIN until 12 (for boys, 11 for girls) and for many, it starts much later, so clearly the trial of 12-year olds must have included a decent pre-pubescent population. (Also given that puberty itself is like a 4-year process.) But, yeah, certainly it's true that as humans, our development is an ongoing process and there are differences at different ages. Agree with that. Just saying that it's not like a child who is 11 years 360 days is really at any greater risk/concern from the vax vs a child who is 12 years 10 days old. It varies greatly how 'mature' one's body is individual to individual. But you have to have the cutoff somewhere...
    You make a pretty good argument that 12 is the appropriate cutoff.
    Carolina delenda est

I used to be a needle wussie...until I witnessed my wife's needle biopsy for breast cancer. Manning up for a vaccination is a very low bar.